Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2462170 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4575 on: 24 June, 2011, 04:53:56 pm »
Yeah cheers, it turned out much better than I expected, especially considering my budget.  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4576 on: 24 June, 2011, 05:00:05 pm »
Looks colly understated and smart.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4577 on: 24 June, 2011, 05:27:54 pm »
Doosh, what was the bike originally and who did the respray?  I have just fitted those Avid levers on one of my bikes which is very similar to yours, they are amazing.

« Reply #4578 on: 24 June, 2011, 05:45:33 pm »
It was a Trek Singletrack (boggo rigid MTB) it's certainly nothing special but as a one-bike-does-all it's not bad for what it cost me, just considering some narrower and lighter tyres for when I'm just on day rides and the like.

RE the paint: I just dropped it off at the local powder coaters, they blasted off the flaking naff 90's paint job and I opted for white. £30 all in. I love the brakes, even with the standard Avid pads they are so much nicer compared to the old brakes with Koolstop salmons.

« Reply #4579 on: 24 June, 2011, 05:49:53 pm »
Stand that doubles as exhaust pipe is a nice touch!  Are we going to see this bike on the ride To Tan Hill?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4580 on: 24 June, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »
It was a Trek Singletrack (boggo rigid MTB) it's certainly nothing special but as a one-bike-does-all it's not bad for what it cost me, just considering some narrower and lighter tyres for when I'm just on day rides and the like.

RE the paint: I just dropped it off at the local powder coaters, they blasted off the flaking naff 90's paint job and I opted for white. £30 all in. I love the brakes, even with the standard Avid pads they are so much nicer compared to the old brakes with Koolstop salmons.

Very nice.  My favourite bike is a bog standard hardtail MTB (2004 Claud Butler Rock) that has been extensively improved and makes a superb one-bike-does-it-all just like yours.

« Reply #4581 on: 24 June, 2011, 05:55:17 pm »
Stand that doubles as exhaust pipe is a nice touch!  Are we going to see this bike on the ride To Tan Hill?

Aye, it's my only steed nag ;D

Although I'm sure after the ride back to Darlo over the moor I'll regret having it painted white  :facepalm:

That stand is probably up there with the panniers as the most useful bike item I've ever bought, it's awesome.

Simonb

« Reply #4582 on: 24 June, 2011, 06:15:15 pm »
Jalopy has had her new coat and been refitted. No new bling though, except for the swanky new avid brakes and levers, I love em already!

Very nice. Reminds me of my old Orange C16 what was nicked and I've never got round to replacing. My ultimate do-it-all bike: carted around 2 kids on it for a few years. They'd just about grown too big for the carting-around bits so I had it all tarted up, new everything.

</ sheds a tear for my lovely bike>

« Reply #4583 on: 24 June, 2011, 07:29:02 pm »
Nice Orange that, shame about it being tea-leafed  :(

My only complaint with the Jalopy is the forks, they're a bit straight and too stiff, fine for MTB'ing but not much good on the road. I do get quite a bit of buzz and it can be quite tiring on the wrists.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4584 on: 25 June, 2011, 04:45:50 pm »
Nice Orange that, shame about it being tea-leafed  :(

My only complaint with the Jalopy is the forks, they're a bit straight and too stiff, fine for MTB'ing but not much good on the road. I do get quite a bit of buzz and it can be quite tiring on the wrists.

My ex-MTB jalopy still has it's suspension forks; given it is mostly a road bike they are a bit OTT and add to the bike's not inconsiderable weight. But, it is very comfy to ride with no buzz or nasty wrist jars if we hit a pothole - so the forks will be staying!

deliquium

« Reply #4585 on: 02 July, 2011, 06:13:26 pm »

1982 Raleigh Record Ace 531 - original frame and headset, everything else replaced, saddle via Dinamo of this parish (heavenly comfort - he must have a wonderful arse?), 700c conversion - lovely Sunday old fart pootler with leather under one's derriere and hands, the scent and sound of spinning rubber, musty cotton duck swaying gently over one's buttocks when honking and freshly applied ball bearing grease can make a grown man so, so happy in later years - must get some amber wall Panaracer Paselas though. And some older less deep section rims would be good - I have a pair of Mavic Mod 4 which were the intended - but one has got something loose "tinkling" about in it and they're double eyeletted - oh life can be so cruel?

« Reply #4586 on: 02 July, 2011, 06:16:48 pm »
'Tis a thing of beauty.

Bag's a bit slack, though.

deliquium

« Reply #4587 on: 02 July, 2011, 06:19:43 pm »
'Tis a thing of beauty.

Bag's a bit slack, though.

Yes, it swings most wildly with 4 Stellas :smug:

« Reply #4588 on: 02 July, 2011, 07:17:12 pm »
1982 Raleigh Record Ace 531

I like that  :) and I agree the Paselas would look much better on it. I'm never sure if I'd get on well with those (midge?) bars personally but they look well on that bike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4589 on: 02 July, 2011, 08:35:53 pm »
I like those bars and I think they'd be pretty comfy (for me) for some more relaxed riding, without being too stately. The whole bike's lovely. Does that beautiful colour have a name?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

« Reply #4590 on: 02 July, 2011, 09:13:20 pm »

1982 Raleigh Record Ace 531 - original frame and headset, everything else replaced, saddle via Dinamo of this parish (heavenly comfort - he must have a wonderful arse?), 700c conversion - lovely Sunday old fart pootler with leather under one's derriere and hands, the scent and sound of spinning rubber, musty cotton duck swaying gently over one's buttocks when honking and freshly applied ball bearing grease can make a grown man so, so happy in later years - must get some amber wall Panaracer Paselas though. And some older less deep section rims would be good - I have a pair of Mavic Mod 4 which were the intended - but one has got something loose "tinkling" about in it and they're double eyeletted - oh life can be so cruel?

Lovely rennovation!

Paselas and a Green (Brown Leather straps) Barley saddlebag to matche the existing leather would finish it prfectly (imo)

« Reply #4591 on: 02 July, 2011, 09:45:10 pm »
+1 ^ that does look special.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4592 on: 03 July, 2011, 12:13:03 am »
Looks a great bike, nicely done. Notice that loads of those on ecovelo have the same bar set up, looks very comfy.

deliquium

« Reply #4593 on: 03 July, 2011, 12:34:36 pm »
I like those bars and I think they'd be pretty comfy (for me) for some more relaxed riding, without being too stately. The whole bike's lovely. Does that beautiful colour have a name?

In 1982 Raleigh called it Ice Green, I've also seen it referred to as Fern Green - a very subtle metallic - fortunately the very minimal rust spots match the Raleigh decals! Re the bars which are Mungos (On One were selling them off at £15), they're very comfy, relaxed and as you say, not too stately - on the hoods feels like riding tri bars 8)

deliquium

« Reply #4594 on: 04 July, 2011, 05:02:11 pm »

Paselas and a Green (Brown Leather straps) Barley saddlebag to matche the existing leather would finish it prfectly (imo)

Just seen a pic of Tewdric's Bob Jackson - and you're absolutley right about the Barley!

« Reply #4595 on: 04 July, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »

Just seen a pic of Tewdric's Bob Jackson - and you're absolutley right about the Barley!

The green ones do go very well with honey Brooks kit. 

That's a really lovely bike - and extremely well put together by the look of it.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #4596 on: 04 July, 2011, 07:38:26 pm »
My brother has just started scanning some of his old slides - here's me riding a road race on a fondly remembered Every circa 1985.  Note the Duegi clogs, Benotto tape, Campag Nuovo Record gears, Maillard compact 6 speed block, Weinmann Carrera brakes, under the saddle tub, lack of braze ons etc.  The wheels I hardly need tell you were Campag Record on GP4.  The colours are those of Shirley Roads Club.  I see that I chose to omit a pump, on the grounds that I could borrow one from a spectator/marshall if needed.

Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #4597 on: 04 July, 2011, 07:42:25 pm »
My brother has just started scanning some of his old slides - here's me on a fondly remembered Every circa 1985.  Note the Duegi clogs, Benotto tape, Campag Nuovo Record gears, Maillard compact 6 speed block, Weinmann Carrera brakes, under the saddle tub, lack of braze ons etc.  The wheels I hardly need tell you were Campag Record on GP4.  The colours are those of Shirley Roads Club.

If that were the year after with Delta brakes, it would be *little-moment* inducing.  As it is is merely fabulous!  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4598 on: 04 July, 2011, 08:07:24 pm »
...and the hairnet!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4599 on: 08 July, 2011, 07:58:32 am »
Terrible phone picture of my latest acquisition an On-one carbon Whippet with lots of XTR loveliness. It's currently being used on the road as my road bikes are still sitting in a container at a docks somewhere in the UK waiting to be sent out to me >:(

Anyway, this is looking out over Brunei bay this afternoon during my first training ride in nearly 6 months. 2 hours of sweat and crazy Asian drivers.