Author Topic: Chain lube - recommendations please  (Read 1760 times)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
Chain lube - recommendations please
« on: 15 July, 2013, 01:07:04 pm »
I have used both the wet and the dry versions of Finish Line. I can't say I like either particularly - the dry one doesn't seem to flow into the chain and by the end of a decent length ride I find the chain is starting to squeak a bit and the wet one seems so sticky and attracts grit.

Is there something else out there that you would recommend??

Cheers,
Gibbo.

Re: Chain lube - recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2013, 01:16:21 pm »
Purple Extreme.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2013, 03:47:45 pm »
I have used both the wet and the dry versions of Finish Line. I can't say I like either particularly - the dry one doesn't seem to flow into the chain and by the end of a decent length ride I find the chain is starting to squeak a bit and the wet one seems so sticky and attracts grit.

Cheers,
Gibbo.

Is that PTFE one? It's what I use and would have recommended. What's "decent length" riding for you?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2013, 03:50:19 pm »

Cheers,
Gibbo.

Is that PTFE one? It's what I use and would have recommended. What's "decent length" riding for you?

Hi rafletcher - yes, it is the PTFE one. A decent length is 150km or so and I have one of those coming up on Saturday and don't want a squeaky bike  :hand: 

Cheers,
Gibbo.

« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2013, 03:55:28 pm »
Ah well, I've never had that problem with it after similar distances (though in my case not all in one go!)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2013, 05:17:46 pm »
Pro gold is also very good albeit a tad spendy
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2013, 06:35:51 pm »
I use Pedro's Ice White or Squirt all year round, keep the chain well lubed and clean. Does need reapplying every couple of hundred miles though.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2013, 06:55:35 pm »
Chains stay relatively clean with ProGold ProLink.  It might not last for a long ride in the rain, though.

Controversial:
    With your next chain, you could try NEVER thoroughly cleaning it or saturating with more lube.  The original factory grease inside should prevent squeaks for the first couple of thousand miles.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:50:54 pm »

The original factory grease inside should prevent squeaks for the first couple of thousand miles.

I have found that and the dirt only starts to stick once I feel compelled to oil it. I was even contemplating buying Shimano oil to see if that worked assuming it's the same stuff.

Will try the ProGold you mentioned, cheers.

Gibbo.

« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2013, 09:32:20 pm »
Progold seems to be the nearest to achieving a consensus, and I respect the opinions of many
folk here who like it.  It's reasonable enough if you can justify buying the 944ml bulk size. 

« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2013, 09:34:59 pm »
Chains stay relatively clean with ProGold ProLink.  It might not last for a long ride in the rain, though.

Controversial:
    With your next chain, you could try NEVER thoroughly cleaning it or saturating with more lube.  The original factory grease inside should prevent squeaks for the first couple of thousand miles.

+1 for the ProGold - tried loads of lubes, this is the one I've stuck with. The chain stays relatively clean and you can wipe the outside down after a ride quite easily.

I use KMC chains and they say about the factory grease "During manufacturing one of the processes involves lubrication, we inject special grease into the chain. Right now a part of that grease stays on the chain's outside, which is needed to conserve and protect the chain during storage.
KMC recommends you to take away the excess grease from the chain's outside by spraying some (eco) cleaner along the chain and immediately wiping it. By removing the grease outside you will prevent it from atracting too much dirt. Make sure the grease inside the chain is not affected!
Beware of keeping it a little oiled after every ride in order to prevent rust."

They also say never to use any solvent or bath arrangement for cleaning. The ProGold flushes out the crap very well and after a wipe the chain is very clean. That said, its rare that I go out in the rain so I can't vouch for it as a heavy commuting lube (although I don't see why not - its quick enough to apply, even daily).