Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2462151 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6225 on: 18 March, 2013, 11:11:43 am »
I seem to have reacquired this tasteful little number

Since I last owned it (in 2011) it's had some wet weather miles which have resulted in the bronze finish on the rims wearing through to plain alu, and a few more chips and scrapes.  Looking forward to riding it again, and I hope that its arrival while Mrs R was away on a school trip to France doesn't cause too much grief!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #6226 on: 18 March, 2013, 12:33:02 pm »
Just finished rebuilding this  :)

Giant TCR frame & forks, ultegra groupo except 105 sti's, blingy ultegra carbon pedals  :)
spesh seatpost, fizik aliante carbon saddle, fsa stem & bars with cinelli gel tape & mavic ksyrium elite wheels with pro 3 tyres.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

savine

• the Lord is my rock
« Reply #6227 on: 22 March, 2013, 03:55:55 pm »

my two geared road bikes.
daniel-savine.blogspot.de

« Reply #6228 on: 22 March, 2013, 04:16:09 pm »
Just finished rebuilding this  :)

Giant TCR frame & forks, ultegra groupo except 105 sti's, blingy ultegra carbon pedals  :)
spesh seatpost, fizik aliante carbon saddle, fsa stem & bars with cinelli gel tape & mavic ksyrium elite wheels with pro 3 tyres.

Ooh, pimpy. Looks fast.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6229 on: 22 March, 2013, 09:36:27 pm »
Can't be . . .

. . . 's not RED, innit . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6230 on: 22 March, 2013, 09:40:33 pm »

my two geared road bikes.

Very nice :) Must be very satisfying to have made them yourself.

savine

• the Lord is my rock
« Reply #6231 on: 23 March, 2013, 01:06:46 pm »
There is something in riding your own creation. As a kid I wanted to build but then the wanting died n not till I was 40 was I able to. After years of riding other builders frames I wanted to ride my own. Problem now is I've  a couple of Roberts frames in boxes in the garage and my cellar is also full.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6232 on: 23 March, 2013, 05:56:12 pm »
Savine - I especially like the chainwheels on those bikes (it's a component that IMO has a big effect on the overall look of a bike, though I don't think everyone agrees!). What are they?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

savine

• the Lord is my rock
« Reply #6233 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:31:27 pm »
These are Rotor rings that help you pedal easier, I use them to save my old knees. It's not a new idea as Shimano had the Biopace rings late 80's and if you go back to the late 1800's similar rings were about. I know how they work but I can't put it into words, I've converted a number of nates over the past five years n they all swear by them but you need them on every bike to notice any benifit although not needed on a fixed geared bike but it is possible to use.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6234 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:42:21 pm »
Ta. They're more subtle about it than the Biopace were!

savine

• the Lord is my rock
« Reply #6235 on: 23 March, 2013, 07:36:23 pm »
I think their more thought out than Biopace and you get three different positions to use for your ideal set up. In my opinion they come into their own when climbing hills as you hit a point on each turn it just rolls over if you get me. I've never done an audax but for racing are perfect...give em a go.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6236 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:17:42 pm »

I has a DY that fits me!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #6237 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:20:35 pm »
*gasp*

That's so lovely!

tiermat

« Reply #6238 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:25:43 pm »
Not quite finished yet, it needs a rack ('guards *may* come later).

It is a DY frame I bought from IZ, 631 Reynolds.
Brooks B17 Special
Easton EA70 "aero" bars
6600 through out.
Tiagra Vbrakes.
Rear wheel is Ultegra hub, A319 rim and 6600 12-30 cassette
Front wheel is T-665 dynohub, A319 again.
Tyres are 32mm M+ (and you would NOT believe how difficult they are to get onto A319s)
A520 pedals (may swap them for M530s)
SP front light, may swap it for the IQ Cyo+ I have as the SP doesn't have a standlight.

On first impressions it is lovely, can't wait to try it on a longer (i.e > 1 mile) ride.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #6239 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:28:39 pm »
Not quite finished yet, it needs a rack ('guards *may* come later).

It is a DY frame I bought from IZ, 631 Reynolds.
Brooks B17 Special
Easton EA70 "aero" bars
6600 through out.
Tiagra Vbrakes.
Rear wheel is Ultegra hub, A319 rim and 6600 12-30 cassette
Front wheel is T-665 dynohub, A319 again.
Tyres are 32mm M+ (and you would NOT believe how difficult they are to get onto A319s)
A520 pedals (may swap them for M530s)
SP front light, may swap it for the IQ Cyo+ I have as the SP doesn't have a standlight.

On first impressions it is lovely, can't wait to try it on a longer (i.e > 1 mile) ride.

Well get that bike and your sorry ass in the car and get over here then, so we can go for a ride!

tiermat

« Reply #6240 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:34:18 pm »
I would love to LG, but work stops me having any fun! :(

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6241 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:45:26 pm »
with such a tall head tube, headset spacers and stem pointing up it looks like a comfortable ride

tiermat

« Reply #6242 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:10:28 pm »
with such a tall head tube, headset spacers and stem pointing up it looks like a comfortable ride

Exactly as I intended, this is aimed at being my lightweight tourer, my Inbred 29er being the more hardcore one.  I intend using this when I know that there is no COR and also when I intend to carry the bare minimum of stuff with me.  I guess it will see a fair bit of the Thursday night runs...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6243 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:14:52 pm »
No COR today. COR tomorrow. There's always COR tomorrow. Look, someone's got to keep some damn perspective around here.  COR, sooner or later.

« Reply #6244 on: 26 March, 2013, 05:06:35 pm »
It doesn't look as massive as I expected!

You bringing it out on Thursday?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6245 on: 26 March, 2013, 05:35:24 pm »
Looking gooooood.
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #6246 on: 26 March, 2013, 06:15:50 pm »
Deano, yes, I think I will, it is nearly ready for an evening ride, just needs a rear light!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6247 on: 26 March, 2013, 06:33:37 pm »

Exactly as I intended, this is aimed at being my lightweight tourer, my Inbred 29er being the more hardcore one.  I intend using this when I know that there is no COR and also when I intend to carry the bare minimum of stuff with me.  I guess it will see a fair bit of the Thursday night runs...
No COR today. COR tomorrow. There's always COR tomorrow. Look, someone's got to keep some damn perspective around here.  COR, sooner or later.
What is COR?  ???

« Reply #6248 on: 26 March, 2013, 06:40:56 pm »
Comedy off road, usually undertaken on mildly inappropriate bikes.

See the back end of the 2011 Tan Hill ride for some fine examples.

For example.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6249 on: 26 March, 2013, 07:36:39 pm »
Cheers, comedy off roading I'm familiar with both as term and activity (I rather like the look of the Tan Hill path), but didn't connect it with the abbreviation.