General Category > OT Knowledge

Home Insurance

(1/3) > >>

Efrogwr:
Our home insurance renewal premium is massively more than last year. It's currently with Nationwide BS.

I looked at a couple of co parison websites, but the premiums anc cover vary wildly.

I don't mind chasing quotes, but where to start? I've got quotes from Tesco, Marks&Spencer and John Lewis. I'll try Adrian Flux and NFU Mutual, but that means phone calls... I'll need to make time.

Can anyone suggest more providers? And also point out pitfalls/snags?

Flite:
From the Consumers Association:

--- Quote ---NFU Mutual was our only Which? Recommended Provider (WRP) this year.
--- End quote ---

We have had all our house, vehicle and bike insurance with the NFU for about 50 years.
For service when you need it (and we certainly have!), you won't do better.
When we phone, it's answered quickly by a real person in a local office, who has an accent I can understand.
We do compare every so often, but checking like for like is difficult.
When car insurance premiums went up last year, I phoned and we adjusted the estimated mileage and excess, and it came down quite a lot. (Better than LV)
And when there was a delay in our payment last year (slow Royal Mail), they phoned to check:
"Don't worry, we will keep you covered, we know the money is on it's way"

rr:
Halifax have been good for us and bikes for the last couple of years.

MikeFromLFE:
NFU are selective about which areas they will cover - my postcode is excluded by NFU (and bizarrely by the Coop).
After experience of the level of service from a cheap car insurance provider I deliberately looked at the service reviews for claims on house insurance before I looked at the price.
I'm currently with M&S (who I think are fronting for Aviva) although John Lewis was a close second.
Thankfully I've not yet had to test the claims process - which is where the proof of the pudding comes in.
I'm extremely sceptical about cheap insurance - where are they cutting costs? I'd guess it's in the claims handling.

Jurek:
The above ^ echoes my experience both with the NFU and M&S.
The impression I had from the NFU was that they'll cover you if you live in the countryside, but not in London - but I may've imagined that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version