Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517612 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3700 on: 04 November, 2019, 12:42:41 pm »
Calling all ACME Gravel Section members.

As a precursor to the debauchery that is the ACME Annual Awards Evening, I am planning to ride the "Grit in the Oyster" which is the Kelvedon Oyster with as much (lawful) COR as I can add without straying too far off the proper route.  It has about 1/4 of the route as mixed surfaces - mainly good but the odd bit of grass track here and there.

Plan is to set off from the Railway Tavern in Kelvedon at 10am on Saturday and have a relatively leisurely ride.  The route is approximately this https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31416825 but I added an extra bit yesterday around Fingringhoe.

I am not sure if I am going to straight to the Spiritual Home after a suitable bit of refuelling - that will probably depend on whether anyone actually comes with me.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #3701 on: 04 November, 2019, 01:35:23 pm »
Ordinarily I would, but I’ve already made plans to ride a circuitous route with Bernster to the Compasses.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3702 on: 04 November, 2019, 04:47:44 pm »
New stock of ACME merchandise has arrived, including:
Mens SS summer jersey with beer & caik tax sizing - £45 each
Womens SS summer jersey - £45 each
Caps - £13 each

Roubaix long sleeve (new non-orangutan length) jerseys expected soon, hopefully before the Stansted Airport Express event on Dec 7th.

Let me know if you'd like anything from the ACME shop.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3703 on: 04 November, 2019, 05:21:52 pm »
Please can you put a cap aside for me?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3704 on: 06 November, 2019, 02:27:46 pm »
Calling all ACME Gravel Section members.

As a precursor to the debauchery that is the ACME Annual Awards Evening, I am planning to ride the "Grit in the Oyster" which is the Kelvedon Oyster with as much (lawful) COR as I can add without straying too far off the proper route.  It has about 1/4 of the route as mixed surfaces - mainly good but the odd bit of grass track here and there.

Plan is to set off from the Railway Tavern in Kelvedon at 10am on Saturday and have a relatively leisurely ride.  The route is approximately this https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31416825 but I added an extra bit yesterday around Fingringhoe.

I am not sure if I am going to straight to the Spiritual Home after a suitable bit of refuelling - that will probably depend on whether anyone actually comes with me.

Thanks for the route, it looks good ted, unfortunately I can't ride on Saturday or make the awards, although I'd very much like too of course.

I'll ride it sometime in the next couple of weeks, probably midweek.

« Reply #3705 on: 07 November, 2019, 01:51:48 pm »
Afternoon All

Many moons ago myself, OD, Oaky and Aunty Helen had a pleasant Friday evening's ride to Colchester to sample a couple of pubs and then takeaway in the Victoria Inn near North Station. Obviously it turned in to a very long, messy night and I vaguely recall eventually getting home at around 3.00am.
As I'm not readily available on Wednesdays, I am proposing a repeat of said night out on Friday 29th November. Route to be determined but starting from Witham via Layer something or other. I'd like to sample the delights of the Fat Cat and Hole in the Wall in Colchester before heading over to the Victoria for late night finish and food. Last time we were there we were able to get curries from over the road and the bar kindly laid on cutlery and possibly even a plate or two.

Any takers?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3706 on: 07 November, 2019, 02:01:44 pm »
Afternoon All

Many moons ago myself, OD, Oaky and Aunty Helen had a pleasant Friday evening's ride to Colchester to sample a couple of pubs and then takeaway in the Victoria Inn near North Station. Obviously it turned in to a very long, messy night and I vaguely recall eventually getting home at around 3.00am.
As I'm not readily available on Wednesdays, I am proposing a repeat of said night out on Friday 29th November. Route to be determined but starting from Witham via Layer something or other. I'd like to sample the delights of the Fat Cat and Hole in the Wall in Colchester before heading over to the Victoria for late night finish and food. Last time we were there we were able to get curries from over the road and the bar kindly laid on cutlery and possibly even a plate or two.

Any takers?

I would have been interested, but some of us are doing a 'Helpers' Ride' for the Stansted Airport Express 100km the following day. With 100km ECE ...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3707 on: 07 November, 2019, 03:30:09 pm »
Afternoon All

Any takers?

Ah yes, I remember it well, a fantastic night, unfortunately I'm not sure I am free on the 29th.  My abiding memory of that night, which I think was in 2013, was stopping on the A12 cyclepath for a team wee, after which I got back on one side of my bike and promptly fell off the other side.  I wasn't drunk at all, oh no!

