Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 373676 times)

fuzzy

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #750 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:34:29 pm »
I bow to your superior knowledge :-*

spindrift

« Reply #751 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:51:09 pm »
Sorry I missed that, you'd have had a vocal ally. Or I would have killed him in the face.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #752 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:57:05 pm »
Apologies Fuzzy but, I think you'll find, the correct and much more concise (and condensed) response is: "Twat!"*

*Based on the overtaking bullying cyclists speed v the innocent recipient's own speed.

Variables of response should be considered of course, depending each rider's relevant speed at the time of contact.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #753 on: 29 April, 2014, 09:13:05 pm »
Apologies Fuzzy but, I think you'll find, the correct and much more concise (and condensed) response is: "Twat!"*

*Based on the overtaking bullying cyclists speed v the innocent recipient's own speed.

Variables of response should be considered of course, depending each rider's relevant speed at the time of contact.

I dunno, I'm with SJS on this one. In my experience, "Wanker!" is a lot easier for motorised morons to lip-read in the rear view mirror from their largely soundproof SEP fields, and - where necessary - can be reinforced with an unambiguous gesture-based translation.

« Reply #754 on: 30 April, 2014, 08:30:15 am »
 ;D nearly spits coffee on keyboard - but very true. 

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #755 on: 04 May, 2014, 03:41:05 pm »
"Mate, you got a light?" - indicating the cigarette in his hand.

I wonder if he had been shouting this at anything that moved, motorists... stray dogs... the wind in the trees - because shouting it at a passing cyclist seems exceptionally optimistic.  All I could really reply was, "No, sorry" and shrug my shoulders.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #756 on: 04 May, 2014, 07:21:06 pm »
Barakta and I just got a "Cyclewankers!".  Haven't had one of those for ages.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #757 on: 04 May, 2014, 07:33:36 pm »

Sorry, has to be asked.  Were you, then?  :demon:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #758 on: 04 May, 2014, 07:52:49 pm »

Sorry, has to be asked.  Were you, then?  :demon:

We were riding them good and proper...

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #759 on: 04 May, 2014, 08:24:16 pm »
 :facepalm:
Oh for heaven's sake.  I'm trying to be rude here.
 ;)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #760 on: 09 May, 2014, 11:43:32 pm »
If a young oik, on a school mini bus, sitting in the front seat shouts abuse at you twice, at different times and places.  The second time there is a policeman nearby so they pull the minibus over and suddenly the boy in question is very quiet.  When asked by the policeman the whole mini bus was silent and alledegdly the boy didn't say anything.

So I have found out what school they are part of.  Would you write to the school and express your displeasure at the pupils behaviour and that the minibus driver did not have control of the pupils.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #761 on: 10 May, 2014, 12:02:38 am »
If a young oik, on a school mini bus, sitting in the front seat shouts abuse at you twice, at different times and places.  The second time there is a policeman nearby so they pull the minibus over and suddenly the boy in question is very quiet.  When asked by the policeman the whole mini bus was silent and alledegdly the boy didn't say anything.

So I have found out what school they are part of.  Would you write to the school and express your displeasure at the pupils behaviour and that the minibus driver did not have control of the pupils.

Absolutely.

« Reply #762 on: 10 May, 2014, 06:12:22 am »
For sure, and the school should welcome the feedback which gives them an opportunity to remediate the behaviour of the children given the school a bad name. BUT it isn't the driver's fault, his job is to drive. If they need to , they need another adult on the bus, or they stop the children using that facility.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #763 on: 11 May, 2014, 09:46:53 pm »
He let the teacher down, he let himself down, and he let the whole school down.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #764 on: 11 May, 2014, 09:50:27 pm »
You think you have it bad being shouted at because you ride a bike?

