Author Topic: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?  (Read 202219 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?
« Reply #1175 on: 29 January, 2021, 05:16:33 pm »
And also a rather successful Apfelstreusel. This recipe is in German I'm afraid but if anyone really likes the look of it, but can't understand it, I'll translate it.

Low Carb Apfelstreusel

Zutaten für eine Spring- bzw. Backform mit 21 cm Durchmesser und 6,5 cm Höhe:

Zutaten für den Teig:
100 g fein gemahlene Mandeln
100 g Quark (Speisetopfen)
100 g butter – geschmolzen
75 g (4 volle EL) Dinkelvollkorn- oder Roggenvollkornmehl
2 große Äpfel – geschält, entkernt und in kleine Stücke geschnitten 4 große Eier
4 volle Esslöffel Erythrit
2 Teelöffel Zimt (gemahlen) 1 Esslöffel Backpulver

Zutaten für Streusel:
20 g Butter (Zimmertemperatur)
40 g (2 volle EL) Dinkelvollkorn- oder Roggenvollkornmehl 1 voller Esslöffel Xylit (Süßstoff) oder Zucker

Anleitung:
Zubereitung Teig:
1. Backrohr auf 180 Grad Celsius vorheizen.
2. Die Äpfel schälen, entkernen und kleine Stücke (Würfel) schneiden.
3. Butter in einem Topf (bei geringer Temperatur) schmelzen und mit dem Quark (Speisetopfen), Erythrit und den Eiern (mit Hilfe eines Schneebesens) gut verrühren.
4. Gemahlene Mandeln, Vollkornmehl, Backpulver und Zimt dazugeben und erneut kräftig unterrühren bis eine cremige Masse entsteht.
5. Nun die Apfelstücke dazugeben und die Masse noch einmal gut vermengen.

Zubereitung Streusel:
1. Butter, Vollkornmehl und Erythrit in eine Schüssel geben und mit gereinigten Händen gut vermengen bis Streusel entstehen. Bei Bedarf die Mehlmenge anpassen.

Zum Schluss:
1. Die Masse mit den Äpfeln in eine Spring- bzw. Backform füllen, gleichmäßig mit den Streuseln bestreuen und danach bei 180 Grad Celsius zirka 40 Minuten im Backrohr (mittlere Schiene) backen.
2. Den schnellen und einfachen Apfelkuchen mit Streusel bei Raumtemperatur etwa 1 bis 2 Stunden ruhen lassen. Tipp: Ich stelle ihn danach immer in den Kühlschrank und beginne mit dem Verzehr am nächsten Tag. Lecker!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #1176 on: 29 January, 2021, 05:46:01 pm »
I had to look up Erythrit.  By the Google page hits I assume it's the sweetener Erythritol.  You may need to proof-read the original before translation - the "Zutaten für Streusel" include "1 voller Esslöffel Xylit (Süßstoff) oder Zucker" but the "Zubereitung Streusel" says "...und Erythrit in eine Schüssel geben...".  That looks like a mistake.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1177 on: 29 January, 2021, 07:47:37 pm »
I had to look up Erythrit.  By the Google page hits I assume it's the sweetener Erythritol.  You may need to proof-read the original before translation - the "Zutaten für Streusel" include "1 voller Esslöffel Xylit (Süßstoff) oder Zucker" but the "Zubereitung Streusel" says "...und Erythrit in eine Schüssel geben...".  That looks like a mistake.
I changed the text from Xylitol to Erythrit myself as Xylitol is dangerous to dogs. I missed one in the text. Yes, erythrit is erythritol.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1178 on: 30 January, 2021, 07:10:23 am »
Yes, translate please, I can get a rough gist of it, but my German is pretty rusty
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1179 on: 30 January, 2021, 04:49:32 pm »
Yes, translate please, I can get a rough gist of it, but my German is pretty rusty
Low Carb Apple Streusel

Ingredients for a 21 cm round Springform or baking tray, 6.5 cm high

Ingredients for the cake base:
100 g finely ground almonds
100 g Quark
100 g butter – melted
75 g (4 full dessert spoons) Wholemeal spelt or wholemeal rye flour
2 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
4 large eggs
4 dessert spoons of Erythritol or other powdered sweetener
2 teaspoons cinnamon (ground)
1 dessert spoon baking powder

Ingredients for Streusel:
20 g Butter (room temperature)
40 g (2 full dessert spoons) Wholemeal spelt or wholemeal rye flour
1 full dessert spoon of Erythritol or other powdered sweetener

Instructions:
Preparation of the cake mix:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Peel and core the apples and cut into small pieces
3. Melt butter in a bowl at low temperature and mix well with the Quark, sweetener and the eggs, using a whisk.
4. Add the ground almonds, wholemeal flower, baking powder and cinnamon and mix well until a creamy mass.
5. Add the apple pieces and mix everything well again.

Preparation of the Streusel:
1. Add Butter, wholemeal flour and Erythrit together in a bowl and with clean hands mix them well until they have made Streusel texture (like large breadcrumbs really!). If you need to add more almond flour you can do so.

To finish:
1. Add the mix with the apples into the baking tray, add the Streusel evenly over the top and then bake at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes in the oven on the middle shelf.
2. Let it cool at room temperature for 1-2 hours. Tip: I keep it in the fridge after that and start eating it the next day.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1180 on: 30 January, 2021, 06:36:19 pm »
Be warned that Canderel (aspartame) is not heat stable and will be tasteless after baking.

Low-calorie hot chocolate suffers the same fate if kept in a Thermos for winter excursions.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1181 on: 30 January, 2021, 08:14:19 pm »
Also Canderel is not Keto - erythritol, stevia and xylitol (if you have no dogs) are the recommended sweeteners. They don’t spike your insulin levels.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1182 on: 30 January, 2021, 10:37:20 pm »
Aspartame is just a couple of amino acids. Can't see why it is worse for ketosis than tiny amounts of protein...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1183 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:20:37 am »
Keto people say the sugar alcohols are better than other artificial sweeteners because of the insulin response. I’m not sure where aspartame is on that but it’s not generally listed as one to choose. Keto websites usually suggest:

Stevia
Erythritol
Monk fruit
Xylitol

Chris S

« Reply #1184 on: 31 January, 2021, 10:46:54 am »
Some folks find the sugar alcohols lead to gastric distress. Stevia has never bothered me, but they all have a nasty chemical after-taste; I can put up with it, fboab less so but that might just be because she likes the Real Thing more.

« Reply #1185 on: 31 January, 2021, 10:55:10 am »
I'd rather do without than eat the fake shit. I'm really sensitive (taste wise, I've no idea what it does chemically) to any of the artificial sweeteners, though as Mr Smith says, it's probably because I'm such a fan of the real thing.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1186 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:02:29 am »
I find too much erythritol makes me a bit gassy but stevia liquid is no problem at all.

I don’t use much of this stuff anyway, normally just in cakes. And I hardly eat any of those  :-X

ElyDave

« Reply #1187 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:02:48 am »
Also Canderel is not Keto - erythritol, stevia and xylitol (if you have no dogs) are the recommended sweeteners. They don’t spike your insulin levels.

I find that they do affect blood sugar, quite strongly in the case of xylitol as I found out after accidentally purchasing a tube of sugar free mints for POP on an audax. I'm fairly sure they were xylitol.  I was quite surprised.

I'd probably just make the streusel with sugar, but use less of it, and go for a ride.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1188 on: 31 January, 2021, 01:53:53 pm »

I find that they do affect blood sugar, quite strongly in the case of xylitol as I found out after accidentally purchasing a tube of sugar free mints for POP on an audax. I'm fairly sure they were xylitol.  I was quite surprised.

I'd probably just make the streusel with sugar, but use less of it, and go for a ride.

Xylitol is a carbohydrate of sorts...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1189 on: 31 January, 2021, 02:32:46 pm »
Sugar alcohols are nearly 100% carb but they are not absorbed somehow so function as 0 carbs.

Davef

« Reply #1190 on: 31 January, 2021, 04:28:07 pm »
Sugar alcohols are nearly 100% carb but they are not absorbed somehow so function as 0 carbs.
? I might have misunderstood but alcohol (ethanol) is not a carbohydrate but it is metabolised by the body and has a calorific value.

ElyDave

« Reply #1191 on: 31 January, 2021, 04:35:50 pm »

I can give you blood sugar readings that would disagree

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1192 on: 31 January, 2021, 04:58:47 pm »
I thought that the mere taste of sugar was enough for the body to increase blood sugar levels, before there was time to absorb the ingested sugar. There was some discussion of this topic after Froome’s 2013 TdF penalty for grabbing some gels right near a mountaintop finish.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1193 on: 31 January, 2021, 05:12:59 pm »
I am no scientist but there are lots of websites with information about it. Here is one example: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sugar-alcohol-keto#types

It’s not possible for me to know my own insulin levels so I can’t say if what these websites say is the case is actually true, but enough of them say it so I work with that hypothesis.

Davef

« Reply #1194 on: 31 January, 2021, 05:20:56 pm »
Sorry I had never heard the term sugar alcohol and completely misunderstood.

Having read Wikipedia I am now an expert. It says

“Sugar alcohols do not contribute to tooth decay; on the contrary, xylitol is a deterrent to tooth decay. [2][3]

Sugar alcohols are absorbed at 50% of the rate of sugars, resulting in less of an effect on blood sugar levels as measured by comparing their effect to sucrose using the glycemic index.[4][5] The unabsorbed sugar alcohols may cause bloating and diarrhea due to their osmotic effect, if consumed in sufficient amounts.[6]”

« Reply #1195 on: 31 January, 2021, 05:21:33 pm »
A useful recipe we use to largely replace breakfast, (which is pretty much lunch these days as on the low carb gig we are simply not hungry in the morning) is a big breakfast pie. I usually knock one up at the beginning of the week and it does for several days. Its basically crustless quiche type concoction.
a dozen eggs
plenty of Butter
loads of grated farmhouse cheddar.
Big dollop of ricotta cheese
Herbs.
sauted onion/pepper/ham/etc.
You can also add buttered spinach, grated courgette etc.
chuck some slices of tomato on top and a sprinkling of parmesan
Grated cauliflower gives it a nice body/texture too.

Start cooking like a super massive omelette in a deep saute pan.
Slam in the oven for 25 mins.
Great hot or cold. Lasts a week.

pic of a slice here.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDlxr3qFHel/
often lost.

« Reply #1196 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:43:54 pm »
Aka tortilla.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1197 on: 31 January, 2021, 10:09:56 pm »
Or frittata

« Reply #1198 on: 01 February, 2021, 09:45:27 am »
Mr Smith is allergic to eggs which makes living low carb much more difficult. It was less bad when I was out at work as I could make me an eggtastic lunch and he would fend for himself. It seems rude somehow to be sat in front of him  enjoying an omelette he can't have..

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1199 on: 01 February, 2021, 09:47:56 am »
Following a carb heavy festive period, Mr R and I are switching back to a low carb/keto-ish diet, which I'm going to combine with a bit of intermittent fasting.

We're also going to keep a much closer eye on out alcohol intakes...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor