Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369408 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #725 on: 18 November, 2013, 09:10:34 pm »
About half a dozen older teenagers in suits - i guess doing work experience or something - walked straight out in front of me on Tower Hill. My shout of something like "Whoa, do pay attention young chaps" was greeted with a chorus of' "Wear a helmet".

That'll learn me.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #726 on: 18 November, 2013, 10:10:39 pm »
Last week end had verbal abuse twice. Always seems to come from 10 year old clapped out motors with resident spotted Youf but this time included female passenger verbiage. In fairness to young folk generally though, a group of us had to unblock a pathway blocked by young folk doing their thing with their motors post night time rave presumably and there was no bad language or any attitude at all, so well done to them.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #727 on: 26 November, 2013, 08:07:49 pm »
On last weekend's Dinner Dart Audax at about 11:30pm riding through Leicester City centre on the Pashly - a lone voice called out "wanker" as they overtook me.

Highlight of the ride really.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #728 on: 15 February, 2014, 12:10:48 pm »
Obese person* crossing road in Brighton, by clock towere on Queens, to some cyclists.

"Dickheads!"

Well, they were riding through the crowd of pedestrians and through a red light. Two minutes later, of course, a white van made an illegal right turn through another group of 'green man' pedestrians.

*It was me doing the shouting...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #729 on: 15 February, 2014, 02:04:10 pm »
Bzzzz!

Deviation!

Calling a dickhead a dickhead isn't the same as a dickhead shouting something stupid at a non dickhead.
You are neither an oik, dickhead or stupid, so your claim is invalid.
Sorry. :(

« Reply #730 on: 15 February, 2014, 03:01:02 pm »
Along the lines of what happened to me - do you ever get a rendition of 'Daisy, Daisy...?'

I'm guessing it would be nice if they had that much imagination ;)
Nowhere near as often as "She's not pedalling at the back", which is always hilarious  ::-)

(We even had that from simonp at Loughton. Was that really the best you could come up with?)

To that comment, I generally say "Stoker got banned for insubordination... [looking at heckler] and lack or originality!"

It earned a 'Sorry' once!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #731 on: 15 February, 2014, 06:23:08 pm »
You're fat! You're fat! You're fat! ... (repeated until out my earshot)

Yebbut,  in my case that is true....
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

spindrift

« Reply #732 on: 15 February, 2014, 06:31:32 pm »
How's this for timing Steph, went round a mate's and was gasping so drank a can of coke too quickly and set off back home, rode past the Artichoke pub and some beer-users at the table outside shouted some old bollocks or other, I swallowed and BARKED a mahoosive belch and followed in with "Your mum".

Beer users:  "Arooga rooga smurfle bleurgh"

Me, instantaneously: "BRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPP. Your mum."

Quality.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #733 on: 18 March, 2014, 12:42:40 pm »
I actually managed to catch a comment for once last night.

Bunch of lads and ladies of teenage years crossing the road ahead of me (mostly) yesterday evening.  A few shouted comments were indecipherable but the last one boggled me - "Your wheel is following you mate!"
 ???

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #734 on: 18 March, 2014, 12:51:30 pm »
I got a "Sexy lady!" from a gaggle of teenage girls yesterday.  I assume because I'm fat.

caerau

« Reply #735 on: 18 March, 2014, 01:24:10 pm »
It's a charming time of life eh.  Sadly I cannot but fess up to being somewhat like that myself at a similar age so I cannot hold it against them too much.

« Reply #736 on: 19 March, 2014, 07:04:00 pm »
A lot of the time I can't hear what is being shouted out of the car window.  Or why the driver has pipped their horn.  My preferred response is a friendly smile and wave.

If it is someone who knows me that's an appropriate response.  If it is an aggressive metal box type it is also an appropriate response.  If they always travel by car, and therefore take little exercise, I'm helping to raise the blood pressure and reduce their life expectancy ....

Long term effect - more cyclists and pedestrians, fewer car-dependent types?
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

caerau

« Reply #737 on: 21 March, 2014, 10:42:09 am »
Well 3 days on the trot I've been abused on the approach to my house on they way home in the evening.  >:( >:( >:(

Last night was particularly pleasant with some fuckwit deliberately swinging a large rope around his head more or less at me as I came past.
The way I feel about it at the moment is he'll be having to visit casualty to have it surgically removed from his rectum next time.
Or I might just waste my breath and phone the police next time.  >:( >:( >:(

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #738 on: 31 March, 2014, 09:41:41 am »
Just outside Wivenhoe, guy on an MTB walking his dog shouted "Oh you've got a Croix De Fer"  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D
216km from Marsh Gibbon

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #739 on: 31 March, 2014, 01:44:44 pm »
Does that belong in here, or in the  'Cyclists shouting stuff at oiks' thread :P
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #740 on: 03 April, 2014, 12:10:11 am »
GET ON THE ROAD!

Me, to a lass on the pavement who barely stopped in front of me, then swore at me for having the temerity to, you know, be walking on the pavement. It was touch n go for a second whether her brakes would stop her.

An amusing role reversal - but nowhere near as good as the time when I was walking home, only to feel a jab in my ribs from behind. I looked back to see a lad supine but still half-astride a bike, a phone still stuck to his ear and chips everywhere.

I shook my head at the scene and walked on, and a driver waved me down - turns out, he'd been riding along the pavement no-handed, phone in one hand and chips in the other, until he lost control and hit me. Chips went everywhere.

I'm sure I remember hearing him say "my chips!" through a mouthful of chips.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #741 on: 03 April, 2014, 12:22:51 am »
Since we don't have a "Roadies shouting stuff at other cyclists" thread, this seems like as good a place as any for:

Time-triallist on the road outside the campsite on Saturday.  As per tradition[1] for the final day of a tour, I'd ended up mixed in with the disc wheels and tri bars brigade trundling back to the start point, making about the same pace on my touring recumbent with full[2] set of panniers.  One of the cyclists giving it the beans on the way out saw this and lost valuable seconds to momentary hysterics.

In a similar vein, Roadie Sr and Roadie Jr passed yesterday, and Roadie Jr was compelled to sit bolt upright and shout "WHAT THE FU...?" at me, while Roadie Sr looked mildly embarrassed.  I imagine they had an awkward birds-and-the-bees-style talk about the dark side when they got home.

[1] If it's not the time-trial it's the mass charity ride.
[2] Mostly with feather-encapsulated air, as befits camping in March.

AlexR

« Reply #742 on: 04 April, 2014, 07:41:59 pm »
It is a regular occurrence for me to get shouted or laughed at,when I am in the Quest,even had cars mount the pavement to pull over and gawp as I pass by.It makes the journey more interesting.
On the upright,I get the normal,shouting out of passenger windows,or abuse if the cant get past,I normally ask them to repeat it for the camera on my helmet.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #743 on: 29 April, 2014, 12:40:32 am »
I got barked at (in the dog noises sense) by a couple of men today, though I suspect that's more #EverydaySexism than cycling-specific abuse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #744 on: 29 April, 2014, 12:35:29 pm »
I got "We love you" from a girl of indeterminate age leaning out of the window of a big black four-by-four. The plural was odd, but what was funny was they overtook me and then turned in to a side turning I was just about to take - and then realised it wasn't the one I wanted, in fact it only went to a farm. I wonder if she thought I was following her to reciprocate her (their?) romantic declarations, but I suppose it's more likely she didn't even notice.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #745 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:06:16 pm »
Last night a MAMIL cyclist oik in full repicla Sky Kit and a pointy helmet came hurtling past me poodling across Westminster Bridge on my Brompton - I was rapidly catching up a Boris Biker, and had done an over shoulder check to see if I could pull round him, and this guy was right on my shoulder, overtaking really close given he had a whole bus lane to play with - and shouted - "Where's your helmet" as I commit the cardinal sin of not wearing a full lycra body suit and looking like a normal person.

Lets not veer off into a full helmet debate here, but it's none of his damn business!  >:(

fuzzy

« Reply #746 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:08:09 pm »
Last night a MAMIL cyclist oik in full repicla Sky Kit and a pointy helmet came hurtling past me poodling across Westminster Bridge on my Brompton - I was rapidly catching up a Boris Biker, and had done an over shoulder check to see if I could pull round him, and this guy was right on my shoulder, overtaking really close given he had a whole bus lane to play with - and shouted - "Where's your helmet" as I commit the cardinal sin of not wearing a full lycra body suit and looking like a normal person.

Lets not veer off into a full helmet debate here, but it's none of his damn business!  >:(

"Same place as your clue you twat!" might have been an appropriate response.

« Reply #747 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:12:34 pm »
I can never think of a witty response at the time of these things, apart from generalised and uncharacteristic for me otherwise, profanities.  Which isn't very ladylike.

fuzzy

« Reply #748 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:13:56 pm »
I can never think of a witty response at the time of these things, apart from generalised and uncharacteristic for me otherwise, profanities.  Which isn't very ladylike.

The "you twat" at the end is, of course, entirely optional ;)

« Reply #749 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:30:10 pm »
For some reason if someone cuts me up in a motorised vehicle or is generally acting like an idiot, the word 'wanker' always springs to mind.  I have no idea why.