Author Topic: Reliable & Reasonable priced ,printer  (Read 1087 times)

Reliable & Reasonable priced ,printer
« on: 14 December, 2021, 08:33:43 pm »
Looking for a Reliable & reasonably priced printer . Hardwired in to a computer running windows 10 . I don't need brilliant colour picture quality .Just something to print bills  etc.

Cheers Colin
Its More Fun With Three .

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Reliable & Reasonable priced ,printer
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2021, 08:40:10 pm »
Let me know,if you find one. In my experience printers are built down to the lowest price where they are just functional for long enough for you to buy excessively priced refill cartridges that have ic in them so you can’t use them after their use by dat and you can’t refill them. It seems it is a model adopted by all manufactures of domestic and home office printers. It’s a racket
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2021, 08:48:54 pm »
Get the cheapest HP printer you can find and sign up to instant ink for 2 quid a month.
The print head gets changed when you change the cartridge, and with the subscription to the ink, if there's a problem with the cart, just let them know and they will send out a new one of there's a problem.

« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2021, 10:15:00 pm »
Is that the one where if you stop the subscription the printer stops working even if there is ink in the existing fitted cartridge?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2021, 10:53:14 pm »
Reliable & reasonably priced printer

Pick one.

Consumer-grade printer are cheap because they are loss-leaders to get you to buy consumables.
Corporate grade printers not so much, but they cost more up front.

With inkjets, you need to use them fairly often, otherwise ink dries in the heads and you end up using all your ink in useless cleaning cycles.
Laser printers don't do this.
I've not used an inkjet printer in probably 20 years now.

« Reply #5 on: 14 December, 2021, 11:12:44 pm »
I'm pretty unhappy with our HP deal. A lot of our printing is for Scouts and Brownies. We'll do loads one month and then none for several more. The pricing assumes an even rate. Even if you can carry some over, you lose prints you've paid for. It definitely seems stacked in the supplier's favour.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 14 December, 2021, 11:46:08 pm »
Looking for a Reliable & reasonably priced printer

That'll be a previously-owned office-grade laser printer then.  Shame they don't make the LaserJet 4000 series any more.

« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2021, 04:15:15 am »
Our A4 mono laser printer has also been discontinued.

The first two in this link Xerox B310/B230 look similar, does anyone know much about them?

I noticed 'postscript' in the specification which, IIRC is one good thing...

https://www.printerland.co.uk/printers/laser/mono/a4

I use Cartridge Save clone toner with no problems

Beware of printers that come supplied with a tiny capacity cartridge you have to replace almost immediately.

« Reply #8 on: 15 December, 2021, 09:29:49 am »

Beware of printers that come supplied with a tiny capacity cartridge you have to replace almost immediately

Which is pretty much all of them. First Google would be how to "reset" the page count to get more prints out of the far-from-empty cartridge.  I think I go 2 or 3 resets on my Brother multi-function printer (now sadly discontinued so I need to look for a replacement).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2021, 11:44:19 am »

Beware of printers that come supplied with a tiny capacity cartridge you have to replace almost immediately

Which is pretty much all of them. First Google would be how to "reset" the page count to get more prints out of the far-from-empty cartridge.  I think I go 2 or 3 resets on my Brother multi-function printer (now sadly discontinued so I need to look for a replacement).

Sometimes that doesn't work.

Personally I avoid ink jets as the cartridges are expensive for what they are.  Sometimes the heads aren't part of the cartridge and can block.