Author Topic: Post vaccination effects  (Read 9247 times)

Post vaccination effects
« on: 02 May, 2021, 12:44:27 pm »
First of all, I’m totally in favour of the Covid vaccine, and if there’s a booster in the Autumn I’ll be at the front of the queue.
I had my second Pfizer jab a fortnight ago. I was fine afterwards, but I’m finding that I’m feeling a bit “ flat”, and my power figures are definitely down.
There may be no connection at all of course, but I’d be interested if anyone has had similar, and if so how quickly things returned to normal.
Distinctly preferable to getting Covid of course!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Post vaccination effects
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2021, 01:07:24 pm »
I had the first part of AZ a few weeks ago. Other than waking up in the night with a sore arm*. And then in the early afternoon I needed a good kip, just felt heavy and drained, for 4-5 hours. I haven't felt anything. Peli was under the weather for about 3 days, like she was about to come down with a cold.

*I still wake up with sore'ish arm, especially the arm on the side I was sleeping. Left overs from when I was sick some years ago, but it isn't normally that bad that I get woken up by it, but the night after the jab it was, in every joint.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2021, 01:30:35 pm »
I've been crap since I had my first dose of AZ (18th March) but it could just be that I'm crap.

I'm tired all the time and have no legs for workouts. Racing isn't as bad as workouts (implying it's at least partly psychological) but I'm not as powerful as Feb. Presumably if I can't do the workouts it's no wonder my top end power is falling off.
There is, as always, loads of other stuff going on- I'm back in the office a couple of days a week, I've had my foot 'done', I'm riding more outside, work stress which is usually acute has become a bit chronic.
Like I said, I could just be a bit crap.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2021, 01:48:30 pm »
I had a couple of days of tiredness and achy muscles after being AZed (and confused). My jabbed arm was tender for a few days more.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2021, 02:20:41 pm »
I had AZ dose I on 3rd April.

Started feeling crap after about 48 hrs.  Developed cramp in one calf enough to make me curtail my ususal post work 5k stroll and have me genuinely hobbling about. Ive only ever had calf cramps after running and then only in two legs.  A quick butchers at the NHS website showed cramp in one leg specifically as the first listed symptom of DVT which scared the bejesus out me.  Spoke to GP who enlisted the aid of two colleagues and after about 5 hours of sending photos to and from they decided I probably didnt have a DVT.  Calf cramp subsided by about a week after first dose. 

Ive only been quantifying power output this last week with gyms returning and Im about 75% of December 2020 levels despite doing an indoor turbo session pretty much daily since start of Jan.  Perceived power while out on the road feels equivalent to around 2003 when I got back into cycling ie significantly off. 

Could be something other than the vaccine else of course (age is a strong contender!).

To be clear I dont regret getting the vaccine and I will definitely go back for 2nd dose, but Im not doubt also that the vaccine is serious shit. 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2021, 02:49:51 pm »
I've now had two Astrid Zen-Knickers jabs.  On both occasions it was the 3rd and 4th day after that I suffered from physical tiredness.  Not feeling ill, just exhausted and unable to keep up with Mrs B and the dog on longer walks.
I've noticed that I still get tired and go to bed much earlier in the evening than I used to. 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2021, 03:13:40 pm »
First AZ dose six weeks ago.   
J+1, J+2 bloody awful - muscular pains, muzzy, exhausted. Paracetamol helped a bit.
J+3 pain gone, still tired.
J+4 tried to ride, jacked it in after 3 km.
J+7 did a 50k, felt OK.
Fine since.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2021, 04:08:38 pm »
I was duff for a bout a week after getting my Flu jag late last year.
Then I had a week of probable Galstone issues.
Or was it the other way round? cannae mind.

Round here there was also the false start to summer, the interlude between which and real summer can mess with yir heid an aw.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 02 May, 2021, 06:29:36 pm »
I had AZ and minimal soreness at the injection site thereafter for a short while but nothing else.
D ha AZ, was unwell for 36 hours afterwards - chills & muscle aches. D has had persistent shoulder pain on the injected side, since around the time of injection, which may, or may not, be related.

I am due my second jab this week and D's is scheduled for the end of the month.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2021, 06:35:01 pm »
The day after I was AZed, I spent most of it in bed and still felt a touch off-colour the following day but OK after that, though the sore arm lasted most of that week.

Still waiting for my top-up jab to come round.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2021, 06:40:03 pm »
12 noon AZ jab. Felt fine, rode my bike a bit.

9pm same day: I suddenly started to shiver. Then was sweating buckets and physically shaking to the core with cold. A sleepless night of sweating and shivering. I dozed the following day and started to feel better by the next evening. A couple of days later I was okay.

So, I know that the vaccine is not Covid. It is designed to teach your body to protect itself against Covid. I think the speed and severity of reaction means my body recognised the shape of virus straight away and moved to kick it out the fastest way possible. My ill feelings were my body protecting itself - because I certainly didn't *catch covid* from the vaccine. I suspect I may have been asymptomatic during the last 12 months.

Taking my wife for the jab this evening. She's nervous - but would rather have the jab and any feelings of being unwell in preference to actually catching Covid. I guess if I have been asymptomatic then she will have been too, so I'm taking a couple of days to look after her just in case she gets the same reaction I did.

« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2021, 08:14:14 pm »
E was quite ill for a few days after her first AZ. Her second is not for a few weeks.

I have had both Pfizers with minimal adverse effect.  Nothing more than a sore shoulder after the first, and slightly under the weather for a day or two after the second.

« Reply #12 on: 02 May, 2021, 08:22:10 pm »
Early morning jab, fine for the rest of the day except for an itchy arm (I think that microchip must have sharp edges).

Next day, feeling lethargic. Day after, still lethargic but not as much. After that, fine.

Mrs Marton had hers recently, felt rough for the rest of the day whn she had the jab, fine after that.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 02 May, 2021, 08:38:05 pm »
I had AZ jabs on 10th Feb and 30th April. No ill-effects that I could attribute to the jab, but twice in the nights immediately following the first jab I woke up with a mild headache. Took paracetamol and went back to sleep.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #14 on: 02 May, 2021, 08:48:52 pm »
My wife has had 2 x Pfizer, just a sore injection site. I’ve had 1 x AZ, slightly more sore, as in bruised feeling, upper arm for a couple of days. That’s it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #15 on: 02 May, 2021, 09:42:42 pm »
My wife and I both had AZ and neither of us had any problems at all, well I imagine the slight arm soreness (of injecting anything) might bother some folk, but it's nothing to donating blood through a bloody great javelin/straw (technical term).

« Reply #16 on: 03 May, 2021, 09:16:15 am »
I've been crap since I had my first dose of AZ (18th March) but it could just be that I'm crap.

I'm tired all the time and have no legs for workouts. Racing isn't as bad as workouts (implying it's at least partly psychological) but I'm not as powerful as Feb. Presumably if I can't do the workouts it's no wonder my top end power is falling off.
There is, as always, loads of other stuff going on- I'm back in the office a couple of days a week, I've had my foot 'done', I'm riding more outside, work stress which is usually acute has become a bit chronic.
Like I said, I could just be a bit crap.

Many thanks for all contributions here. Fboab’s experience is especially relevant to me. I’m struggling to hold high ( for me) watt levels during structured workouts on Zwift, and when I joined a couple of experienced and sensible riders to ease back into riding with others I was in the red zone trying to hang on, despite them deliberately riding steady.
One possible curved ball is Oil Seed Rape in flower. I’m from a family with immunity issues, and so old that Oil Seed Rape wasn’t a crop during the early years when the building of immunity would have be more likely.

« Reply #17 on: 03 May, 2021, 09:22:12 am »
My second jab should be this week at the latest but I am struggling to get an appointment in York.

At this point re fitness, I have all my stats from Zwift and Strava (yesterday I was 2nd fastest up one of York's most challenging inclines!!) so I will let you know what happens if I get jab #2.

Sadly I just had to cancel my Raid Dolomites tour this year due to the cursed covid thing. ??? >:( :'(
Move Faster and Bake Things

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #18 on: 04 May, 2021, 07:40:10 am »
I felt a bit rough for 48 hours after the first AZ jab, as did Mrs CET (she even worked from home for a day, which is a rare event even during lockdown), but was OK afterwards.  Am in better shape now than I was this time last year or for about the last 5 years, which is almost certainly a coincidence, but suggests that there have been no medium term effects of the jab. 

The improvement in fitness - have just done my fastest 10k on the ergo since 2014, could be that I'm not recovering from a 300k or 400k Audax as I would normally be at this time of year.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #19 on: 05 May, 2021, 06:28:58 am »
Booked jab#2 for Friday after phoning surgery to find out why no contact. They said there had been supply issues and promptly offered me a choice of several slots. It’s the very end of my 12 week delay. Pfizer.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #20 on: 05 May, 2021, 01:28:23 pm »
Side effects leaflet stated that I might feel cold.   It also stated I should read this carefully before being jabbed but I was given the leaflet as I left.

The weather changed and it did indeed get colder.  It's amazing.  Getting a vaccine caused the weather to change.

Other than that, as per any other vaccine I have had, no effect post stabbing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 05 May, 2021, 03:08:09 pm »
2nd AZ this pm.

Will report back.

ian

« Reply #22 on: 05 May, 2021, 04:09:38 pm »
I got the power to levitate and shoot laser beams out of my eyes. I wasn't expecting this and sadly it was temporary. For the next jab, I'm going to have my enemies and everyone who has slighted me lined up so can work through them and turn them into smouldering charcoal.

« Reply #23 on: 05 May, 2021, 04:10:53 pm »
2nd AZ this pm.

Will report back.

Closer together than most of us. My second one will be 11 weeks after first

« Reply #24 on: 05 May, 2021, 04:50:17 pm »
Got my first AZ jab yesterday and today my hay fever seems to have cleared up.  Coincidence? Hmm.

(and very sore muscles all over, although that could also be due to a hard interval session followed by circuit training on Monday..)