Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369451 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #700 on: 21 August, 2013, 10:16:51 am »
When I was out on the canal at the weekend, with that in mind I briefly about shouting something along those lines to the double kayak that passed us at one point  ;) - the guy at the back really wasn't paddling.  I decided against it.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #701 on: 21 August, 2013, 10:17:07 am »
We like the ones who get so excited that they forget the word 'tandem'.

We've had teenagers jumping up and down with delight at seeing a 'double bike', 'tricycle', and several others.
Getting there...

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #702 on: 21 August, 2013, 10:53:38 am »

Or never knew it in the first place...?  Garage forecourt, Penrith, audax o'clock, after the pubs have chucked out: 
fook, look at the length of that bike!

Chris S

« Reply #703 on: 21 August, 2013, 10:56:51 am »
"Hey, look! It's a two-er"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #704 on: 21 August, 2013, 10:57:39 am »
In the same category: 'Longbike!', 'Carry bike!'

In a different category: 'Lesbians!'
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #705 on: 21 August, 2013, 11:03:07 am »
In a different category: 'Lesbians!'

I've had that while walking down the street on my own.  I think it's the shoes.

« Reply #706 on: 21 August, 2013, 01:56:30 pm »
Along the lines of what happened to me - do you ever get a rendition of 'Daisy, Daisy...?'

I'm guessing it would be nice if they had that much imagination ;)
Nowhere near as often as "She's not pedalling at the back", which is always hilarious  ::-)

(We even had that from simonp at Loughton. Was that really the best you could come up with?)

Come on now, it's as obligatory as shouting "She's fallen off" when seeing someone solo.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #707 on: 21 August, 2013, 02:02:21 pm »
Last night, on the way back to the digs, I got a "Nice calves you have there", in the most cut glass RP I have heard in a while.

Made me feel she was assessing a horse, but then it would have been fetlocks, surely, not calves?

You are right. Horses have fetlocks. Cows have calves. HTH.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #708 on: 21 August, 2013, 06:00:30 pm »
Along the lines of what happened to me - do you ever get a rendition of 'Daisy, Daisy...?'

Nowhere near as often as "She's not pedalling at the back", which is always hilarious  ::-)

(We even had that from simonp at Loughton. Was that really the best you could come up with?)

Come on now, it's as obligatory as shouting "She's fallen off" when seeing someone solo.

I once rode the tandem up the Rochdale Canal towpath almost from Brighouse to Todmorden, passing a great many people on the way, without even once being vouchsafed that information.  I was disappointed with the Great British Public. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #709 on: 21 August, 2013, 07:35:07 pm »

We once had a full chorus of it that finished just as the lights we were waiting at changed to green. It was fantastic!

'Lesbians!' Addressed to me and NSTN is definitely one of my favourite heckles!

Today a small child pointed at Nye's trailer and remarked to his mother 'that's cool'. They then stood and watched me puffing up the hill, trying not to look as though it was hard work!

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #710 on: 21 August, 2013, 08:45:52 pm »

We've had teenagers jumping up and down with delight at seeing a 'double bike', 'tricycle', and several others.
Strange that, because as a tricyclist I find it not unusual to have my machine called  a tandem.  The strangest thing is that some club bicyclists confuse the terms and simply cannot dredge tricycle from their vocabularies.  I've even had people ask me what I call it, to which I've been tempted to respond "Terry".

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #711 on: 26 August, 2013, 12:11:13 am »
One of the guys over on CycleChat got seranaded on the way home ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsyug0dhE-s
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #712 on: 26 August, 2013, 02:08:45 am »
One of the guys over on CycleChat got seranaded on the way home ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsyug0dhE-s

That was beautiful and the lyrics were factual too. He did have a camera on his heed. I was a little disappointed there wasn't more swearing though.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #713 on: 15 September, 2013, 02:48:20 pm »
...or rather a cyclist (me) shouting at a POB.

He was a mature man riding down Balcombe Road in the darkness. MTBSO, carrier bag swinging from left handlebar, dark clothing, no lights of any kind, and heading past the last houses into Sussex.

"Some lights might be nice!"
"What's your effing problem?"
"Not me, I'm not the one who's going to get killed"

Darwin...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #714 on: 25 September, 2013, 04:15:40 pm »
" … cycle path"

was all I could understand from a red-faced passenger in a black 4x4 as I sailed along the Kings Road on the seafront in Brighton yesterday evening (lovely warm evening too). Maybe he was red of face because he'd mustered up the courage to splurt an authoritative I'll-show-this-cyclist-who's-boss rant or, he was suddenly embarrassed, finding out I wasn't as he assumed, some 'young blade' hogging the Queen's highway, nor was I slowing their's or anybody else's car down for that matter. It mattered not that I was maintaining the same speed as the car in front (around 25-30mph in my estimation). Nor did it matter, that at this particular stretch of the road you can fit two cars-wide easily, and the only obsticle preventing this twat from going any faster, or at least impeding his progress was … other vehicles and red lights at pedestrian crossings. I could have instructed him in the absurdity of me cycling at that speed on a shared path with slower cyclists, mums with toddlers, runners, dog-walkers, young and older couples walking and enjoying the sunshine. But I didn't. What an arse.

