Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2461157 times)

AnthCC

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4175 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:13:40 pm »
Still got my three main bikes - Cotic Soul; Fixie Inc Peacemaker (though I think that's got a crack in a chainstay); and Planet X Kaffenback.

But two projects in the garage, one very new (that confirms Cotic fanboy status), and one very old that I've finally got round to working on (and has me in the esteemed company of Elgar).

(decals on the Sunbeam courtesy of H Lloyd Cycles)

« Reply #4176 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:19:32 pm »

That post there in the background. Hell, yeah - the one with the orange reflectors.
Is that just *slightly* not straight, Tewdric?
Hmmm?
  :P

« Reply #4177 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:20:44 pm »
Still got my three main bikes - Cotic Soul; Fixie Inc Peacemaker (though I think that's got a crack in a chainstay); and Planet X Kaffenback.

But two projects in the garage, one very new (that confirms Cotic fanboy status), and one very old that I've finally got round to working on (and has me in the esteemed company of Elgar).

Where's the rest of the chain stay and the seat stays ???

« Reply #4178 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:21:40 pm »
Lovely bike Feline. I like the contrast of titanium, latest SRAM gears and carbon seat post with Brooks and Carradice.

AnthCC

« Reply #4179 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:23:18 pm »

They detach, believe it or not. The chainstay is within an oil bath chaincase, the seat stays are held together by a bridge, and then bolt in at the top of the seat tube and at the end of the chainstays. Rather ingenious I thought as I stripped it down. Less so, I thought, when I realised I've somehow lost the various bolts in the time between sending it off for a respray and getting it back...

« Reply #4180 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:25:22 pm »
Is that just *slightly* not straight, Tewdric?

It got modified by an Audi recently - I need to get round to mixing some muck to fix it!  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4181 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:26:07 pm »
Sorry to hear about your Peacemaker.  I've lusted after that bike for a while now.  The Sunbeam is looking good.
Getting there...

AnthCC

« Reply #4182 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:27:39 pm »
Sorry to hear about your Peacemaker.  I've lusted after that bike for a while now.  The Sunbeam is looking good.

I'm still riding it - not done a thorough investigation. Although clearly I'm growing up, AND feeling the n+1 vibe, and looking at getting an old frame that I can stick 'guards on (and probably a rear brake as well) to replace it as the daily commuter. Will keep the frame and get it sorted/resprayed in due course and have it as a 'fair weather fixed'. :)

« Reply #4183 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:28:00 pm »

I like those Sunbeam decals  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4184 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:28:13 pm »
:thumbsup:
Getting there...

AnthCC

« Reply #4185 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:29:31 pm »

I like those Sunbeam decals  :thumbsup:

Really nice friendly chap I was in touch with for them as well. Some are basically stickers, some are waterslides. Need to lacquer over them to protect them, but very very impressed (and their range is astonishing).

« Reply #4186 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:33:42 pm »

They detach, believe it or not. The chainstay is within an oil bath chaincase, the seat stays are held together by a bridge, and then bolt in at the top of the seat tube and at the end of the chainstays. Rather ingenious I thought as I stripped it down. Less so, I thought, when I realised I've somehow lost the various bolts in the time between sending it off for a respray and getting it back...

As you say ingenious but with a fatal flaw, but then so do all the best ideas.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4187 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:33:03 pm »
Too many gorgeous bikes over the past few pages to comment on.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #4188 on: 22 February, 2011, 09:02:33 pm »
This is my 16 year old British Eagle purchased from a shop in Cornwall and which first served as my off road machine but finally ended up as my commuter bike in London. The wheels and the rest of the transmission have been swapped out a number of times but a lot of the bike remains original. It's not a very sleek nor nippy creature but I love it to bits.

I'm about to upgrade to a Tricross 2011 Road (cheers Mr Wascally Weasel for your input sir) which I'm excited about but I think my heart will always reside with this mongrel.  :)
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain

« Reply #4189 on: 22 February, 2011, 09:12:51 pm »
That looks lovely Sigod  :thumbsup:
I can understand your affection for it.
I feel the same about my old MTB.

