Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 374784 times)

Guy

• Retired
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #2100 on: 23 January, 2020, 10:42:35 am »
Essex crow terrorises cars by destroying windscreen wipers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-51178250
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2101 on: 23 January, 2020, 01:16:10 pm »
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2102 on: 24 January, 2020, 12:05:29 pm »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/residents-in-north-east-england-shaken-by-early-morning-earthquake/ar-BBZfexz?ocid=spartanntp

Small earthquake hits Stockton.

Some slight property improvements.
oooh, me trinklements. The council should do something.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2104 on: 24 January, 2020, 06:29:08 pm »
Nobody wants to go to Grimsby1.  Even people who live there don't want to go back.

1. Except for TV's Guy Martin, who is Not Right in the Head.

Not Grimsby, Keelby, very much NOT Grimsby.  I lived in a village just up the road for four years. It was definitely North East Lincolnshire. 

Best thing about Cleethorpes was the £1 railway ticket from Grimsby, a couple of pints in the 'spoons, hop on the train and a pint or two of John Smiths Magnet at Cleethorpes station before heading for Steele's fish and chips.

Do not go to the Pier nightclub unless you want to relive that PSO feet sticking to the carpet experience (that was almost 20 years ago thobut)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2105 on: 24 January, 2020, 07:28:19 pm »
A significant minority of yacf members had that PSO sticking to the carpet experience within the past few months...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2106 on: 25 January, 2020, 12:33:29 pm »
Nobody wants to go to Grimsby1.  Even people who live there don't want to go back.

Not Grimsby, Keelby, very much NOT Grimsby.  I lived in a village just up the road for four years. It was definitely North East Lincolnshire. 

Best thing about Cleethorpes was the £1 railway ticket from Grimsby, a couple of pints in the 'spoons, hop on the train and a pint or two of John Smiths Magnet at Cleethorpes station before heading for Steele's fish and chips.

Do not go to the Pier nightclub unless you want to relive that PSO feet sticking to the carpet experience (that was almost 20 years ago thobut)

Though I understand that TV's Mr Martin has his lorry-fettling gig in Grimsby.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2107 on: 27 January, 2020, 06:52:53 pm »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/smugglers-caught-red-handed-with-£60m-of-cocaine-crammed-into-yacht-off-welsh-coast/ar-BBZmYRW?ocid=spartanntp

Sailing to Haverfordwest... Well, the 'Western Cleddau' runs through the town, but there are a few weirs, and that looks like a yatchet which would have a rather deep keel...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2108 on: 02 February, 2020, 07:14:14 pm »

Oh noes  :o Those poor cars  :'(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2109 on: 02 February, 2020, 07:40:40 pm »

Oh noes  :o Those poor cars  :'(
I for one welcome our new sentient automobile overlords. (Oh no I don't!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2110 on: 03 February, 2020, 12:53:55 pm »

Grimsby has a very good (i.e. good facilities) yacht marina. I've spent a bit of time in there with a poorly boat. Decent boatyard next door.

Walking from there into town, you pass shattered buildings, remnants of the fishing industry. More shattered and shuttered buildings; and you realise you are actually on Grimsby's high st.

It is like a town bombed out, then abandoned to the rats and cockroaches.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2111 on: 03 February, 2020, 09:30:40 pm »
Those with long memories and too little to do may recall the "Monty Python Big Red Book" with an advertisement for Cleethorpes.

Holiday in Spain? Why not come to Cleethorpes? We've got everything the bloody Dagoes have got and you don't have to learn their stupid language.

Cleethorpes - a good place for liberal intellectuals.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2112 on: 04 February, 2020, 09:20:06 am »
Those with long memories and too little to do may recall the "Monty Python Big Red Book" with an advertisement for Cleethorpes.

Holiday in Spain? Why not come to Cleethorpes? We've got everything the bloody Dagoes have got and you don't have to learn their stupid language.

And imagine how hissy the self-righteous PC arseholes would get if someone came out with that now. "Yes we know it's satire but you can't..." etc.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2113 on: 04 February, 2020, 09:37:24 am »
...let it go by.
It is simpler than it looks.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2114 on: 04 February, 2020, 09:46:00 am »

And imagine how hissy the self-righteous PC arseholes would get if someone came out with that now. "Yes we know it's satire but you can't..." etc.
They'd melt - they'd melt!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #2115 on: 04 February, 2020, 08:43:33 pm »
Worth reading if nothing else for the bonkers story of a murderous French teacher who started shooting up Leicester after a boozy game of billiards turned sour.....
(OK, not in recent weeks, but I could see most of this happening down Churchgate one Friday night still)

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-square-renamed-after-medieval-3805778
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2116 on: 06 February, 2020, 02:44:01 pm »
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #2117 on: 07 February, 2020, 01:32:07 pm »
Sections of the Rochdale population don't like bikes or seek to avail themselves of bikes perhaps. My wife doesn't go there due to some of the villains who wander the streets.

Dear Cycle Hub Member

Unfortunately due to ongoing and persistent vandalism we have taken the decision to close the cycle hub in Rochdale located opposite the railway station. This facility will still provide covered stands for parking but will no longer be classed as a cycle hub.

We’re very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, and any members affected can contact us at: cycle.membership@tfgm.com

Kind regards

Cycle Membership Team
Transport for Greater Manchester

Whereas the more upmarket Altrincham has this

Dear Cycle Hub Member

On Tuesday 11th February, Altrincham Interchange Cycle Hub will closed from 5pm to allow a deep clean to take place safely inside the hub.

PLEASE NOTE: Any bikes left in the hub during this time will be cleaned around, but water damage may occur. It is advised you remove your bike before 5pm on Tuesday in order to avoid any damage.

The hub will return to normal use at 12pm the following day.

Kind regards

Cycle Membership Team
Transport for Greater Manchester

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2119 on: 14 February, 2020, 01:11:48 pm »
When we lived in the Essonne, a town near us once had a banner across the street saying, probably, "Soyez les bienvenus". Unfortunately it had got a bit tangled in the wind, so that it read "Soyez lesbien nus" - an almost-grammatical invitation to become naked male lesbians.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2121 on: 21 February, 2020, 12:00:17 pm »
This one keeps on giving right up to the final paragraph

https://twitter.com/Dr_RaulDuke/status/1230506376541155334/photo/1
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2122 on: 24 February, 2020, 11:26:17 am »
Go to Ilkeston for your holibobs. You'll have a hole load of fun!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-51611555

ian

« Reply #2123 on: 24 February, 2020, 12:26:33 pm »
If it's any help, I was born in Ilkeston* and can vouch that it's a really good hole. Well worth the trip.

*fat lie, I was born in Heanor, but it says Ilkeston on my passport for some reason.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2124 on: 28 February, 2020, 10:04:28 pm »
Suffolk, but the other side of the county to me  8)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-51674057
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.