Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 399351 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2150 on: 05 August, 2016, 04:40:21 pm »
The above only applies to something you want to keep, IME . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2151 on: 05 August, 2016, 05:46:44 pm »
I can get three free Council collections of up to five items every financial year, which is pretty good. The seven week wait is what galls and might encourage the time and space poor to dump stuffs.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2152 on: 06 August, 2016, 12:18:31 pm »
BN: Not only is my front wheel buckled beyond rim-transplantability, the forks are knocked sideways too.
GN: Argos finally answered the phone, they can straighten them and it costs quite a bit less than a new set. And they'll still be the right colour!
BN: Weirdly, saddle is bent out of shape. (It felt like my hip took all that force!)
GN: It looks as if saddle rails are not bent, just the top of the saddle has somehow been knocked upwards off the rails, so possibly it's bang-back-into-shape-able (oh yeah?).
BN: Now I have to take the bike to pieces.
GN: Finger's healing well.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2153 on: 06 August, 2016, 12:24:29 pm »
I think that the WEEE directive means that any supplier of electrical goods must also take back similar items for recycling and disposal. While it wouldn't surprise me if they can get away with only doing that instore, it's probably worth asking Currys if their delivery service will take the old one away.

ETA - Hmm. Reckon a microwave counts as a large kitchen appliance?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/recycle-1042-theme.html
I have replaced a few broken washing machines & fridges in the last 20 years. All were taken away by the deliverers of the new ones. They charged, but not much.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2154 on: 06 August, 2016, 12:37:24 pm »
I think that the WEEE directive means that any supplier of electrical goods must also take back similar items for recycling and disposal. While it wouldn't surprise me if they can get away with only doing that instore, it's probably worth asking Currys if their delivery service will take the old one away.

ETA - Hmm. Reckon a microwave counts as a large kitchen appliance?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/recycle-1042-theme.html
I have replaced a few broken washing machines & fridges in the last 20 years. All were taken away by the deliverers of the new ones. They charged, but not much.

I think Currys would take the old oven but £15 for a £34.99 oven makes it a £50 oven...

« Reply #2155 on: 07 August, 2016, 11:26:44 pm »
Yes. It seems excessive. IIRC it's more than we were charged last year for taking away our old washing machine by the deliverers of the new one.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2156 on: 14 August, 2016, 08:22:19 pm »
GN: My friends from chuch have just got home after what sounds like a very enjoyable charity Coast to Coast ride.

BN: One of them had their bike nicked at the pub in Newcastle after they'd finished >:(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2157 on: 14 August, 2016, 08:29:01 pm »
Thieving little numpties ... :( Else good riding :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2158 on: 14 August, 2016, 08:36:04 pm »
Well at least they'd finished the ride.  :-\

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2159 on: 14 August, 2016, 08:38:21 pm »
Yeah there is that. Apparently the cable lock was cut and bike nicked while people were sat at the outside tables near them. One of the people sat outside was astounded (and apologetic) that he hadn't noticed a thing so it sounds like the thief had some experience.

This is the Quayside, a pub I've used for YACF night rides in the past which makes me a little nervous about doing so again.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2160 on: 15 August, 2016, 03:00:39 pm »
GN: Partner ordered Stuffs from Thomann in Deutschland wot were cheaper than UK purchase, despite Brexit, last Thursday night.
GN: Tracking last night stated consignment was in England.
GN: Packages were delivered at 9.00am today.
BN: This awoke the sleeping partner.
BN: Partner received an email timestamped 12.40 stating parcels were out for delivery... ???

« Reply #2161 on: 17 August, 2016, 02:58:58 pm »
GN I have been to mainland europe for some hols already this year.
BN B de Change are currently offering 99 cents for £1. That is an eye watering difference from June. Oh and it means I am much poorer in relative terms.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2162 on: 17 August, 2016, 03:29:05 pm »
GN I'm off on holibobs next week to the Lakes
BN It isn't a walking holiday, it's a family trip
BN Half of the family aren't coming anyway, so 5+ baby are going to be rattling around a house for 12
GN It's a damn holiday anyway
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2163 on: 14 September, 2016, 09:43:03 pm »
GN: New  varifocal glasses arrived today, the old ones not having survived being slept on in a hammock.
BN: How much!? That's the price of half a decent bike.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2164 on: 30 September, 2016, 10:30:32 am »
I am expecting a parcel.  From MSI.  In the Nether Lands.  "Ding and, moreover, dong" sa the doorbell and in due course a man from Yodel hand over a package with arcane markings on it indicating it had indeed come from the land of windmills, clogs and tulips.

My suspicions are aroused when, on removing the outer packaging, that which remains is enclosed in a piece of cardboard which, in a previous life, served to contain bags of Haribo Gummi BEARs.  This, I feel, is not the kind of packaging that would be used by a Mega-Global electronics corporation.  Also, their parcel was being delivered by UPS.

Bah: It is not the parcel I was expecting :(
Hurrah: It is instead from my grate frend Jan-Marcel van Dijken and contains a Team Cygnus T-shaped shirt and, and this is the good bit, two packets of Stroopwafels which only have a slender chance of surviving until lunchtime.

Now, UPS, where TF are you?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2165 on: 30 September, 2016, 02:10:39 pm »
"Ding and, moreover, dong" sa the doorbell

I wonder if I could persuade Norman Lovett to record that?  Might be a worthy successor to the now legendary Rod Hull...

Now, UPS, where TF are you?

Busy searching parcels for stroopwafels.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2166 on: 30 September, 2016, 03:03:49 pm »
It has arrived.  See the "Bought any computer stuff today" thread for further details.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2167 on: 05 October, 2016, 11:20:13 am »
Hurrah: Professor Larrington has agreed to take 2D Thomas to Captain Cook's Mistake :thumbsup:
Bah: I think the battery on my Kindle may have died. Fully charged last night, unable to turn itself on this morning >:(

It's not so much the expense of replacing the Kindle that's the problem, it's all the sorting of books into collections.  This will make me grumpy.

« Reply #2168 on: 05 October, 2016, 07:31:08 pm »
Bad news: Little Sister was riding to work this morning & turning right at lights. A van coming the other direction decided to turn left without indicating  >:( .  She hit the brakes too hard & came off her bike.

Good news: Only minor cuts & bruises and the bikes OK, she was able to ride home at the end of the day.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2169 on: 05 October, 2016, 09:57:45 pm »
Hurrah: I finally shook off the clod I've been nurturing since Idaho Falls, just in time for...

Bah: ...Professor Larrington to pass me a home-grown one.

Drat and, moreover, fiddlesticks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2170 on: 06 October, 2016, 09:42:51 am »
Bad news: Little Sister was riding to work this morning & turning right at lights. A van coming the other direction decided to turn left without indicating  >:( .  She hit the brakes too hard & came off her bike.

Good news: Only minor cuts & bruises and the bikes OK, she was able to ride home at the end of the day.
Good news that you've got the cycle-commuting firmly implanted in her.  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2171 on: 06 October, 2016, 06:37:39 pm »
Hurrah: My Kindle's battery issue appears to have been a glitch in The Matrix :thumbsup:
Bah: It then decided that wifi was something for Other People Devices, requiring a factory reset to get it to start speaking over Stan's Radio.  Which means reloading all the content.  Into collections.  The list of which takes up five pages on its own >:(

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2172 on: 06 October, 2016, 07:17:15 pm »
Hurrah: Professor Larrington has agreed to take 2D Thomas to Captain Cook's Mistake :thumbsup:
Bah: I think the battery on my Kindle may have died. Fully charged last night, unable to turn itself on this morning >:(

It's not so much the expense of replacing the Kindle that's the problem, it's all the sorting of books into collections.  This will make me grumpy.

Dr Larrington has a chair?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2173 on: 07 October, 2016, 12:30:22 pm »

Dr Larrington has a chair?

She got promoted a couple of months ago; a minion of The Man rang her up and said "Congratulations, ur now teh Professor ov $SUBJECT1".

"O goody!  Is there more money?"

"No"

The visiting wossname she's just starting at the University of Western Australia was arranged a couple of years ago and appears to consist of two parts teaching to one part gadding about the Counterweight Continent plugging her "Game Of Thrones" book :demon:  And we may yet see 2D Thomas at a Test Match, though sadly not one involving the BRITONS' England, if he hasn't been confiscated by Customs or mistaken for lunch by the local fauna.

1: Variation on a theme of Medieval English

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2174 on: 07 October, 2016, 05:25:59 pm »
Who or what is 2D Thomas?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.