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #4190 on: 22 February, 2011, 09:22:16 pm »
Thanks Chocolatebike and I'm glad it's not just me.  :) I have a mate of mine where I work that still uses his old 1980's Peugeot roadbike as a winter trainer even though he has a much better machine to hand. Ah bless.   ;D
 - Mark Twain

« Reply #4191 on: 23 February, 2011, 10:26:06 am »
Did Ten CC actually patent quiche?
http://sites.google.com/site/tencyclingclub/quiche

No we didn't, and Feline seems to be pushing the boundaries of quiche anyway.

My 42/28 evolved from want to get a nearly 1:1 gear using the close ratios of a road cassette.

Feline, can I ask why, on what seems to be a no expense spared dream bike, you went for the Black Rain fork? Was there nothing else available? Seems an odd way round to do it, with the price of the chainset!

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4192 on: 24 February, 2011, 08:46:46 am »
Not looked at this for a while and there are too many class bikes put on recently. The way things are going YACF will be spending the UK out of the recession on our own.
Fantastic bikes all.

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #4193 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:47:13 am »
Cycling certainly seems to be one of the few growth areas in the economy right now. In my old neck of the woods (East Sheen - South West London), there used to be only one bike shop and now there are five!
 - Mark Twain

« Reply #4194 on: 24 February, 2011, 11:05:30 am »
Did Ten CC actually patent quiche?
http://sites.google.com/site/tencyclingclub/quiche

No we didn't, and Feline seems to be pushing the boundaries of quiche anyway.

My 42/28 evolved from want to get a nearly 1:1 gear using the close ratios of a road cassette.

Feline, can I ask why, on what seems to be a no expense spared dream bike, you went for the Black Rain fork? Was there nothing else available? Seems an odd way round to do it, with the price of the chainset!

The fork and headset came with the frame from Sabbath, included in the price. I didn't really see much advantage choosing anything different tbh, but I would be glad to hear suggestions/reasons for improving on it :)

« Reply #4195 on: 24 February, 2011, 11:14:02 am »
Because if you don't buy something new you'll get withdrawal symptoms from not having boxes of shiny bike kit delivered to your door?

« Reply #4196 on: 24 February, 2011, 08:38:50 pm »
This is my 16 year old British Eagle purchased from a shop in Cornwall and which first served as my off road machine but finally ended up as my commuter bike in London. The wheels and the rest of the transmission have been swapped out a number of times but a lot of the bike remains original. It's not a very sleek nor nippy creature but I love it to bits.

I'm about to upgrade to a Tricross 2011 Road (cheers Mr Wascally Weasel for your input sir) which I'm excited about but I think my heart will always reside with this mongrel.  :)

I had one of these, what model was it?  I sold it last year - after a powder coating and upgrade of various worn out bits.  Sadly the ebayer who bought it got a bargain and I barely covered my costs!!!

and after....

The full story and pics are on my blog here, too much to paste in to this post.

http://paulmor.wordpress.com/category/my-bikes/project-british-eagle/

« Reply #4197 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:09:14 pm »
Why Feline, you bike is puuuuurrrrrrtttttty! :)

Many Happy Miles.

Thanks  :D
I am well known in my CTC for wearing stuff to match my bike, I am now thinking I should turn up next week wearing black and silver for a laugh  ;D

Seen this? 

Genuine Sram XX Team Gilet Size L on eBay (end time  27-Feb-11 21:25:44 GMT)

:demon:

« Reply #4198 on: 25 February, 2011, 01:10:53 am »
Why Feline, you bike is puuuuurrrrrrtttttty! :)

Many Happy Miles.

Thanks  :D
I am well known in my CTC for wearing stuff to match my bike, I am now thinking I should turn up next week wearing black and silver for a laugh  ;D

Seen this? 

Genuine Sram XX Team Gilet Size L on eBay (end time  27-Feb-11 21:25:44 GMT)

:demon:

LMAO! I must have it!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4199 on: 25 February, 2011, 01:17:05 am »

I did a total 180 WHO THE FUCK NICKED SIMON'S BIKE! and then realised it was you.  Oops.

I still think, at least in that photo although an oldie it looks like a cracker. Looking forward to seeing the new bike of course.