« Reply #3708 on: 08 November, 2019, 02:17:36 pm »
Ah yes, I remember it well, a fantastic night, unfortunately I'm not sure I am free on the 29th.  My abiding memory of that night, which I think was in 2013, was stopping on the A12 cyclepath for a team wee, after which I got back on one side of my bike and promptly fell off the other side.  I wasn't drunk at all, oh no!

Was it really 2013? I remember having a couple of team wees at each end of Kelvedon. Can't recall your fall though it doesn't surprise me in the least considering the state we were in.

Might put this one on the back burner till after Christmas if most are otherwise engaged on 29th. Will add it to the 2020 bucket list.

« Reply #3709 on: 08 November, 2019, 10:17:40 pm »
For those pedaling to the Compasses tomorrow for the awards evening ... and I cant see why anyone wouldn't ... there may be a reason why you might want to arrive before 6pm. Depends how much faith you have in the weather forecast.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3710 on: 08 November, 2019, 10:31:43 pm »
Raining from 5?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3711 on: 09 November, 2019, 05:21:38 am »
Where’s ted’s write up of Wednesday evening  ???  I hope it’s absence has nothing to do with The Bard saying he felt his literary efforts were under appreciated, I can’t speak for others but they aren’t by me!

« Reply #3712 on: 09 November, 2019, 05:48:23 am »
Raining from 5?

Are you finding an excuse to get there earlier?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3713 on: 09 November, 2019, 11:22:19 am »
Where’s ted’s write up of Wednesday evening  ???  I hope it’s absence has nothing to do with The Bard saying he felt his literary efforts were under appreciated, I can’t speak for others but they aren’t by me!

Agreed, bad form to keep us hanging waiting on for the next installment, bring back the good old days of the race to see who could post the write up the quickest in the following morning...

I think he's out on his bike today, so we'll have to await a double header tomorrow of tonight and Wednesday's episodes.....  :thumbsup:

Raining from 5?

Are you finding an excuse to get there earlier?

No - I have to ride back tonight, no team car available until after 11PM and I don't think I could survive till 11PM with a 5PM start (he says having done so in the past, but knows the following day will be shocking!  :facepalm: )
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3714 on: 09 November, 2019, 04:00:59 pm »
I'm not going to be along tonight folks. I've opted to stay local as the ColVelo end of year is also on....catch you all soon have fun

« Reply #3715 on: 10 November, 2019, 03:12:07 pm »
I'm not sure if the Eastern Easy Riders have become mainstream or if the lure of a beer and sausage festival means all bets are off but, whatever the reason, we ended up at the Donkey & Buskins on Wednesday for the second week in a row.

I intercepted a Witham peloton of the Hustler, Huggy, OD and Frederick Pabst in Messing and managed to just grab the back as they sped past.

We soon linked up with Tomsk v.3.1.1 and headed to the venue.  On arrival, it was encouraging to see that a couple of our junior members (Le Jiber and the Strangler) were staying up late enough to join us and, by way of contrast, Victor Meldrew, another of our veterans, managed to cycle almost a whole mile to join in the fun.  Whilst the Tomsk unit was recharging itself at its mobile support unit, the rest of us managed to secure a large table right next to the bar.

For once the Quaffers' Committee managed to intersect on several ales.  Greene King's Heritage was highly commended but it was Leigh on Sea's Renown that took the coveted Quaffers' Choice Award.  Judging wasn't easy with our resident brewer and his apprentice trying to assist us with actual knowledge and the Strangler interrupting by asking if he could be excused to go to the toilet and trying to get involved with grown up things like beer sampling.

Aside from an unusual amount of beer discussion, we managed to hold a meeting of our media sub-committee to discuss some possible tv projects.  Apparently we were enjoying ourselves too much however leading the table next to us to complain that they were having trouble talking to each.  We did manage to whisper some further discussion about gravel rides while we endeavoured not to enjoy ourselves too much in a pub at a beer festival.

I relished the short ride home and the lack of wind.  Am I the only person that still gets momentarily shocked when I come across one of the Great War soldier silhouettes in the dark ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3716 on: 10 November, 2019, 03:30:19 pm »
That’s more like!

« Reply #3717 on: 12 November, 2019, 09:49:59 am »
"I intercepted a Witham peloton of the Hustler, Huggy, OD and Frederick Pabst in Messing and managed to just grab the back as they sped past."

I like being a brewer, but I'm not sure if that is above my status as an apprentice ???
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3718 on: 14 November, 2019, 08:32:44 am »
It was a cracking night at The Compasses last night, a few bullet points...

