Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2460985 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8200 on: 20 June, 2016, 09:55:09 pm »
My toy

With built in tail wind!  :thumbsup:

My first thought was that the flags were pointing the wrong way, too.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8201 on: 20 June, 2016, 10:02:36 pm »
The downside is the masssssive fan I have to drag around with me
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8202 on: 20 June, 2016, 11:49:06 pm »
The downside is the masssssive fan I have to drag around with me

You really shouldn't talk about Peli like that!   :o ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8203 on: 20 June, 2016, 11:59:20 pm »
New keyboard please :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8204 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:27:08 am »
WHAT?
VELOMANCER

« Reply #8205 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:20:51 pm »

See post 8189. n+1 now rescued from the closed-down-LBS-of-doom.

They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

dim

« Reply #8206 on: 21 June, 2016, 09:46:43 pm »
1980's Condor with old 105 Golden Arrow groupset. Had my 1st ride tonight and it's good .... Need to customise it (the fenders need readjusting, needs new bartape, brake hoods, better tyres, etc etc .... saddle is a leather condor and is in good condition..... looks old style, but it's actually very comfortable for the few km that I have ridden:

am selling this bike (my daughter's Trek bike), and will get her a Surly LHT (she is trying to 'claim' mine  :(

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #8207 on: 21 June, 2016, 11:33:46 pm »

am selling this bike (my daughter's Trek bike), and will get her a Surly LHT (she is trying to 'claim' mine  :(

What size frame? I can seet he seatpost is right down, so not holding out much hope

dim

« Reply #8208 on: 22 June, 2016, 04:27:40 am »

What size frame? I can seet he seatpost is right down, so not holding out much hope

its a 50cm frame, (from centre of crank to top of seat post clamp, and the top tube measures 50cm from the centre of the handlebar stem to the centre of the seatpost. standover height is approx 75cm. It's a compact design (WSD)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8209 on: 22 June, 2016, 10:26:54 am »
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Chris S

« Reply #8210 on: 24 June, 2016, 06:47:17 pm »
Oh Well. If we're all going to hell in a handcart, may as well have fun ON A NEW BIKE before we go!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8211 on: 24 June, 2016, 06:48:48 pm »
Way to exit!

And you can tell you've not lived there long – the kitchen is spotless!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8212 on: 25 June, 2016, 12:08:17 pm »
Spoke reflectors AND a dork disc?

Dear me! Standards . . .
VELOMANCER

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8213 on: 25 June, 2016, 03:25:14 pm »

I'm sure Chris will deal with those at the same time as he sorts out his gear selection.

Won't you Chris?

Bike's lovely, by the way. I was going to say that it's not really my cup of tea, but the more I look at it the more I think I could start drinking different tea.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Chris S

« Reply #8214 on: 25 June, 2016, 04:00:50 pm »

I'm sure Chris will deal with those at the same time as he sorts out his gear selection.

Won't you Chris?

Bike's lovely, by the way. I was going to say that it's not really my cup of tea, but the more I look at it the more I think I could start drinking different tea.

Funny you should say that!

Quote from: fboab
Take those fucking things off...

« Reply #8215 on: 25 June, 2016, 06:21:31 pm »
Funny you should say that!

Quote from: fboab
Take those fucking things off...
Get a proper jar of Marmite too!
I dread to think what foul substance is in a jar of CHRIS.  :o

« Reply #8216 on: 30 June, 2016, 01:26:04 pm »
My Latest project. Mrs Trekkers new tourer.

Out of the box (thanks Ebay) last week.

And this was it this morning ready for it's first commute

The black stem is borrowed from my winter bike whilst I set her position and the crankset is mine also, borrowed from my MTB/touring conversion project which is next on the list but otherwise it's pretty much finished (except she wants a silver rack and matching mudguards).

First camping tour on it will be Friday for the fully loaded gallery.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #8217 on: 30 June, 2016, 01:29:14 pm »
Ooo. That looks lovely.

