Author Topic: Witney - Oxford route for tomorrow - suggestions ?  (Read 1856 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Witney - Oxford route for tomorrow - suggestions ?
« on: 18 March, 2017, 09:35:42 am »
We've just complted Sustrans routes Cardiff- Chepstow- route 4

45 Severn Bridge to Berkeley

& 47-Nailsworth Cirencester then NCN 57 Witney along the Windrush valley
All with a tailwind ! (Photos later)

The Sustrans routes appear to peter out here - any local knowledge to suggest a route to Oxford tomorrow and the train home ?

South via Stanton Harcourt (can you cross the river @ Babcock Hythe to continue to Cumnor?

Or north via Blenheim Palace and into the City on route 5?

Thanks

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Witney - Oxford route for tomorrow - suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2017, 09:41:43 am »
Best I can suggest is to head to Eynsham on the back road, over the toll bridge (free for bikes - or used to be) and come in to Oxford on the Botley side.  Bus/cycle lane from there to the railway station. 

ETA.
Witney > South Leigh, pick up B4449 towards Eynsham, follow this to B4044, I'd then fork right towards Cumnor on the 4017 and the from Cumnor, down Cumnor Hill - wheeeee - into Oxford but you can just carry on on the 4044 under the A420 and come into Oxford close to Seacourt (Decathlon!).

Two reasons for the detour via Cumnor, makes the trip a little bit longer and the freewheel down Cumnor Hill. :)

I believe there _used_ to be a ferry at Babcock Hythe, but that it ceased operation decades ago. Haven't been that way myself so can't be certain about that.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2017, 12:53:52 pm »
I would endrose everything in Mr Lurker's post, EXCEPT I'd leave out Cumnor, because:

- it's a sod of a climb! (of course that my be an advantage, according to taste)
- the B4044 East of Farmoor is really pretty (and flat), and I've never experienced much traffic on it. It's certainly prettier than Cumnor Hill (a textbook example of strip development).

Have fun!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

meddyg

« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2017, 09:12:49 pm »
Thanks for tips
We did in today on't bus S2 express in which revealed there is a bike path all the way along A40
Then came back on S1 via Eynsham thro Farmoor at dusk .

I think we'll guess our way north east to Sustrans 442 and around Blenheim Palace
We have plenty of time before train at 4 !

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2017, 08:35:53 am »
... there is a bike path all the way along A40.
Yeah, but it's a noisy, miserable ride and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  Your, "follow our noses" plan sounds much better.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

meddyg

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2017, 08:59:07 pm »
We guessed our way to New Yatt and north Leigh , and then followed the cycle route NCN 442 along tha A road to long Hanborough. This, conveniently is the location of the Oxford Bus Museum. These were parked in the drive

'I think that blue one's a 'Tatra'  I shouted to Liz  'and the rest are Wartburgs.'
-Oh these things appeal to cyclists who a fond of cheap motoring.... I think they were all right hand drive so assume the Tatra owners' club were having coffee there.

The rest of the museum is excellent and after visiting a further refuelling, cycled east to hit the A44 and NCN route 5 which took us into Oxford in time for late lunch at the Botanic garden.

They are having a twilight bus run next weekend which you'd not want to miss if you are nearby !
http://www.oxfordbusmuseum.org.uk/#/events/4573867286