Author Topic: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?  (Read 198167 times)

Re: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?
« Reply #1150 on: 10 March, 2020, 01:05:07 am »

I have not 'shit' over anything as you put it. Upon Perusing this Thread I saw that people were Increasing their CHO intake Beyond what is acceptable for Keto and made a comment. If you Cannot take that - than tough.

And I did rebut your post. Me having the odd bit of Vegan junk food is not the same as yourself upping your CHO intake beyond what is acceptable if you are on the Keto lifestyle. If I cheated by consuming some animal products then by all means you can say it is the same thing.

What on earth are you on about? Having an icecream or a piece of bread is not increasing the cholesterol beyond what's acceptable.  Cholesterol levels only factor in if you fail to eat a balanced diet and have nothing to do with 'cheat' days.

simonp

« Reply #1151 on: 10 March, 2020, 09:29:47 am »
CHO is carbohydrate.

ian

« Reply #1152 on: 10 March, 2020, 09:46:43 am »
I think the issue with diets is that they are diets and, as such, follow a schema of proscriptions, and we introduce the concept of 'cheating' and then there are cycles of guilt and recrimination for breaking those proscriptions. It's a fundamentally toxic approach to eating and weirds our relationship with food. Most diets ultimately fail.
What about cutting out nuts?

I don't think avoiding a product that you're allergic to is a diet. It becomes odd, of course, when you start proscribing things for peculiar reasons.

LMT

« Reply #1153 on: 10 March, 2020, 10:55:53 am »

I have not 'shit' over anything as you put it. Upon Perusing this Thread I saw that people were Increasing their CHO intake Beyond what is acceptable for Keto and made a comment. If you Cannot take that - than tough.

And I did rebut your post. Me having the odd bit of Vegan junk food is not the same as yourself upping your CHO intake beyond what is acceptable if you are on the Keto lifestyle. If I cheated by consuming some animal products then by all means you can say it is the same thing.

What on earth are you on about? Having an icecream or a piece of bread is not increasing the cholesterol beyond what's acceptable.  Cholesterol levels only factor in if you fail to eat a balanced diet and have nothing to do with 'cheat' days.

I refer the above to the Guardian link on brain fog and keto. ;D

« Reply #1154 on: 10 March, 2020, 07:45:25 pm »
Apologies. I've seen it used for cholesterol..but again...there's no fundamentalism involved, so occasionally going over your carb budget is still not going to break your diet. You've now heard it from several people who are actually successfully doing it and would you please stop telling us how to live our lifes?.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1155 on: 10 March, 2020, 08:21:08 pm »
I think the issue with diets is that they are diets and, as such, follow a schema of proscriptions, and we introduce the concept of 'cheating' and then there are cycles of guilt and recrimination for breaking those proscriptions. It's a fundamentally toxic approach to eating and weirds our relationship with food. Most diets ultimately fail.
What about cutting out nuts?

I don't think avoiding a product that you're allergic to is a diet. It becomes odd, of course, when you start proscribing things for peculiar reasons.
Maybe that's just how you view it? There seem to be people here proscribing things because they will be healthier and happier.

Nuts is a bit extreme, cos (despite being  totally yummy, and VERY nutritious) they can kill people! They were the first thing I thought of. But there are intolerances, where people KNOW certain foods are bad for them, but occasionally succumb to a treat portion ... which is very similar to what you are criticising. I think.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1156 on: 29 July, 2020, 03:51:17 pm »
Well, losing weight somo in itself is very difficult. the main thing is to maintain a calorie deficit. but I think whatever diet is, it just needs to be healthy. it is most important
All of the red lights on the wall behind me have started flashing.
And a number of buzzers have gone off.
I could be wrong.
Jus' sayin'.

All I hear is this.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1157 on: 30 July, 2020, 10:14:32 am »
Well, losing weight somo in itself is very difficult. the main thing is to maintain a calorie deficit. but I think whatever diet is, it just needs to be healthy. it is most important
I could be wrong.
Jus' sayin'.

All I hear is this.

Seems to be happening a lot lately. Have you recalibrated your bullshit sensors or something?  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1158 on: 30 July, 2020, 10:58:50 am »
I could be wrong.
Jus' sayin'.

All I hear is this.

Seems to be happening a lot lately. Have you recalibrated your bullshit sensors or something?  ;D

I was on a roll....

« Reply #1159 on: 30 July, 2020, 05:05:29 pm »
Plus one here for a positive keto/low carb experience.

After several years of forgoing wheat through necessity and replacing it with other carbs (spuds, pulse, rice etc) I have recently ( for a few weeks)  taken up a low carbohydrate diet and had very good initial results.
They are weight loss, better sleep, no hunger spikes/hangry episodes, better mood, no crashing exhaustion. An almost total disappearance of arthritic type pain in various abused joints.
I'm really thrilled with the results thus far and although it seems counter intuitive to all my past learnings on nutrition, I really am now convinced there is something in this.
I will, however, keep a healthy dose of cycnisim going forward, but right now the brilliant results are like some kind of voodoo.
I suspect that diets are not a one size fits all, but I think its very likely that I'm one of the many people out there who do not do well on a shit tonne of carbs. That does make a little bit of me sad!
I haven't reduced my very liberal wine consumption either. That makes me very happy.
often lost.

Keto Diet
« Reply #1160 on: 06 October, 2020, 11:20:07 pm »
Due to many reasons I've been off the bike this year. Since getting into cycling my weight bounces between 12 and 15 stone so now I'm at my upper weight. I've been reading about riders not fueling with carbs instead cutting carbs right down in their diet so they are in effect fueling on body fat.

Does this really work? If so how long does it take for the body to adapt?

The Movers

• We just work here
« Reply #1161 on: 07 October, 2020, 01:36:00 am »
Threads merged.
Did you search?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Keto Diet
« Reply #1162 on: 07 October, 2020, 12:09:09 pm »
Due to many reasons I've been off the bike this year. Since getting into cycling my weight bounces between 12 and 15 stone so now I'm at my upper weight. I've been reading about riders not fueling with carbs instead cutting carbs right down in their diet so they are in effect fueling on body fat.

Yes it can work, I'm low carb through T1 Diabetes management. If you look at any "exercise fuelling recommendations" mostly by those that produce gels, carb drinks, bars etc and many sports nutritionists, you need carbs for exercise.   I'm generally on about 20-30g carbs per hour with monitoring of blood glucose as I go, that's typically one gel, one NAKD or 9-bar, a piece of fruit etc look on the back of a gel packet - 2-3 per hour recommended. I have one reference that suggests for a person of my weight at 18mph I need 130g/hr, at 14mph 85g/hr.  I reduce my insulin and reduce my carb intake, and tend to average 16-17mph on an audax depending on the course

Try starting your adaptation with morning or weekend rides fasted and see how you get on.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1163 on: 08 October, 2020, 08:41:02 am »
It's different, but for (kendo) tournaments, I will usually bring gummybears and have a few before/after each match. I tried once without and was seriously flagging at the end of the day.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1164 on: 08 October, 2020, 08:54:39 am »
I make no adjustments for weights/yoga or for seriously nasty intervals on the bike or running - these kind of anaerobic exercises increase the stress hormones which cause the liver to dump stored glycogens. Same goes for a TT on the bike.  I'd expect the kendo tournaments fall into this category as well with a stress response, as well as the sugar burning for that explosive activity.

If anything I need to give myself an extra squirt of insulin afterwards to counter that effect, but not too much or it can end up crashing later.

It's a fine line between aerobic fat burning an anaerobic sugar burning, it takes a while to understand the balance at an individual level.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1165 on: 08 October, 2020, 05:32:28 pm »
I am somewhat detrained at the moment but for the last few years i could ride for 3-4 hours without eating anything at a steady 25-27km/h.  I would arrive home and have a normal meal but not feel any need to take in extra food.  i would not even bother to take any food with me for anything under 100km.

However it has to be said that this was steady state, I did not race up the hills and I kept my HR firmly in the zone 2 / bottom zone 3 area.

if you want to sprint for the KOM then keto is not going to help.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Keto Diet
« Reply #1166 on: 08 October, 2020, 09:50:04 pm »

Yes.  Between 4-8 weeks depending on the individual and exactly what they're eating.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #1167 on: 12 October, 2020, 03:22:33 am »
Grabbed a new set of meal plans from Dietdoctor and are rebooting my diet again.
Tonights dinner was salmon and asparagus fried in butter. Yum.

« Reply #1168 on: 13 October, 2020, 01:23:59 am »
Woah. Had happily forgotten about the initial low energy levels. Went on a fairly easy hike and bonked halfway through. Had to slow the pace way down.

« Reply #1169 on: 14 October, 2020, 05:10:11 am »
This was really good. More  a  low carb dish (10g per serving than) keto.

Low-carb seafood chowder with curry

Ingredients
30 g butter
175 g thinly sliced leeks
200 g red bell peppers, cut into bite sized pieces
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
350 ml coconut milk
225 ml heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp curry powder
600 g salmon, boneless fillets, cut into 1 inch cubes
175 g peeled and cooked shrimp
20 g fresh dill
salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions
Melt butter in a large pot. Fry leek, bell pepper, garlic, and chili over medium heat for about 7 minutes.
Add coconut milk, heavy whipping cream, and curry. Cook for a couple of minutes stirring occasionally.
Add salmon and season with salt and ground black pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the salmon is just cooked.
Add shrimps right before serving and garnish with dill.

Next time I'll add some spinach and reduce leek/pepper.

« Reply #1170 on: 01 January, 2021, 06:33:22 pm »
I personally love the keto diet and thanks for the recipe. It can be hard to get into but my energy is up on it and thoughts are far clearer. The issues are the adaption phase and cycling, I just could not ride as far or as fast. But over time it returned, on the good side the snacks are much much lighter.

« Reply #1171 on: 29 January, 2021, 07:37:16 am »
Been going back to 'full' keto this week and just got through the transition period which kinda sucked this time.
But...energy levels are returning, appetite decreasing and weight is creeping off again.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1172 on: 29 January, 2021, 10:06:48 am »
I made myself slightly stricter Keto at the end of October as I had lapsed rather into excessive peanut consumption.

I have lost just under 10kg in that time and am the lightest weight I have been since 2003.

I have been able to relax my carb intake to up to 90g per day without feeling hungry again so I am really lucky! Loving the keto food still and I’m getting better at keto cakes. I have a good blueberry Soufflee which works within my macros.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1173 on: 29 January, 2021, 10:13:12 am »
I have a good blueberry Soufflee which works within my macros.
Please share :D

Here's my latest discovery:
https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/keto-low-carb-paleo-blueberry-muffins-recipe-almond-flour/

I use grassfed butter instead of coconut oil and a little full fat cream instead of almond milk.
They're absolutely awesome.

10kg is awesome. I was maintaining weight at ~70-80g a day, but migraines, etc returned.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1174 on: 29 January, 2021, 05:08:11 pm »
Here's my Low Carb soufflé mix:

Low Carb Souffleé
Ingredients for 3 servings:

1 egg

Half a pack of pudding mix (19 g)

125 ml full cream milk

250 g Greek yoghurt, 10% fat

50 g blueberries

Stevia liquid or other sweetener to taste

Instructions:

1.   Beat the yoghurt, eggs, pudding mix and milk with a hand mixer until it has a uniform consistency.

2.   Mix in the blueberries with a spoon

3.   Sweeten to taste and pour the mixture into a soufflé dish

4.   Place the dish in the oven at 160 degrees C for approximately 60 minutes

5.   Serve the souffle warm or cooled.

Pudding mix is a thing we have in Germany that comes in sachets.I had a look at the sachet and it seems to be mostly Maisstärke (corn starch) but with a bit of colouring and aroma. So I think simple corn starch/maize starch would work. This stuff is a bit more carbohydratey but the whole thing (of which we normally eat a third, sometimes a half if we are very greedy!) is 576 calories with 37.6 grams carbs. 21.4g protein and 36.4 g fat.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk