Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 389742 times)

Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2550 on: 11 September, 2019, 05:05:52 pm »
GN: My esteemed employer is sending me on a training course! (dog knows why, but hey ho)  :-\
BN: It's a five day course, my workload won't disappear for the duration  >:(
GN: But it is in Den Bosch, which is a Rather Good Place, IME  :D
BN: But I am on a diet so no beer, poffertjes or stroopwafels  :(

BN: it took forever and lord knows how many hours to get the approvals and booking sorted
GN: But it is now, travelling from LCY
MGN: And, I have a bike hire booked,  and they will deliver it to my hotel
EMGN: And I'll be able to charge it to expenses.
So-So-N: It will be a Omafiets, as far as I can tell

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2551 on: 13 September, 2019, 06:14:30 am »
That reminds me, I'm going to Belgium in a few weeks, by Eurostar

There will be space in the suitcase for stroopwaffels and beer.

I'm staying in Geeraardsbergen, home of The Mud, think I'll! Walk it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2552 on: 13 September, 2019, 04:48:07 pm »
That reminds me, I'm going to Belgium in a few weeks, by Eurostar

There will be space in the suitcase for stroopwaffels and beer.

I'm staying in Geeraardsbergen, home of The Mud, think I'll! Walk it.
Make sure you get yourself some mattentaarts too :P
https://www.visitflanders.com/en/themes/flemish-food/flemish-dishes-and-specialities/flemish-specialities/mattentaart/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Chris S

« Reply #2553 on: 21 September, 2019, 09:09:09 pm »
Nobody actually tests a shower when they're viewing a property, do they? Well - we didn't, and today we moved in.

BN: The power shower in the en-suite sounds like a Boeing 777 on spool-up, and is deafening.
GN: You can probably see the water level dropping in the Derwent Reservoir when it's running  :thumbsup:
BN: You really need to keep the jets away from sensitive parts
GN: Free Exfoliation!

« Reply #2554 on: 21 September, 2019, 09:15:09 pm »
Nobody actually tests a shower when they're viewing a property, do they? Well - we didn't, and today we moved in.

BN: The power shower in the en-suite sounds like a Boeing 777 on spool-up, and is deafening.
GN: You can probably see the water level dropping in the Derwent Reservoir when it's running  :thumbsup:
Sounds like a result, to me.

« Reply #2555 on: 23 September, 2019, 08:43:55 am »

Oh, a pumped power shower.
They seem like a good idea, until you live with one.

There was one in a shared house I was in. We had an agreement that nobody took a shower between 11pm and 7am. It wasn't possible to sleep through the noise.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #2556 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:27:02 am »
We have a pumped rain-shower thing, it's not that noisy. You can hear it certainly, but you'd hear the shower anyway, particularly in a house where you can't close doors (because cats). The mechanism lives in the loft.

It's one of my favourite things, I could stand under it all day.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2557 on: 23 September, 2019, 01:39:30 pm »
Nobody actually tests a shower when they're viewing a property, do they?

After a year of shivering[1] under the lukewarm dribble from a carbonated-encrusted 7kW landlord-issue electric shower as a PSO, I do.

[1] Try not to gasp when you first step under it, you'll inhale the mould.

ian

« Reply #2558 on: 23 September, 2019, 02:14:16 pm »
I swear by the daily shower spray stuff – it stops the near-ubiquitous mould (and other crud) that infests shower cubicles and the like.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2559 on: 23 September, 2019, 05:21:14 pm »
I swear by the daily shower spray stuff – it stops the near-ubiquitous mould (and other crud) that infests shower cubicles and the like.

Working central heating works wonders, too.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2560 on: 25 September, 2019, 08:30:09 am »
So did I, until I realised that I was buying and throwing away 12 trigger spray plastic bottles a year. Now, if I knew what the formulation was I could mix it up in bulk and only use one trigger bottle a year - or even less maybe. Until then, I just give the shower a light spray with diluted bleach once in a while.  As well as cleaning it, obvs.

« Reply #2561 on: 25 September, 2019, 08:40:10 am »
Vinegar is good for cleaning and scale removal. Smells a bit mind. Alternatively descaler is available in larger quantities on the interwebbie.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2562 on: 25 September, 2019, 01:57:32 pm »
The best scale removal product I have found is Kilrock.

https://www.kilrock.co.uk/
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2563 on: 25 September, 2019, 06:13:43 pm »
Hi.  It's not scale remover I'm after - our water is super soft and direct from Llyn Vyrnwy.  I'm after something to break the surface tension so the soap scum drains off quickly before it dries - at least I assume that's that what the shower spray stuff is.  The stuff I was buying worked perfectly, it was the environmental damage of all those plastic bottles that I wanted to avoid.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2564 on: 25 September, 2019, 06:45:09 pm »
Sainsbury's 'multi-surface cleaner' now rebadged as All Purpose Cleaner comes in non-trigger one litre bottles. Still plastic but theoretically recyclable. Not a specific bathroom or shower cleaner either but I use the litre bottle to refill the 500ml trigger sprays in my kitchen. It might do for your shower, given the water is soft.

