Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2460751 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7500 on: 09 November, 2014, 04:59:44 pm »
P1010137 by JuanM58, on Flickr

P1010136 by JuanM58, on Flickr

During the summer, while I was off the road (and off work for a while) I kept myself out of mischief by building up this Gillott Continental. I noticed the frame on EBay; it was local to me and I thought that I would kick myself if it went unsold so I put in a minimum bid and won it. Most of the components came from EBay and bike jumbles although I bought the wheels and chainset from a well-known purveyor of vintage kit. The mudguards were fitted for cycling in company in the autumn; they can come off in the summer. It has taken a bit of settling down but is a nice bike for running round the lanes for a few hours on a sunny afternoon.

1950 Gillott Continental frame and forks
Airlite HF hubs (fixed/free), 5 speed Regina 14-24; 27” Alesa rims, 32/40 with 1 1/8” Michelin tyres.
Universal 51 calipers with GB Superhood levers
GB spear point stem with GB Olympic bars, Brampton headset
Stronglight Chainset with 52/46 Simplex chainwheels, BW/TDC bottom bracket
Lyotard 45 pedals. Ale clips and Christophe straps
Campagnolo GS ‘matchbox’ front derailleur, Campagnolo GS rear, Campagnolo levers
Reynolds 27.2mm ‘dome top’ alloy seat post, Brooks B17N saddle

Lovely. I'vbe just been given an A S Gillott by a friend. It belonged to his father, who was at one time the London-Brighton-London record holder and is currently sinnglespeed.

When the shed is built I'll start looking at it and decide what to do.

« Reply #7501 on: 09 November, 2014, 11:18:23 pm »
Just refurbished Sue's 2001 Orange Evo2. New Suntour Epicon 100mm forks and some cheap Avid Elixir 3 brakes from the 'bay. Special offer wheels from Superstar, including Pacenti CL25 rims and a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow saddle for her comfort. Finished with a pair of slightly blingy Token gold lock on grips. First ride today. A gentle pootle, but looking good and the saddles gone up an inch already.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7502 on: 14 November, 2014, 06:02:06 pm »
No, this wasn't inspired by Jurek, I've been waiting for it to all come together for a while longer:

Orignally an S1R, with Kinetics XRF8W hub kit and Spa XD2 double crankset (in order to get the all-important 160mm crank length).  The extended Kinetics chain tensioner means the outer ring is usable for flatland/descending gears - if you don't mind stopping and getting your fingers oily with the upshift - but the big ring's main purpose is to stop the fold from rattling (achieved by the plastic trouser guard on the stock crankset) and to avoid Doing A Pippa in normal trousers (I'll wipe the outer ring clean after using it on a serious ride).  I figured it was marginally more useful to have a sprocket than a bash-ring.

I originally wanted an M-type, but after test-riding the S I decided it was infinitely superior[1] handling-wise.  I've stuck a Litepro bar extender on to achieve a bar height about halfway between the M and S type, while maintaining the S's slightly longer reach.  This also means that proper luggage doesn't foul the brakes/cables.  Ergon GP2 grips.  The fold still works (even with all the gadgetry on the bars), though the bar-end may may only clear the ground because of the rack and easy wheels (can measure if anyone cares).

Dynamo lighting, because it's just *better* (especially on a bike that's going to do a lot of sitting around and then be ready to go at short notice).  Shimano hub because the budget didn't stretch to the Schmidt, though I've replaced the Lyt B with a Cyo, because the Lyt has no standlight.  Moon Comet battery light on the saddle rails, because two is one and one is none.  The black Scotchlite is there as paint protection.  I couldn't achieve a decent finish with that large an area of helicopter tape.

I've bodged the hinge clamps with a compression spring and bit of plastic box so they're self-opening and auto-aligning.  I've no idea why Brompton haven't done something to improve them.  I'm also wondering why they haven't discovered seatposts with alignment marks on them.

Wellgo QRD pedals, so I can swap between SPDs and flats, and to avoid folding pedal on non-Brompton crank issues.

I'm still waiting on the correct size bottom bracket (chainline's a few mm off), and I think the brake cables could be a centimetre or so shorter (I've moved the levers inwards to make room for the shifter since I replaced the stock cables to compensate for the change in bar height).  And I'm not 100% convinced by the Brompton saddle, though it's a lot better than I expected it to be.

But yeah, I've got a  a) bendy bike that  b) goes up hills  and  c) is sufficently low geared to be used as a mobility aid[2] next time I b0rk my knee.

