Author Topic: Water Kefir  (Read 1860 times)

Water Kefir
« on: 02 May, 2021, 08:12:27 pm »
Anyone tried to make it?  It sounds like it's the "for dummies" version of Kombutcha (though the flavour is different too)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Water Kefir
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2021, 08:56:02 pm »
i have made it but prefer the milk version. I was making kombucha but got out of the habit last year. Recently tried to revive the scoby but no good.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2021, 09:34:19 pm »
So what is Kombutcha and Kefir and what do they taste like

or is it just a fancy lemonade ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2021, 10:56:01 am »
Sort of non alcoholic fermented/naturally fizzy fruit juice with live bacteria and low on sugar.

Kombucha involves a bacterial culture and has a more vinegary tang to it.  Kefir is ... ummm ... based on some grains (that contain the microorganisms).

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2021, 11:17:24 am »
I used to buy kefir milk from a local Eastern European shop, but got out of the habit during lockdowns.  It would be interesting to try making my own - either with milk, or something else.

Where do you buy your kefir grains?  I've seen them in 'Lakeland' shops in the past, but they seemed too expensive for it to be worthwhile.

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2021, 01:38:05 pm »
IIUC kefir grains are reusable, if anything you have an issue when you choose to stop making it and need to put the grains into hibernation.

Found the grains selling for £4 on Amazon, not that expensive.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2021, 03:07:13 pm »
i have made it but prefer the milk version. I was making kombucha but got out of the habit last year. Recently tried to revive the scoby but no good.
I have a scoby that's basically now a blobfish and in danger of taking over my kitchen. I don't even make kombucha any more, I just fear retribution if I neglect it to the point where parts start dying. It's big enough to climb out of its tank.

If I can figure out a way to transport it to you, you're welcome to some.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2021, 08:24:07 pm »
Don't buy mk grains, especially not the powdered rubbish. There is a Kefir group on Facebook where people are offering grains for the price of postage.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2021, 02:01:47 pm »
I can't quite understand this. Kefir is a variety of fermented milk, so how do you ferment water?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2021, 03:15:37 pm »
add fruit (and sugar ... I think)
https://www.feastingathome.com/water-kefir/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2021, 04:23:22 pm »
Well fruit ferments, this is for certain.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.