Mrs h has been making murmurings about a road bike recently. Therefore watching this thread with great interest.
Rust never sleeps

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8218 on: 11 July, 2016, 10:55:38 am »
By chance I found a 50T one-piece Chainring/Crank this weekend.

This enabled me to complete the re-gearing of The PABBB (The Pink And Black Blotchy Brommie).  It now rides like a dream, no more spinning out top gear at jogging pace.

As inherited.

Almost finished. 50T Chainring.  (everyone has told me to leave it pink, black and blotchy and not respray it.)

Those chain links from an old SRAM PC1 1/8" chain I kept in the Bitsa-box came in handy.  I stitched them into the existing chain and saved a few quid.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #8219 on: 12 July, 2016, 07:21:36 am »
My new winter/everything bike, a Pinnacle Arkose (mudguards still need fitting so it's not quite complete yet, but I took it for its first ride last night):

I've swapped out the knobblies it came with for 28mm road tyres, which I'm really impressed with comfort-wise - I actually found myself seeking out the bumps in the road, rather than avoiding them!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8220 on: 13 July, 2016, 05:55:51 pm »
The Red Baron Rides North...

This one's been a work in progress for a while now, after years of doing not very much in Charlotte's SEEKRIT BUNKER.  Plenty of type 2 fun with internally-routed cables and corroded bolts, plus the usual joy that comes with obtaining short cranks.

Anyway, I finally got it roadworthy with the addition of a middle chainring earlier this week, so I took it out for a fall-down shake-down ride in the local park this afternoon.  It's a fairly twitchy beast, so most of that was spent practising starts and stops, tight turns and riding very slowly.  Neverthless, I can report that while it doesn't necessarily show signs of wanting to go fast, it certainly likes going around corners a fair bit more than the Streetmachine does.

Several items on the buglist:  Loose steerer.  Ergonomics.  That bloody headrest.  I also remain unconvinced about the merits of a 36-spoke SON28 on a small-wheeled ostensibly fast bike (presumably the original owner had one in the shed or it predates the SON Delux or something) - some dirty wheel-swapping may be required.

I only dropped it 1.5 times.  After an hour or so of manoeuvres, the In The Night Garden Live showdome emptied out, so I fled the mass of excited toddlers to have a go at the uphill silly sustrans gate slalom (no issues) and see how it handled at 30mph+ on the road back down the outside of the park.  And promptly fell over sideways twice when trying to set off at a junction with a silly camber.   :-[

I also need to find a proper hair solution that doesn't involve either  a) stuffing it all under something sweaty  or  b) an unobtanium carbon fibre tailbox.  My hair's notoriously uncooperative at staying tied up, and I fear that if it snags in the wheel I may end up with a broken neck, or at least rocking the RichForrest look.

Obviously I've enough ICE trike experience to know that being low down isn't a problem in traffic, but without tadpole wheels, it does leave you vulnerable to goose attack  (DAHIKT).   :hand:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #8221 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:57:41 pm »
A work in progress, but I've succumbed to steel! A Planet X WF Holdsworth Cyclone frame, with bits from the spares box: Ultegra 6600 groupset (bar R650 brakes), de-decalled Ksyrium Elites, Cinelli bar & stem, Brooks Cambium saddle. One day it'll have silver Athena (must be Campag for Holdsworth, right?!) and a nice pair of Mike Conway wheels, but I'm buying a house just now and those will have to wait.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8222 on: 13 July, 2016, 10:38:13 pm »
One day it'll have silver Athena (must be Campag for Holdsworth, right?!) and a nice pair of Mike Conway wheels,
I look forward to that.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8223 on: 14 July, 2016, 12:44:36 am »

OUCH!

That's gorgeous!

Now you are going to ruin it with derailleurs?

I may need to copy that paint-job
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #8224 on: 14 July, 2016, 08:30:20 am »
The rear derailleur and cassette are on there already, and the compact double on the front is also a clue! I don't do fixed, and this frame is not made to be a fixed-gear setup. There are alternative Holdsworth frames for that!