£1 for a one litre bottle in 'Cotton' and 'Citrus' aromas when I last looked.

rr

« Reply #2565 on: 25 September, 2019, 07:22:38 pm »
Hi.  It's not scale remover I'm after - our water is super soft and direct from Llyn Vyrnwy.  I'm after something to break the surface tension so the soap scum drains off quickly before it dries - at least I assume that's that what the shower spray stuff is.  The stuff I was buying worked perfectly, it was the environmental damage of all those plastic bottles that I wanted to avoid.
Watered down dishwasher rinse aid in a reusable spray?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2566 on: 28 September, 2019, 01:28:52 pm »
GN: It’s a lovely sunny day & I’m walking around Edinburgh.

BN: £6 for a bottle of Erdinger? You are shitting me.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2567 on: 28 September, 2019, 01:45:52 pm »
Cif are now doing tiny refills of kitchen and bathroom cleaner concentrate to make up a new spray bottle. No idea how good the bathroom stuff is for cleaning showers tho.

ian

« Reply #2568 on: 28 September, 2019, 07:46:54 pm »
So did I, until I realised that I was buying and throwing away 12 trigger spray plastic bottles a year. Now, if I knew what the formulation was I could mix it up in bulk and only use one trigger bottle a year - or even less maybe. Until then, I just give the shower a light spray with diluted bleach once in a while.  As well as cleaning it, obvs.

I know, but I do recycle them rather than throw them in the woods (I'm a bit narked that they used to do litre bottles and now it's 500ml). It's probably some kind of fungicidal surfactant (benzalkonium chloride, if I recall) solution. There's a shop in town that does bulk stuff now, you can fill your own bottles, but alas I don't think they do magic shower spray.

Surfactant is the stuff that breaks down surface tension.

I don't clean the shower, that's the cleaner's job. She always messes up the order of my fruity shower gels.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2569 on: 30 September, 2019, 03:33:56 pm »

I know, but I do recycle them rather than throw them in the woods (I'm a bit narked that they used to do litre bottles and now it's 500ml).
Even though I'm (was) a geologist, I worked in the solid waste management industry and was involved in recycling schemes in the Third World. Regrettably, in the UK, I have little confidence that if I put out a plastic item for recycling it'll actually get recycled.  It might, but only PET and PE is enthusiastically recycled here.  It might get incinerated in an Energy from Waste facility - so some of the value is recovered as energy, but it's better to use the spray bottle over and over again by refilling it - if you could get the appropriate liquid to go inside.

BN then:  Regrettably, our retail model does not want us to be as environmentally-friendly as we could be.  Bet I can't buy benzalkonium chloride (if that's what the surfactant is) by the 5 litre bottle....

EDIT:  Oh yes I can - FleaBay has lots of it.  Wonder if it's worth a punt?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2570 on: 18 November, 2019, 06:10:29 pm »
GN: Just had a shower (first time in weeks), the new tiles remained attached.

BN: The trap is leaking.  I'm going to have to get dirty again applying ham-fisted monkey force to it later.

Grumble:  The trap wouldn't have been disturbed in the first place if the tiler had followed the golden rule of working with Important Screws in the vicinity of a plughole.   :facepalm:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2571 on: 18 November, 2019, 06:19:26 pm »
Surfactant is the stuff that breaks down surface tension.

There's surfactant in bogeys.  :P
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2572 on: 18 November, 2019, 08:47:47 pm »
GN: Applied ham-fisted monkey force to the trap, and removed a hairball from the joint, which seems to have resolved the leak.

BN: Water seems to be sneaking through the gap between the tiles and the bath.  Also spotted a hairline crack in the grout, and a small missed-a-bit, in unrelated locations.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2573 on: 18 November, 2019, 09:36:07 pm »
Showers/baths. Dontcha just love 'em.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2574 on: 18 November, 2019, 10:02:59 pm »
BN: Further drips from the right-angle joint further down the waste pipe, where I can barely reach.

BN: Barakta's spotted more flaws in the grout.

BN: Shower screen isn't sealing against the bath like it used to.  Have not fully investigated.

BN: I've completely depleted my reserve of cope for sloppy unreliable optimist[1] tradespeople who don't actually want to do the job in the first place.

BN: Landlord's pet maintenance bod (who is competent, and believes in doing things properly) is unavailable for the foreseeable future.  I hope he hasn't got a serious illness or anything.

GN: I got to be clean for an hour or two?

[1] I really don't understand how natural optimism can survive working with sealant for any amount of time.  But I don't understand how extroverts can survive prolonged exposure to people, either.