"… traffic jam"

Was the last bit of shit to issue from his fat jowly gob. I was calmly trying to conjure something erudite, factual or at the very least – witty to say in reply. My brain kept coming up with "Fuck off and have a heart attack."

So I remained silent and ignored the fat slob. This happened yesterday evening, and just typing now it's difficult to just "Let it go." But I'll try.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #715 on: 25 September, 2013, 07:18:37 pm »
I have to admit to once using the following riposte to an overweight shouter of the "you should be on the cycle path" variety.

"So should you, you fat blob."

Not clever, but it's the only time I have ever managed to say something which, after the event, I was struggling to come up with anything better.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #716 on: 07 October, 2013, 03:14:57 pm »
Not an oik, but yesterday a cyclist who waited patiently while barakta completed the 9-point turn required to negotiate a Silly Sustrans Gate came out with the confusing question:

"Are you doing the half-marathon?"

Now, I'm aware that there's a half-marathon in the area on the 20th, so they were probably referring to that (because otherwise the reply would be "no, I'm trying to cycle through a Silly Sustrans Gate"), but other than that it seemed like a fairly random thing to ask.

Once we were a bit further down the road, barakta pointed out that they appeared to be doing the wheelchair voice.   :facepalm:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #717 on: 07 October, 2013, 03:59:30 pm »
"The wheelchair voice."
I'm pretty sure I can imagine what that is.
How does it go?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #718 on: 07 October, 2013, 05:31:06 pm »
On the final evening of my tour with Nutkin last year she fell so deeply asleep that I couldn't wake her sufficiently for her to come for a meal at the pub some three miles or so away, so I rode the tandem solo.

Just as I was leaving the pub after a very good 3-course meal a bloke was arriving.

"Blimey!" said he, "I'm seeing double and I haven't even had a drink yet!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #719 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:15:34 pm »
"The wheelchair voice."
I'm pretty sure I can imagine what that is.
How does it go?

You know the one.  Same patronising tone used for age-inappropriate conversations with other people's children.  Traditionally used for expressing how brave the wheelchair user must be, or pointlessly and conspicuously directing questions at their companion.

I suppose it's better than all the scrounger rhetoric, thobut.

ETA:  Barakta has just demonstrated the associated "wheelchair face".  She'll do it for you some time in exchange for your awesome geese impression.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #720 on: 11 October, 2013, 01:10:05 pm »
Riding home last night I climbed a small incline near my house  and overheard two young lads (about 8-10 years old) - as I went past one went 'Wooooooow!  Olympic bike!'

Cool, nicest thing anyone's said about my bike  :thumbsup: 8)

I notice they didn't have the same awe for the guy riding it ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #721 on: 17 November, 2013, 05:48:07 pm »
We had a new one from WVM, shouted at our peleton just before we turned off the main road out of town onto quieter lanes. Summat like:

"You're supposed to ride in sixes, wankers!"

No problem with us being 2-abreast, apparently! Shame he didn't have his personal copy of the HC handy to show us.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #722 on: 17 November, 2013, 06:45:05 pm »
Two pre-teen boys shouted at me in Stockton, it might have been, "You're falling off! Hahahaha"  They shouted this contrary to evidence available to them at the time.  Apart from the difference in opinion on my state of being upright, what really struck me was why these children thought their opinion was of value to me.

I managed not to prove them right for the remainder of my ride.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #723 on: 18 November, 2013, 10:14:01 am »
We had a new one from WVM, shouted at our peleton just before we turned off the main road out of town onto quieter lanes. Summat like:

"You're supposed to ride in sixes, wankers!"

No problem with us being 2-abreast, apparently! Shame he didn't have his personal copy of the HC handy to show us.
Maybe he was getting mixed up between a club ride and a cub ride  ???
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #724 on: 18 November, 2013, 10:21:36 am »
Not an oik, and not a cyclist, either.  I was crossing Purley Way on a pedestrian crossing with a green light.  There were a number of vehicles over the line, including a big white van completely blocking the crossing.  I pushed the buggy round the front of the van, and the passenger window wound down.  When I heard what he said, I wheeled round so quickly, I could see him cringe back away from the window.

Actually, I'd turned round because what he'd said was 'Sorry'.  OK, that's not quite enough - far better not to have done it in the first place.  But, because he said that, I thought I should respond.  Not to say 'That's all right' in a very English way, since it just wasn't all right.  But I acknowledged his apology, and said how good it was that he had made the effort.  I want to encourage good behaviour even more than I want to eradicate bad.
Getting there...