Many thanks to the various People On The Internet who unknowingly provided useful input to this project, including - but not limited to - Arellcat, rogerzilla and velovoice OTP.   :thumbsup:

[1] The less said about the P-type the better.  I suppose it must fit *someone*.
[2] A large part of the reason for getting one, other than the usual trains and security stuff.  I don't see myself doing huge mileages on this (though I'll probably have to ride to Brighton at least once on principle), but having it available as an alternative to walking (in situations where a full-sized bike isn't really practical) should be extremely helpful.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7503 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:11:32 pm »
Nice - and very Kim! Which is to say, personalised in a functionally geeky way!  :thumbsup:

But what is 'helicopter tape'?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7504 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:15:21 pm »
Good stuff Kim. Interesting build for sure!

I rode my brompton for the first time in two years recently. I had been thinking of selling it, but it just comes in handy from time to time. I paid very little for it (2007/8 on cycle scheme thing) compared to what they cost these days, so it will remain.

All the cool kids are getting them it seems.  ;)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7505 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:21:49 pm »
Nice - and very Kim! Which is to say, personalised in a functionally geeky way!  :thumbsup:

*nods*  Also, BLACK.

But what is 'helicopter tape'?

"3M leading edge tape" or functional equivalent.  Originally designed as an easily replaceable protective layer for the business end of rotor blades (which presumably get sandblasted on takeoff/landing anywhere vaguely dusty), it's just the thing for protecting tactical bits of bike frame from bouncing chain, rubbing cables, or being clanked by foldy bits.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7506 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:31:44 pm »
I rode my brompton for the first time in two years recently. I had been thinking of selling it, but it just comes in handy from time to time. I paid very little for it (2007/8 on cycle scheme thing) compared to what they cost these days, so it will remain.

That's what I'm thinking.  I probably won't use it very heavily, but it'll be good to have it available when I do need it.  Also, Bromptons are lovely.  And it's not like they take up a lot of space when not in use...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7507 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:32:42 pm »
Thanks.

<googles>
Crikey, it's expensive!
Warning! Intended for appropriately trained professional/trade users only with awareness of hazard and safety procedures.
Just right for Kims then, and indeed adding to the bike's Kimness.  :)

http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/3m-helicopter-tape-15cm-x-91cm-roll-1.html

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #7508 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:37:57 pm »
That's interesting Kim, and a nice build. Hmmm I'm sure I could hide one away under the bench in the garage.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7509 on: 15 November, 2014, 03:15:45 pm »
a bike i'll be riding every now and then

« Reply #7510 on: 15 November, 2014, 03:38:45 pm »
tappity-tappity-tappity-tap.....
I've bodged the hinge clamps with a compression spring and bit of plastic box so they're self-opening and auto-aligning. 
tappity-tap.....
Goes and looks in the drawer marked 'Springs. Compression. Miscellaneous' and wonders 'Why didn't I think of that?' :facepalm:

tap-tap.....
auto-aligning. 
.....tappity-tap
How achieved, please?
I should be ashamed, and go and figure it out for myself. But I am having an exceptionally relaxing afternoon....

tappity-tap.....
 I'm also wondering why they haven't discovered seatposts with alignment marks on them.
.....tappity-tap
Indeed! Mine is currently marked with a permanent all surface marker. Once I've established where I want my saddle to be, the seat post will get a double tap from my Moore & Wright automatic centre punch.
I seem to remember doing that to Pippa's Brompton when she got it.

Really, looking at what you've done, you've kind of finished the bits which Brompton should've done  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7511 on: 15 November, 2014, 03:39:56 pm »
That looks very nice ZigZag.
Still a fan of Ksyriums, then?  ;)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7512 on: 15 November, 2014, 04:15:33 pm »

thanks Jurek. i struggle to find a better value wheels thank ksyrium sl - there are plenty of wheels that are faster, lighter etc, but ksyriums do everything well, are reliable, easy to get the tyres on and with rim-friendly brake pads rims will last good few years.

« Reply #7513 on: 15 November, 2014, 04:30:50 pm »
Aye.
There's a reason they're on three of my five bikes....  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7514 on: 15 November, 2014, 06:22:37 pm »
tappity-tappity-tappity-tap.....
I've bodged the hinge clamps with a compression spring and bit of plastic box so they're self-opening and auto-aligning. 
tappity-tap.....
Goes and looks in the drawer marked 'Springs. Compression. Miscellaneous' and wonders 'Why didn't I think of that?' :facepalm:

tap-tap.....
auto-aligning. 
.....tappity-tap
How achieved, please?

Inspired by something that came up by accident on google image search:

Compression spring.  9mm external diameter by 20mm or so in length:

I don't have a photo of the bit of plastic to hand, but...

Bit of plastic box, not particularly critical what, but something reasonably thin that's not going to crack when bent and crushed.  Microwavable takeaway container or something would be a good bet.  I used one of these, but purely because it was lying around doing nothing after I cannibalised the lid for a different project.

What you want is a L-section of the bottom edge of the box, with the 90 degree bend in it.  Length isn't critical, but a bit smaller than the Brompton hinge clamp.  Drill a 8mm hole right up against the corner.  Trim that face lengthwise as close as you dare to the hole.  This is the bit that sits inside the clamp.  The clamp screw should be a nice snug fit in the hole, and the plastic will act as a washer for the spring.  The protruding edge of the plastic will serve as a flexible extension to one side of the hinge clamp (the one against the bit of bike to which the clamp is screwed) - this stops the clamp rotating, and automagically guides it into correct alignment as it's tightened.

I expect the plastic is a wear item, but it seems to work.  Bonus points for colour-coordination.

tappity-tap.....
 I'm also wondering why they haven't discovered seatposts with alignment marks on them.
.....tappity-tap
Indeed! Mine is currently marked with a permanent all surface marker. Once I've established where I want my saddle to be, the seat post will get a double tap from my Moore & Wright automatic centre punch.
I seem to remember doing that to Pippa's Brompton when she got it.

Good thinking.  My saddle height is working at about a thumb's width down from full extension, which is good in that it's easy enough to get one of either the height or rotation correct, but I need to ride it more before making a permanent mark.

Really, looking at what you've done, you've kind of finished the bits which Brompton should've done  :thumbsup:

Really not sure why they don't offer the XRF8(W) as an option.  The hub just slots in, chainrings aren't rocket science, and the only clever bit is an extended tensioner/idler (which would open up new gearing options with the standard hubs, too).  It's a good range of gears for pretty much anything except silly loaded touring.

The lack of short cranks options irks me on principle, given that folding bikes tend to be really good at fitting small people.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7515 on: 15 November, 2014, 10:31:45 pm »
a bike i'll be riding every now and then

Nice bike, but just as importantly - how come it's so dry in your woods?!?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7516 on: 15 November, 2014, 10:46:07 pm »
Nice bike zigzag - I look forward to seeing it at the start of many Audax rides in the future!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7517 on: 15 November, 2014, 11:39:15 pm »
not sure you'll see it on audaxes ridden by me marcusjb, my dad is currently riding it in sweden (it's his bad weather/winter trainer). but it's set up so that it fits both of us, with minor adjustments. it has lower gears (34x28) than his summer bike (39x23) so good for spinning up the hills, more robust tyres, mudguards and cheap(er) drivetrain.

the pics were taken in lithuania a month ago, the driest and warmest autumn ever!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7518 on: 16 November, 2014, 05:35:07 am »

thanks Jurek. i struggle to find a better value wheels thank ksyrium sl - there are plenty of wheels that are faster, lighter etc, but ksyriums do everything well, are reliable, easy to get the tyres on and with rim-friendly brake pads rims will last good few years.
Yes, I love them too. My 2009 Ksyrium Elites are pretty much as light as my twice-as-expensive Fulcrum Racing Zeros, ride better and feel better under braking. And look much better!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #7519 on: 16 November, 2014, 03:14:33 pm »
All these bikes are far too clean  ;) I've just bought this home:

It needs a bit of TLC, and a good scrub in the bath, but I got it for a price I couldn't resist. And it'll only get muddy again anyway  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7520 on: 16 November, 2014, 03:28:13 pm »
Some things beg for mud. Nice one, Dibdib.
Getting there...

« Reply #7521 on: 16 November, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »
That looks fun dibdib  :thumbsup:

The ever growing Miss Moultonaught the junior's latest steed:

Retro-steel-tastic

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #7522 on: 17 November, 2014, 09:57:10 am »
do I spy thumb shifters on it ?.

the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #7523 on: 17 November, 2014, 10:03:14 am »
Surprisingly not! It's Suntour gearing with underbar trigger shifters. I'm a fan of Thumbies, but these are really nice to use - with the saddle up it fits me!  ;D
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #7524 on: 17 November, 2014, 10:50:53 am »
ah, I should have gone to specsavers  ::-) :).nice looking bike . I am sure miss moultonaught will get lots of good miles on it  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see