Author Topic: Di2 swap  (Read 1156 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Di2 swap
« on: 14 April, 2021, 08:46:05 pm »
A friend has bought an alu bike s/h with retrofitted Di2 (lots of sticky tape).  He wants to move all the bits to a carbon frame he has, specifically a Boardman Team Carbon.  Any tips?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Di2 swap
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:06:16 pm »
A friend has bought an alu bike s/h with retrofitted Di2 (lots of sticky tape).  He wants to move all the bits to a carbon frame he has, specifically a Boardman Team Carbon.  Any tips?

First rule of di2: The cable you have will be the wrong length...

Second rule of di2: The shop selling di2 cables for considerably less than everywhere else, will invariably be sold out of the cable you need.

More seriously, make sure you use the proper tool for inserting/removing cables.

What sort of battery does he have currently?

If you have a working di2 install, it shouldn't be too hard to migrate it. For internal routing, the way it's supposed to be done is you put a cable tie round the cable, to stop it flipping about. If it's already installed, it won't have these in the box.

Any questions, just ask, I'm getting quite good at di2 now...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Davef

Di2 swap
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2021, 09:44:20 am »
And if you have not already got it, splash out on the wu111 Bluetooth/ant thing.

It is ludicrously expensive (and doesn’t include a cable) and provides nothing essential and is therefore the essence of di2.

It means you can

A) check what version of software your left brake lever is running from your phone during a coffee stop.

B) get your garmin to beep informing your fellow cyclists that you have run out of gears on a hill.

C) most importantly, enable the secret buttons on your brake levers. You can then convince others that garmins have undocumented voice activated screen switching and listen to their fruitless calls of “garmin map” for hours/days/weeks.

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:03:19 am »
Anything involving internal routing is best done removing the fork and the bottom bracket before you even start.

The best internal routing tool is a J bend spoke and an old gear cable. Or even better, the cables that are already in the frame.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:03:51 am »
More seriously, make sure you use the proper tool for inserting/removing cables.

Officially known as a spudger*. I got one for a couple of quid from eBay. Very useful indeed.

(*I'm sure you knew this already, being an electronics type person. Spudger is a generic term, isn't it? Obviously it's the specific Shimano version roger's mate needs.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Davef

Di2 swap
« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:22:42 am »
Anything involving internal routing is best done removing the fork and the bottom bracket before you even start.

The best internal routing tool is a J bend spoke and an old gear cable. Or even better, the cables that are already in the frame.
I have always used gear cable and sticky tape in the past. The new fangled tool can be guided magnetically so you can steer round bends from outside the frame and has a fake di2 socket so you can attach the di2 cable to pull through without sticky tape. Yes, a gear cable is nearly as good, but not quite as good. I don’t think you are fully buying into the whole di2 philosophy.

Marginal gains, marginal gains I recited to myself as I opened the Jiffy bag from wiggle.

dat

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:33:22 am »
Park’s internal routing kit has saved me many hours. If you already have cables in the frame I’d just use them to feed the new ones.

« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:51:32 am »

Officially known as a spudger*. I got one for a couple of quid from eBay. Very useful indeed.

(*I'm sure you knew this already, being an electronics type person. Spudger is a generic term, isn't it? Obviously it's the specific Shimano version roger's mate needs.)

Noooo, it's not a spudger! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spudger
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2021, 11:15:31 am »

Ah! Didn't realise the term referred to such a specific thing. Still, if you search online for "Shimano di2 spudger" you will get the tool you need, even if it is misnamed.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2021, 11:29:41 am »

Ah! Didn't realise the term referred to such a specific thing. Still, if you search online for "Shimano di2 spudger" you will get the tool you need, even if it is misnamed.

I always call it the "Di2 bastard black thing that always ends up at the bottom of what ever tool box or tool bag it's in" I have several, one in each toolbox/bag.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/