Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2461395 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6575 on: 05 October, 2013, 06:59:41 pm »

5D3_6411 by simpleimages_mike, on Flickr

Simples  :thumbsup: I likes that I does :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6576 on: 06 October, 2013, 08:11:13 pm »
I'm a little bit jealous.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6577 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:12:37 pm »
Green with envy?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6578 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:20:07 pm »
Green with envy?
Green with something - Surly call that 'Hospital Foam Green' ...

« Reply #6579 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:26:25 am »
Now, if you subsequently find that the top tube is a bit long for you...

DIBS!

« Reply #6580 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:38:04 am »
Now, if you subsequently find that the top tube is a bit long for you...

DIBS!

Just keep your Aravis....  Re-spray if it's the colour you like! ;D

« Reply #6581 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:26:13 pm »
I even have the CX tyres ready to go :)

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #6582 on: 07 October, 2013, 05:39:18 pm »
New Bicycle machine thingy ..... treated myself

WIll be replacing the knobbly tyres with big fat road tyres

« Reply #6583 on: 07 October, 2013, 06:24:49 pm »

Love that.

If that was mine it'd have midge bars, fat slicks or ice tyres with guards. My bad taste may not suit you though :)
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #6584 on: 07 October, 2013, 06:27:18 pm »
I've ordered some riser bars and will be swopping the tyres for a set of Big Apples or Fat Franks

« Reply #6585 on: 07 October, 2013, 06:32:39 pm »
I've ordered some riser bars and will be swopping the tyres for a set of Big Apples or Fat Franks

My bad taste is contagious, almost :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6586 on: 07 October, 2013, 06:34:42 pm »

Love that.

If that was mine it'd have midge bars, fat slicks or ice tyres with guards. My bad taste may not suit you though :)
Mine's got Mary bars ... wouldn't have it any other way.
It also has hydraulic brakes and 9 fewer gears  :P

Nice bikes - can't understand why Genesis discontinued them, although I'd like to take a length of Clue-By-Four to the idiot who thought a crimped seat tube was a good idea.

« Reply #6587 on: 07 October, 2013, 07:04:44 pm »
There seems to be a few of us on here with bad taste then :D

I could live with the seat tube. I've seen the adventure and love it, especially with the price reductions. I just daren't get another bike yet!

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #6588 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:53:38 pm »
Quote from: interzen link=topic=17.msg1573486#msg1573486 date
[/quote
Mine's got Mary bars ... wouldn't have it any other way.
It also has hydraulic brakes and 9 fewer gears  :P

Nice bikes - can't understand why Genesis discontinued them, although I'd like to take a length of Clue-By-Four to the idiot who thought a crimped seat tube was a good idea.

Just received some EA50 monkey bars.. Going to stick those on and see how I go... How do you find the Mary bars?

« Reply #6589 on: 07 October, 2013, 10:05:52 pm »
I don't know about interzen but I love mine. They are what made me happy on my mtb, see above post with my pic.

They're like risers with a huge sweep backwards. The backwards sweep enable you to tilt the horizontal angle to suit your wrists perfectly.

The only downsides I've found are:

Hydraulic brake hoses may need to longer to cope with the extra distance backwards.

In very technical off road sections, especially going slowish the bars can be in at your knees. I run a 40mm stem though.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6590 on: 08 October, 2013, 10:53:50 am »
I don't know about interzen but I love mine. They are what made me happy on my mtb, see above post with my pic.
Wouldn't be without them, to be honest - the I've got them on both my Genesisisisises, with another pair waiting in the wings for when I rebuild the Pugsley. The only reason my 1x1 doesn't have them is because the hose on the front brake is too short and I can't be arsed to replace it just yet.

The backsweep is a big win, especially in light of recent armfail (trapped ulnar nerve) and with Ergon grips they're just plain awesome. They don't sweep back as much as the Jones H/Loop bars, though. In fact, if On-One did a 'loopy' version of the Mary bar I'd be all over that - Jones bars are nice, but not £100-worth of nice.

I've got Midge bars on my soon-to-be-sold yellow Day One, and they're about the best road-oriented bars I've used - my choice of hydraulic brakes precludes their use on the mountain bikes, though.

« Reply #6591 on: 08 October, 2013, 02:30:46 pm »
if On-One did a 'loopy' version of the Mary bar I'd be all over that

God, I wish they would!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6592 on: 08 October, 2013, 03:26:20 pm »
if On-One did a 'loopy' version of the Mary bar I'd be all over that

God, I wish they would!
The closest I found was the Surly Moloko bar, and that didn't stay in production for very long ...

I shall endeavour to take a picture of Fortitude Adventure + Mary bars on the way home.

EDIT: Just noticed that the price of the Jones Loop bars has gone up to £130 ... or £400 if you want the Ti version  :o

« Reply #6593 on: 08 October, 2013, 04:24:01 pm »
I think I'll stick to Mary bars!

Don't forget the pic ;)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6594 on: 08 October, 2013, 05:25:42 pm »

Don't forget the pic ;)
Your wish is my command  ... behold the awesomeness of Mary bars and fixed-gear transmissions (crappy phone pics, sadly)
This very bicycle will, with any luck, be going on a little trip to Leftpondia next year ...

Both pics can be embiggened through the magic of clickage.

« Reply #6595 on: 08 October, 2013, 05:39:58 pm »
Excellent :thumbsup:
I'm well jeal ( TOWIE speak ) :D

I do like them, I've even been pricing them up!

Its nice to see a bike that comes with a rigid fork too. I'm trying to drop hints to my wife but she's got selective hearing syndrome. I can't even get the frame because most of my mtb parts won't fit. I'd definitely have alfine, slicks, guards and midge bars. So that means avid bb7s. Don't think I'd risk ss for load lugging duties.

Liking the green saddle ;)

Don't think I've ever had a green bike before.........

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6596 on: 08 October, 2013, 05:51:36 pm »
Excellent :thumbsup:
I'm well jeal ( TOWIE speak ) :D

I do like them, I've even been pricing them up!
Given that they're now discontinued, you should be able to get one at a reasonable price - the full build spec has an Alfine-11 and BB7s which would tick most of the boxes for you. You'd need to fit new bars and brake levers though.

This one was built up from frame and forks - it started life as a singlespeed, but once I got my High Latitude (essentially the same frame but in Reynolds 520 rather than 725) the Green Machine was converted to 2-speed fixed and the HL is now a singlespeed. I didn't get on with BB7s so fitted Deore hydraulics which are monumentally evil stoppers - given that I'm planning to ride the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (and all that it entails) I figured that I'd happily sacrifice the field-bodgeability of BB7s for something that would actually stop me in extremis - still need to fit the 180mm rotors, though. The only other change that's on the cards is rebuilding the front wheel with an SP PD-8 hub dynamo to hook up to an eWerk which will, in turn, charge my GPS.

As it stands now, it's almost ready for monumentally silly off-road bike adventures. Wish I could say the same about the rider.

Liking the green saddle ;)
B17 Standard in funky colours - I've got an orangeMandarin one on my orange Day One.
Worth the extra couple of quid over a bog-standard B17 if colour coordination is your thang.

« Reply #6597 on: 08 October, 2013, 08:37:33 pm »
I had a Dawes Horizon a while ago and really liked it, but they have now stopped making them and whilst this year they now offer a cheap Galaxy it is alloy frame and really nasty parts.

So a search found that Spa cycles have them in stock, so over the weekend I pdi'd it and changed the parts that I had spare etc.

Did a short ride on Sunday to make sure all is well and I am very pleased with it.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #6598 on: 08 October, 2013, 10:54:51 pm »

Don't forget the pic ;)
Your wish is my command  ... behold the awesomeness of Mary bars and fixed-gear transmissions (crappy phone pics, sadly)
This very bicycle will, with any luck, be going on a little trip to Leftpondia next year ...

Both pics can be embiggened through the magic of clickage.

Very cool looking machine, put the Easton monkey bars on mine tonight, plus a riser stem extension to bring the bars level with the seat I'm getting to old for riding around with my arse in the air. Not sure I like the look of it though may see if a stem with a steeper angle may work. And you are right there are fortitude bargains to be had got mine for half of list price

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #6599 on: 09 October, 2013, 06:48:03 pm »

Nothing fancy, but it suits me. Basically a Trek 7.1FX with seatpost and cranks from an old Cannondale tourer. Bars are SJS Northrounder with Ergonish grips from Lidl. Front bag is a modified waist pack, hung from a couple of bar ends. Hub motor to help up the hills, with the battery in the Cadet saddlebag. Worst ever range 36 miles, best 100 on just over half charge.
Jennifer - Walker of hills