Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 470649 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3050 on: 21 January, 2020, 10:30:50 pm »
No experience of such things but it would seem sensible to ask them for a familiarisation session to introduce yourself & your requirements and for them to explain & demonstrate as many of the exercises as they can in a dry environment before you get into the pool. Pools are loud, splashy, echoey places so ask for this to be done somewhere quiet.  If they are in the pool with you then it might be a case of being shown something & being asked to repeat it within _your_ limits.  The might want to touch you to position you in the correct way or correct your form,  best to discuss this beforehand as well.   Would Kim be able to accompany you for help & reassurance ?

Suggest using yourself as a reason to get some training videos made showing & explaining the exercises with subtitles ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3051 on: 21 January, 2020, 11:02:56 pm »
I've got them to book a BSL interpreter so I won't have any issue with the noise in the pool cos I won't hear any of it. I'd like familiarisation but it doesn't seem to be offered and as it's a class as part of a set I think that's included in the first session...

I may look online to see what there is too and I have someone on twitter with experience of BSL terps and hydrotherapy going to tell me how she wrangled it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3053 on: 27 January, 2020, 08:50:29 am »
Usually in the mornings my son goes off to school just after 8, meets his friends at a certain spot and walks in with them. Today, he did this as he has every morning for the last four years or so but five minutes after he'd left, I heard the front door open and the distinctive voice of one of his friends. I went to see what was happening and there they all were, all four or five of them, with this one friend (whose voice I'd heard) looking only semiconscious and as white as the walls. Turned out he'd actually passed out twice at their meeting place. I was thinking to take him to hospital, only about five minutes away, but wasn't sure if he'd make it. His mum's just picked him up and apparently it's something that's been happening for a year or so but this is the first time he's actually passed out. He said he'd been running up the hill so might be a blood pressure thing. Odd though.  :(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3054 on: 27 January, 2020, 10:31:55 am »
Could also be diabetes, although its manifestations would have been noticed pretty quickly by his parents.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3055 on: 27 January, 2020, 01:48:41 pm »
Speaking as an inveterate passer-out-er, is he sure he's not pregnant?

« Reply #3056 on: 27 January, 2020, 02:00:59 pm »
apparently it's something that's been happening for a year or so but this is the first time he's actually passed out.

You are probably aware, but that needs investigation to rule out cardiac arrhythmia as a cause. GP should be able to organise, or see:

https://www.c-r-y.org.uk/screening/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3057 on: 27 January, 2020, 02:13:34 pm »
:D Should I suggest this possibility to his parents?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3058 on: 27 January, 2020, 02:15:06 pm »
Like Sgt Pluck, I suspect a cardiac arrhythmia and feel this need urgent and thorough investigation.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3059 on: 27 January, 2020, 02:21:09 pm »
Like Sgt Pluck, I suspect a cardiac arrhythmia and feel this need urgent and thorough investigation.
Hmm, not my child so not sure how to suggest that without scaring his parents. But his mum told me the GP said he's "just prone to fainting" but is doing bloods next week. Hopefully they'll pick anything up if it's there.

« Reply #3060 on: 27 January, 2020, 02:57:42 pm »
My GP also said I was probably just prone to fainting, but sent me for further investigations, just in case. Which is even more necessary if you're a teenager than it is if you're a woman in her 30s. On the plus side, one of the recommendations was to eat more crisps, so it could be a win for him

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3061 on: 27 January, 2020, 03:10:10 pm »
Hmm, not my child so not sure how to suggest that without scaring his parents. But his mum told me the GP said he's "just prone to fainting" but is doing bloods next week. Hopefully they'll pick anything up if it's there.

Blood tests won't show trouble with the heart rhythm.

Fainting in the heat when you're standing still is one thing. Lads meeting their mates in winter is another. I would not want to alarm anyone but I do think this needs proper investigation.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3062 on: 27 January, 2020, 03:10:59 pm »
My GP also said I was probably just prone to fainting, but sent me for further investigations, just in case. Which is even more necessary if you're a teenager than it is if you're a woman in her 30s. On the plus side, one of the recommendations was to eat more crisps, so it could be a win for him
So you were told to eat more crisps because you were pregnant?  :o :)

"Just prone to fainting" sounds like code for "I don't know".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3063 on: 27 January, 2020, 03:23:04 pm »
Fainting is more commonplace in pregnancy as blood vessels dilate and blood may pool in the lower limbs.

I somewhat doubt the likelihood of pregnancy in a teenage lad.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3064 on: 27 January, 2020, 03:37:46 pm »
This reminds me of football players having sudden heart attacks on the field.  Worth agitating for an ECG.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6327574/
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Chris S

« Reply #3065 on: 27 January, 2020, 04:38:00 pm »
Passing out when you're mid-life onward and you stand up too quick is one thing; passing out when you're a teenager is likely something else entirely. I'd be getting that teen to the GP if he/she were my responsibility.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3066 on: 27 January, 2020, 04:54:55 pm »
He's not my responsibility but we would all be quite upset if anything nasty happened to him. I'll have a word with his mum (his dad's currently in North Africa, writing a book – it's what he does – which isn't the handiest place to be when a thing like this happens).

Phil W

« Reply #3067 on: 27 January, 2020, 05:51:04 pm »
Passing out when you're mid-life onward and you stand up too quick is one thing;

What causes this passing out from mid life onwards?

Chris S

« Reply #3068 on: 27 January, 2020, 05:57:01 pm »
Passing out when you're mid-life onward and you stand up too quick is one thing;

What causes this passing out from mid life onwards?

Postural Hypotension, usually. I added the mid-life part because I never noticed it until I was beyond 30s/40s.

« Reply #3069 on: 27 January, 2020, 05:58:11 pm »
Random google:-

Age. Orthostatic hypotension is common in those who are age 65 and older. Special cells (baroreceptors) near your heart and neck arteries that regulate blood pressure can slow as you age. It also may be harder for an aging heart to beat faster and compensate for drops in blood pressure.

From: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/orthostatic-hypotension/symptoms-causes/syc-20352548

The latter point makes it more common in fitter people as the time between heartbeats is longer, so there's more of a delay for the heart to pump blood back up towards the brain when you stand up quickly.

(Obviously it doesn't just kick in at 65, it'll be more prevalent the older you get.)

I haven't had it for years as I haven't been fit enough but I know I have to watch out for it once my resting heart rate approaches 40bpm.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3070 on: 27 January, 2020, 07:16:03 pm »
Hmm, not my child so not sure how to suggest that without scaring his parents.

There are benign causes, and the likelihood is that it’s one of those.

But there is no way around the need to exclude a cardiac cause. Needs an ECG to be seen by a cardiologist and maybe an echo (ultrasound) of the heart. Both quick and painless.

« Reply #3071 on: 27 January, 2020, 07:57:14 pm »
But there is no way around the need to exclude a cardiac cause. Needs an ECG to be seen by a cardiologist and maybe an echo (ultrasound) of the heart. Both quick and painless.

Yep, I had a scan thanks to CRY (https://www.c-r-y.org.uk/screening/) back when I was young enough to qualify as "young".
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3072 on: 27 January, 2020, 09:25:55 pm »
Most of my frequent syncope is postural hypotension and my RHR only has to be less than about 55 for it to kick in. Sub 50 & it gets even more regular. I'll take any other excuse as well mind - pregnancy, shock, pain, nausea...

I've been fainting since I was a child, I think I just got in the habit of it :)

Phil W

« Reply #3073 on: 28 January, 2020, 12:42:38 pm »
Interesting. 

Yeah my resting heart rate is around 48 at the moment. It gets a bit lower as I get fitter further into the year. I occassionally feel a bit light headed if I've been reclined on the sofa and get up quickly to go upstairs.  I had an ECG as part of my well 40's GP session in late 2014 which didn't reveal anything untoward. I have a home blood pressure monitor and that's shows it as 114 / 74 this week.

My father died of a heart attack (younger than I am now) so heart stuff interests me. But that was coronary thrombosis with smoking being a major factor (he was smoking 40 a day), rather than electrical faults.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3074 on: 28 January, 2020, 05:47:14 pm »
Hmm, not my child so not sure how to suggest that without scaring his parents.

There are benign causes, and the likelihood is that it’s one of those.

Apparently they're suspecting diabetes.