Author Topic: WFH rejig  (Read 63836 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: WFH rejig
« Reply #625 on: 17 March, 2021, 07:15:21 pm »
Having eventually clicked "go to image" it reminded me of a ZX Spectrum loading screen being loaded, but without the red,blue and yellow bars or the sound effects.

« Reply #626 on: 17 March, 2021, 07:16:51 pm »
More interestingly I clicked on your image psyclist and it took me to a page featuring adverts picturing young ladies in a state of undress!   ;D

Yep, I’ve had that before with (I think) Imgur images here, safari onna iPad
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #627 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:20:33 pm »
Fixed the image ... sorry about that. More resolution than was needed I suspect!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #628 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:25:19 pm »
Fixed the image ... sorry about that. More resolution than was needed I suspect!

Hmm, I click on the image and get

https://imgbox.com/cwmrGgpt
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #629 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:25:24 pm »

Still slow to load here

« Reply #630 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:26:20 pm »
More interestingly I clicked on your image psyclist and it took me to a page featuring adverts picturing young ladies in a state of undress!   ;D

That’s based on your search history OD.

« Reply #631 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:51:39 pm »
Ok, third attempt. Now on Flickr, looks like a quicker load.

« Reply #632 on: 18 March, 2021, 07:15:03 am »
 :thumbsup: That’s basically now instant

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #633 on: 20 March, 2021, 02:32:59 pm »
I appreciate what follows departs slightly from working from home but revamping my home office was just part of a wider project to transform the whole garage. 

Although it might not look it I'm making steady progress with the Multipurpose Area (workshop, bike and general storage, home gym).

Yesterday I built a workbench out of off-cuts so have somewhere to site the vice I inherited from my Dad:

The left hand wall is finished so the four bikes are now in their permanent location:

Next job is to clad the right hand wall which I partially insulated with leftover materials and also clad the ceiling which has also been insulated.

« Reply #634 on: 22 March, 2021, 09:19:20 am »
... and back on topic.

I'm temporarily installed in my studio. I can't keep electronics in here overnight until the lock and shattered glass are fixed tomorrow.

Cat6 cable is doing the business. 211 Mbps when I just tested it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #635 on: 22 March, 2021, 09:20:20 am »
Very cool!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #636 on: 23 March, 2021, 04:05:52 pm »
... and back on topic.

I'm temporarily installed in my studio. I can't keep electronics in here overnight until the lock and shattered glass are fixed tomorrow.

That all looks amazing - good job!

Hope the glazing gets sorted.

Very very nice.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #637 on: 13 May, 2021, 11:43:41 am »
... and back on topic.

How are you enjoying your new home working environment?  We need more photos!

« Reply #638 on: 13 May, 2021, 02:56:22 pm »
How are you enjoying your new home working environment?  We need more photos!

Funny you should say that. I've got the final coat of danish oil to apply to the bookcases I built this evening, then I can return everything into an orderly position without tools everywhere. I'll take photos over the weekend.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #639 on: 13 May, 2021, 02:59:23 pm »
 :thumbsup:

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #640 on: 13 May, 2021, 05:21:04 pm »
... and back on topic.

Oooooh! I didn't know those lifesystems mugs came in copper!

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #641 on: 13 May, 2021, 06:34:54 pm »
Oooooh! I didn't know those lifesystems mugs came in copper!

Sam

Lifeventure. Yes, I've got a matching 'vacuum bottle' that I use for water.

« Reply #642 on: 16 May, 2021, 08:59:07 am »
We need more photos!

It is now a very pleasant working environment, with the artisan bookshelves in place. Next tasks are to construct the acoustic panels, which will also feature artworks (by a talented artist, not me!), and to get the ground around the studio sorted. Still undecided between environmentally-friendly decking, stone, or a low growing grass-alternative.

« Reply #643 on: 16 May, 2021, 11:42:00 am »
... the fact that you call yours a studio ... May I ask what you do?

I'm good at marketing! Most of the time I'm just sat at the desk on calls or working on stuff. But it's a bit dull to refer to the building as a garden office, whereas 'studio' evokes something a little more exciting.