Try riding a bright pink tricycle.

ian

« Reply #765 on: 19 May, 2014, 08:53:07 pm »
Pulling steadily into the middle of the road, arm indicating right. Cars hooning up behind me, starts to the usual overtake on outside, except he screams to a halt blocking the wrong side of the road out of the side window his splenetic puce pumpkin of a face shouts "YOU'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!!!!!"

To which I looked round and "yes, I am."

You have to wonder. Anyway, he was a company car and I phoned his boss this morning to congratulate them on their refreshing approach to cultivating a public image.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #766 on: 19 May, 2014, 08:55:51 pm »
Hahaha to phoning his boss!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #767 on: 27 May, 2014, 09:44:23 am »
...I phoned his boss this morning to congratulate them on their refreshing approach to cultivating a public image.
What was the reaction of the person you phoned?

ian

« Reply #768 on: 27 May, 2014, 03:45:31 pm »
...I phoned his boss this morning to congratulate them on their refreshing approach to cultivating a public image.
What was the reaction of the person you phoned?

I got through to the MD. We had a good chat and he readily agreed that such behaviour was completely unacceptable. He sounded a lot more annoyed by it than I was. Anyway, I got the impression that some motorised loudmouth was about to have a very bad Monday.

I always make the point of contacting companies when vehicles are readily indentifiable. To be honest, if you're driving a visibly branded vehicle and you make a habit of shouting abuse and assaulting people, then you're not too bright. I had an incident with an agressive horn-tooting van driver a while back, the usual. Anyway, I had a reasonable word and got abuse back. I told him I'd give his employers a call. He claimed I'd never find out who he worked for. He was sitting in a van emblazoned with the name of both the company and the London Borough they were working for. The lady I got through to had to admit that perhaps he wasn't their brightest employee.

« Reply #769 on: 28 May, 2014, 06:09:56 pm »
- Oi mate, yer back tyre's flat.

- Sure it is, like your head.

Sometimes it's just too easy.

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #770 on: 28 May, 2014, 06:45:56 pm »
I've just used Google Translate.
Apparently, HOOT HOOT!  means "I say, you're riding a bicycle"

« Reply #771 on: 28 May, 2014, 08:17:36 pm »
I don't think there's a thread for pleasant things yelled at you while cycling, but I had a "Bon courage" on Monday.

I was near Richmond, but I was wearing my PBP top and the car had French plates, which might account for it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #772 on: 05 June, 2014, 08:32:23 am »
Riding through Hurstpierpoint, the East Sussex CTC were addressed by a chavvy looking (but pretty posh) lad with the words:

'Shut up, you old fucks!'

OK, we were chatting, and Butterfly was by far the youngest in the group, but it was a tad unwarranted.
Getting there...

« Reply #773 on: 05 June, 2014, 08:55:11 am »
Doing a postbox run last week I got heckled.

The postbox is right next to a beer garden, it was almost kicking out time. A yoof shouts "you look a twat dressed like that" so the classic got sent back "I can change my clothes when I get back home and not look like a twat, but you..." I didn't have to finish it, his drunken mates helped me out.

Every time I use that postbox there's some smart arse comment, pissheads. I'm amazed how many people get drunk on a work night. People still shout "go Lance" from the pub, don't know if they're out of date or insulting me. I've also got "thinks he's Cav", yep, with a loaded rack, lights. I've often seen Cav stop with 50m to go to post a few letters. Even if it's raining there's always someone shouting something, I think they must use the beer garden for smoking in too, muppets!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #774 on: 05 June, 2014, 09:25:29 am »
I shouted something at a cyclist the other day. 'Twas on the Stratford bike lane, I always take care passing other cyclists; holding back till it is safe and nonthreatening (not universal behaviour, but you could have guessed that). Up ahead there was a bike riding slowly and a bit erratically. As I eventually pass I see she is trying to hold a handsfree conversation on her phone. Unfortunately part of this handsfree involved one hand free of the bars, and she wasn't making a good fist of it. "One thing or the  other, one thing or the other" was the best I could come up with at short notice.