Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2461214 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7350 on: 26 August, 2014, 03:30:26 pm »
Slope, where did you find that 140mm quill stem?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7351 on: 26 August, 2014, 04:39:52 pm »
Slope, where did you find that 140mm quill stem?

It's a 3TTT. I got it earlier this year from PlanetX. They don't list it anymore :'(.

They do have a 140mm black Cinelli 1A though - as if black could ever look good on any components other than tyres and Brooks saddles ;D

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/STCI1AQRS/cinelli-1a-quill-road-stem

Here's a pic with it at its 80mm maximum above min insertion mark. It's vertically ovalised on the horizontal section, which is ever so slightly outre for those of us who don't know where nor when to stop faffing . . .

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7352 on: 27 August, 2014, 05:24:08 pm »
Ta.
They do have a 140mm black Cinelli 1A though - as if black could ever look good on any components other than tyres and Brooks saddles ;D
And bar tape and saddle bags. Apart from that, though...  :-\

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7353 on: 27 August, 2014, 10:56:07 pm »
I posted some shots of this bike in its previous incarnation a couple of years ago. While I don't recall doing so, the link says the photos have been removed. So you'll just have to believe me when I say that it was a different colour and it had flat handlebars and some other quirks.

The story is that I just put some drops and working brakes on it. But there was a problem - I could not stop the gears from chattering. I set them up to within a micro-somethingth of perfection on the stand but, out on the road, they'd chatter and clatter, click and slip so much I thought I'd go mad.

Then one day I spotted the problem: the rear drive-side drop out was cracked. Almost impossible to see, but my guess is that under load it moved enough to throw the indexing out.

Well, if I was going to have the drop out replaced - which meant ruining the chroming on the stays and thus a respray - I might as well have a paint job of my choosing (and a second set of bottle bosses and the seat clamp needed tidying up and... well, you get the picture).

But the result is a joy. In truth, the bike doesn't quite fit me. I've had to take a slight liberty with the manufacturer's recommendation on stem height to get the fit right. But it is so lovely to ride (and look at) that I can live with that.

Here's my Mercian:

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #7354 on: 27 August, 2014, 10:59:23 pm »
This frame and forks (just post war?) are starting a new journey. Me new custodian  :)

1948 - 1953? Leach Marathon. Reynolds 531 throughout.

I LOVE my old thin steel tubed delights  :)

Look forward to seeing that one finished.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7356 on: 28 August, 2014, 06:44:13 pm »
That's a nice one!

(I was looking for a long, preferably shiny, quill stem a while ago - but needed 11/8" - in any case I ended up changing the bars instead  :-\)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #7357 on: 28 August, 2014, 07:19:58 pm »
That's a lovely looking Mercian Paul; I love the classic colour scheme. Great job!

« Reply #7358 on: 28 August, 2014, 10:05:50 pm »

Here's my Mercian:

Very very nice, the colour scheme is great and that lovely green is very eye catching  :thumbsup:

Is this the one that used to be purple, or was that a different bike?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7359 on: 29 August, 2014, 10:16:37 pm »

Here's my Mercian:

Very very nice, the colour scheme is great and that lovely green is very eye catching  :thumbsup:

A very lovely bike! with regards to the overextended stem, Nitto Technomic stems come in at 150mm long or 225mm long
 http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/nitto-technomic-ntc-150-quill-stem-1-inch-prod27443/

Paul

« Reply #7360 on: 30 August, 2014, 06:54:15 pm »

Thanks Aidan. I agonised over the colour for a long time. I spent more time than I'd care to admit on the Mercian frame builder page trying out different combinations, but I kept coming back to the green and white with gold lug lining.

The purple one was a different bike: a Claud Butler that was (ironically) a smidge to big for me, but which fitted an old friend of mine, so he has it now.

Paul

« Reply #7361 on: 30 August, 2014, 07:03:51 pm »
That's a lovely looking Mercian Paul; I love the classic colour scheme. Great job!

It's even better in the flesh, but thanks.

A very lovely bike! with regards to the overextended stem, Nitto Technomic stems come in at 150mm long or 225mm long
 http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/nitto-technomic-ntc-150-quill-stem-1-inch-prod27443/

And thank you too (and for the link). They're a bit pricey, and swapping is a faff, but the existing one - as well as being too short - is also a bit scruffy.

« Reply #7362 on: 31 August, 2014, 12:05:34 pm »
N+1  ::-)

'92 Rory O'Brien. Butted 531 throughout, 8-speed Campagnolo, Handbuilt wheels

Bought from a club-mate, for £120.  ;)

I added the: Brooks B17, Carradice, Mudguards and...

...Leather YACF mudflaps.  :D

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Ruth

« Reply #7363 on: 31 August, 2014, 12:12:32 pm »
That first picture, with you in it, is really lovely  :)

« Reply #7364 on: 31 August, 2014, 12:15:54 pm »
That first picture, with you in it, is really lovely  :)

Thanks.  :-*

I just put it on the Members Photos thread toooo.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7365 on: 01 September, 2014, 09:08:57 am »

My commuter fixer in Autumnal trim after riding in this morning.  48x19 and hard as nails.  I gave it a good fettle yesterday, including some lovely new wheels (Open Pro on Ambrosio high-flange) with 28c Marathon Plus tyres.  That's not made it any lighter, but for the half hour commute, I value reliability a little higher than speed and the Uxbridge Road isn't known for being free of glass, potholes and other hazards.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7366 on: 01 September, 2014, 09:12:17 am »
The Very Lovely Valencia, setting off on a spot of Teeny Tiny Touring.

There were hills and beer and forumites.  And hills.  And canal tow-pathery.  And pushing.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7367 on: 01 September, 2014, 09:18:40 am »

My commuter fixer in Autumnal trim after riding in this morning.  48x19 and hard as nails.  I gave it a good fettle yesterday, including some lovely new wheels (Open Pro on Ambrosio high-flange) with 28c Marathon Plus tyres.  That's not made it any lighter, but for the half hour commute, I value reliability a little higher than speed and the Uxbridge Road isn't known for being free of glass, potholes and other hazards.

If I may make so bold . . . The Durano Plus is given the same p*nct*re resistant rating as the M+ and it's a damned sight lighter.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7368 on: 01 September, 2014, 10:15:59 am »
Fair point, Mr Torslanda.  But the M+ I put on were almost brand new and had been kicking about in the SEEKRIT BUNKER for some time, awaiting their glory.  I've got Duranos on my audax bike and they're lovely so when these ones wear out*, I'll probably go over to Duranos on the commuter, too.

*Sometime around 2018, I expect, they're built like fekkin' tank tracks...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7369 on: 01 September, 2014, 10:28:20 am »
I like Durano + boots. Whilst we were in the Alps I was looking at the Contis that Tomsk and Huggy were using to good effect. I'm tempted to give them a try but I'm not sure I'm brave enough. The last thing I want is to realise my mistake at 3am somewhere in the Fens.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7370 on: 01 September, 2014, 05:11:13 pm »
1. Schwalbe don't make boots.

2. I wouldn't be brave enough to give Tomsk and Huggy a try either. Leave that to Reg!

3. To avoid mistakes in the Fens, avoid the Fens. Which is a good philosophy in any case.

;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7371 on: 01 September, 2014, 05:37:57 pm »
1. Schwalbe don't make boots.

2. I wouldn't be brave enough to give Tomsk and Huggy a try either. Leave that to Reg!

3. To avoid mistakes in the Fens, avoid the Fens. Which is a good philosophy in any case.

;D

I'm trying to avoid the Fens, they keep drawing me back.  And I suspect this might continue into 2015 unless I can sort out my PBP qualifying a little more imaginatively! 

I have spent many a night with Huggy and Tomsk both in this country and French France.  Don't knock what you haven't tried  ;D  Or perhaps you have  :demon:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7372 on: 01 September, 2014, 07:57:55 pm »
Perhaps that's a story for another time...!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7373 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:03:14 pm »
Perhaps that's a story for another time...!

;D

« Reply #7374 on: 03 September, 2014, 09:59:17 am »

:thumbsup:  ;D