I do some public speaking, and record bits and pieces - spoken word rather than musically. The video production side needs better acoustics than the default building provides. Too many hard surfaces currently. Generally I have duvets spread around to absorb the sound, but that's just temporary until I get another rug and have constructed the acoustic panels. The bean bag chairs are useful in that they can easily be moved out of the way when I've got the camera, mic and stuff hooked up.

I should get round to showing my WFH studio which is far from complete - and I started a year before you did.

Please do share as it progresses. Mine has only gone up relatively quickly because I got someone in to do it, rather than doing a self-build as I'd been considering doing for quite a few years. But the next stage will take much longer, getting the exterior bits done and evolving the interior.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #644 on: 16 May, 2021, 12:49:28 pm »
I wish I had room for something like that. I think my garage is going to get co-opted into the 'studio complex' - but the next addition is a bar!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #645 on: 16 May, 2021, 02:36:15 pm »
Wow, psyclist!  And I like the mention on the wall, you can be my campaign manager! 

« Reply #646 on: 16 May, 2021, 06:26:33 pm »
I want a house like that.  Ground effect heat pump Passivhaus. Perfect.  In the house we built we had doors like that on the kitchen/dining, lounge and our bedroom. Even in winter there was enough light for us to feel well and part of the garden.  In the summer it was a single space from house to garden and back.

« Reply #647 on: 18 May, 2021, 12:00:44 am »
I should get round to showing my WFH studio which is far from complete - and I started a year before you did.

Please do share as it progresses.

Alright, here goes. We started in November 2019 so this shows you the last 18 months' work all in one go. My wife and I live in a flat (the white circle on the right) and as musicians we cannot rehearse nor record at home because of the noise we make and the noises we hear. We found a small commercial premises in our building for sale.

After clearing it we moved a doorway. The steel track is there to show where we will build two walls to create a rectangular studio. Where the old doors are will be storage space and where the camera is will be a place to park our bicycles.

Behind the moved (open) doorway will be a miniature kitchen and then a toilet with its own sink. The plumber discovered that the building had been made with non-standard size fittings so much had to be ripped out and replaced. We didn't want white tiles anyway.

Someone we had recorded a CD for introduced us to Jozef, a lovely builder and handyman, who built these two walls and has done most of the work you will see.

To make this an isolated (technical speak for soundproof) studio we have to build another room inside the rectangular room. You can tell by the shadows that the steel studs do not touch the outer room.

The studs are shorter than the height of the room to allow for all the isolation hangers that Slavo is installing here. They will hold the new ceiling while keeping it acoustically separate from the original ceiling. The gap between the inner and outer rooms is filled with insulation.

The inner room's walls and ceiling are made of a layer of OSB and ...

... multiple layers of fire-rated (pink) plasterboard. We got John Brandt (jhbrandt.net) to design the room for sufficient isolation (60dB reduction is the target) and to give us a room with acoustics suitable for recording and mixing.

The toilet with new tiles, waiting for its sink.

Worktops in the toilet room and kitchen area for their respective sinks.

HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning). H and AC are handled by the air conditioner and V is handled by this ventilator. Large ducts are used to keep the air speed slow and quiet. The ducts go through 4 silencers (you can see two) to further quieten any noises in the air so that recordings will not be interrupted by motorbikes, ambulances nor the need to open the door to let fresh air in. Peace and quiet at last!

A lick of paint.

To complete the isolation phase we need doors. While I wait for them to arrive from Spain I started on the ceiling acoustics. A drop ceiling with handmade acoustically transparent tiles and the entire space above filled with insulation apart from where the other two silencers and the air ducts are. The 6 square holes in the drop ceiling are for lights.

I wanted something a bit more inspiring than an office ceiling so I made 7 hexagons.

And that brings us right up to today. I am making the next thing to hang from the ceiling, called a cloud, so that there will be more than 40cm of insulation above my head when sat mixing.

The difference between psyclist's studio and ours is that he will be recording his voice which means down to about 80Hz. Music goes down a further 2 octaves to around 20Hz so both the isolation and acoustic treatment have to be thicker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #648 on: 18 May, 2021, 12:10:06 am »
Wow...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #649 on: 18 May, 2021, 12:12:41 am »
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking