Author Topic: sewing repairs on carradice saddlebags  (Read 6866 times)

sewing repairs on carradice saddlebags
« on: 25 July, 2011, 09:04:23 am »
The stitching was coming undone on the straps on my Nelson (not manufacturing defect, it was something I did), and I had a hole rubbed in the bottom.

Carradice don't do repairs anymore, but they kindly sent me some fabric when I asked about repairs.

So I bought some strong thread, a thimble, and some leather needles and set to last night.

Oh, my it is difficult getting needles through that leather!  Bent smallest needle, managed with the next one. Only did one strap and it is really messy. Took me ages. I kept pushing the needle through from inside of the bag and 'missed' the line - the needle point came out in the wrong place.

Gave up trying to sew the patch on and did as Carradice suggested. They said to glue on with copydex - I used leather-repaid contact adhesive - that seemed to work really well.

I still have one strap to sort out - anyone have any suggestions on how to produce neat stitches in a line?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: sewing repairs on carradice saddlebags
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:06:55 am »
I recently bought a "Speedy Stitcher" to redo some stitching on my Carradice gear.  Looks like it will do the job, but I've yet to try it in anger.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:10:56 am »
It might help to try punching the holes in the leather before sewing. Use an awl.

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:15:58 am »
the leather has holes - but how do you find them from the other side?

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:27:34 am »
My grandfather was a saddler and he always used a bradawl to make the pilot holes for the needles. He had a big clamp ( giant bulldog clip) that held the pieces of leather together, this was held tight between the legs allowing the use of and two hands. With the bradawl he was able to make a pilot hole, then feed a needle and thread (two needles ) from either side simultaniously (double stitching). It was great to see.

« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:29:37 am »
I took mine into http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/ , they sewed the straps back on and fixed a hole in about 10 minutes, for six pounds. 

I guess with the cost of postage it will be more expensive than DIY but they did a much better job than I could have.  Perhaps if there's a saddlers nearby to you they'd be worth a call?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:29:52 am »
My grandfather was a saddler and he always used a bradawl to make the pilot holes for the needles. He had a big clamp ( giant bulldog clip) that held the pieces of leather together, this was held tight between the legs allowing the use of and two hands. With the bradawl he was able to make a pilot hole, then feed a needle and thread (two needles ) from either side simultaniously (double stitching). It was great to see.

That's a good point, if not double stitching, pushing a unthreaded needle through from the top side (i.e. the side with the leather on) will help you locate where the hole is.  Push needle through a little, so point shows on other side,  push threaded needle in alongside that needle, remove first needle then pull threaded needle through.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:34:59 am »
 :facepalm:

that is so obvious - now you've suggested it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2011, 02:20:25 pm »
I was disappointed that Carradice don't do repairs any more, but they were very helpful when I called them - I've just deposited my Super Cs at a local cobbler's for repairs. £6.50.

I'd only make a mess if I tried myself, and I'd probably stab myself too.

« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2013, 08:02:25 pm »
This may be an old subject! But do you know anybody with a sewing machine that may be able to help you!
"Can yer ride tandem"?

« Reply #10 on: 25 May, 2013, 08:45:39 pm »
Interesting that this thread started with "Carradice don't do repairs anymore". They must have restarted, since they repaired my Super C rack bag last autumn. It got new velcro straps for a fiver, plus P&P both ways. Very neatly done, & as good as new - though with that patina that a decade of use brings.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #11 on: 27 May, 2013, 07:02:47 am »
That "speedy stitcher" certainly looks useful!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 27 May, 2013, 08:47:29 am »
What you need is a sailmakers palm and needle.  This is what sailmakers use for sewing canvas.  The needle has a triangular end that makes an easy hole and the thread then pulls through easily.  There is a hard base fixed onto the palm that you use to push the needle through initially.  You can also get left handed ones, I have one since I am left handed.

http://marinestore.co.uk/Davey_Palm_Roping_Store_Left_Hand.html
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

« Reply #13 on: 27 May, 2013, 11:20:56 am »
This is what you want.  http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/velox-velox-tyre-tub-tube-spares-accs-velox-needle-thread-for-tubular-repairs/velotyrz300000000000  A stout triangular needle as recommended above, plus very tough thread.  I've been using it for decades to repair leather goods.  If fitting new straps, drill the holes first.

« Reply #14 on: 27 May, 2013, 08:27:29 pm »
Like Mike, I've taken mine into general professional repairers on the odd occasions where I had problems. One company patched a Nelson saddle bag with leather, very successfully. Bag and shoe repairers, or even saddlers, may be able to help.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 28 May, 2013, 12:07:25 pm »
Carradice giving up repairs and the York Rally Show cancelled - it's the end of the world!  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16 on: 28 May, 2013, 02:47:24 pm »
CARRADICE STILL DOES REPAIRS!

Or at least, did last autumn, 15 months after the post which said they'd given up. I have proof, in the form of a rather nicely repaired Super C rack bag. There was something about it on this forum at the time, with a contribution from Carradice Bag Lady.

Whether they only do a limited range of repairs not including what the OP wanted, or whether it was a short-lived policy, or whether there's some other explanation for the OP, I do not know. But it is definitely not true that Carradice no longer does repairs.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17 on: 28 May, 2013, 04:26:23 pm »
...a rather nicely repaired Super Crack bag.
Now it's all going to pot.

« Reply #18 on: 29 May, 2013, 12:05:01 pm »
CARRADICE STILL DOES REPAIRS!

Or at least, did last autumn, 15 months after the post which said they'd given up. I have proof, in the form of a rather nicely repaired Super C rack bag. There was something about it on this forum at the time, with a contribution from Carradice Bag Lady.

Whether they only do a limited range of repairs not including what the OP wanted, or whether it was a short-lived policy, or whether there's some other explanation for the OP, I do not know. But it is definitely not true that Carradice no longer does repairs.

I think they changed their minds and started doing the repairs again.

This is the email I received:
  Unfortunately we don't have a repair service any more.  You might  be able to have the straps stitched back in place at a shoe repair shop as they sometimes have the equipment for repairing leather.  If you let me have your postal address I can send you some patching fabric and instructions.  You will need some Copydex adhesive as well.

Kind regards

Margaret
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #19 on: 29 May, 2013, 03:02:10 pm »
There once was a "Carradice Bag Lady" as a member here, but her last post was early December 2012, so she may no longer be active on this forum, but if she still reads the messages she should be able to confirm the current situation. 
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #20 on: 29 May, 2013, 08:48:57 pm »
From the profile of Carradice Bag Lady -

Date Registered:
    December 07, 2009, 06:04:48 PM
Local Time:
    May 29, 2013, 08:47:25 PM
Last Active:
    April 23, 2013, 06:22:23 AM

Hillbilly

« Reply #21 on: 17 June, 2013, 06:13:19 pm »
The leather seatpost holder on my Barley (i.e. the one the strap threads through) gave up the ghost.  Stitching came undone (and I cocked up the repair, discovering that super glue isn't super at all when it comes to leather/fabric interfaces).  I've bought a new one, but am minded to bodge a repair on the old one out of nostalgia.

I am pondering using a D-Ring type arrangement rather than a leather holder, through which the leather strap will feed.  The ring "holder" punched/riveted into place through the bag fabric.  Has anyone tried a similar bodge, with any comments on feasibility (or suppliers).

« Reply #22 on: 10 August, 2013, 02:03:05 pm »
There once was a "Carradice Bag Lady" as a member here, but her last post was early December 2012, so she may no longer be active on this forum, but if she still reads the messages she should be able to confirm the current situation.
Hi still here ( occasionally )

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23 on: 18 April, 2021, 04:43:38 pm »
I've been (clumsily - unlike my late great-uncle, who was a sailmaker, I suck at needlework) darning holes in an old Lowdown bag this afternoon.  Darning will never give a watertight repair but it does give the bag its structural integrity back before I glue a patch on the inside.  With a big hole, there are only really two options before using the repair kit: either darn it first, or sew a reinforcing patch on the outside.  Otherwise you still have a hole to show the messy side of the glued-on repair patch, and it'll fall apart anyway.

The repair kit on its own would work for a clean tear or cut where no material has been lost, but the no.1 failure mode for Carradice bags is abrasion, usually against walls.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: 18 April, 2021, 04:48:16 pm »
I bet Carradice would do a repair on it if you sent it back to them, even though it's old.