#1 We managed to fill a whole table with Carradices

#2 Toby’s Dad’s Carradice is way too clean and needs kicking round a pub carpark for an hour or two

#3 Jem got her Mid-Essex SR medal and a kiss off Tomsk, we all looked on enviously

#4 If you think the Beer Bitch has an attitude problem check out his line manager. It was pointed out to jibers that he reported to the Council of Elders, we may have to convene soon, things are getting out of hand

#5 jibers spent some time explaining how the C word was almost a complement where he comes from

#6 After threatening to ban dissenters we decided to let Josser sit with us in his own pub

#7 I’m ACME’s new life coach and already have 3 clients. ‘fandango (mid-life crisis), Andy C3333333 (issues wearing hats indoors), jibers (complex needs). I can heal body and soul

#8 The Beer Bitch needs a betterer uniform. We’re thinking a Hello Kitty Onesey with bows for epaulettes and a tail

#9 Jem will be our first female  wearer of The Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny, she’s almost warming to the idea. Nik’s Nic needs to extract The Pelt from his family’s welly bin where it has languished since January

#10 Going back to saddlebags we will be offering Carradice a distressing service

And that’s it!  What have I missed? 

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3719 on: 14 November, 2019, 03:38:40 pm »
#11 Shirking is the new Working, though this could be part of the Life Coach Thing ...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3720 on: 14 November, 2019, 04:16:02 pm »
#11 Shirking is the new Working, though this could be part of the Life Coach Thing ...

I shall do my best to continue shirking. We all need a life goal.

« Reply #3721 on: 21 November, 2019, 11:48:22 am »
The EER Collective somehow happened to meet in the same place again last night, despite our freewheeling style.

This week's venue was, as far as I am aware, a new one but a good one; Ye Olde Albion in Rowhedge.

As the closest person to the pub, I was, of course, the last to arrive. On arrival I was pleased to see both halves of Jemango and Leading Seaman Goldstein warming themselves by the fire.

The Albion is a proper pub with no fancy flooring or furniture and no Farrow & Ball paintwork but it was busy for the whole evening and, best of all, they have 4 real ale pumps with a constant guest ale policy.  The barman told us that they had served 484 different beers over the last 12 months.  Last night they had 6 different beers on just during the time we were there.  They also arranged bike storage for us in their side alley.  It is a fine winter bolthole for the EER Collective (Goldstein would prefer something a bit closer to Serial Killer Hall but he'll manage) and would be a perfect spot for some riverside beers in the spring.

The ad hoc committee (I had to co-opt Jemango to avoid any potential issues with our child protection policies if Goldstein was involved) sampled Jenny Morgan by Green Jack, Crafty One by Crafty and Benchmark by Bedlam and members also went off piste with White Adder by Mauldons.  Jenny Morgan was the clear winner of the Quaffers' Choice, we even had another one just to make sure.

We discussed the rugby, whether Goldstein is really Welsh or just adopting an accent to seem exotic and the correct torque for chainring bolts (where is Hotblack with his slide projector and laser pen when you need him ?). 

Having despatched Goldstein a bit earlier for his train assist, I watched from behind as the speeding steeds of Jemango disappeared up Rectory Road before turning into the wind for home.  As I struggled my way offshore, I consoled myself with the thought that EER had saved me from 2.5 hours of headwind back from Dunmow.  Beating the streetlights works for me at this time of year.

« Reply #3722 on: 02 December, 2019, 02:20:12 pm »
Calling all ACME gravel riders.

I have been trying to find some suitable COR along the Stansted Airport Express Route for Saturday.

See https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31546688.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions and does anyone fancy this for Saturday ?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3723 on: 02 December, 2019, 02:47:41 pm »
^ I'm familiar with some of those tracks - Green & Dagnet's Lane I rode [on fixed, with front panniers], with OD [well laden] and Jibers [also on fixed] last Wednesday, those round Pleshey are firm underneath and may be ok. The Chickney byway was decent gravel last time I rode it some years ago, with just one rutted section - depends if the 4x4s have got to it again since then. The bridleway from Bardfield to Saling can be very muddy, but has the long ford on the back road from Shalford Green to wash all the crud off! Cutting through Notley Country Park is usually ok, just the short muddy path up to the bridge over the A120.

Does the 'spoons have an outside tap for a hose?

« Reply #3724 on: 02 December, 2019, 04:52:59 pm »
I would have been up for an adventure, but I’m helping rather than riding this Saturday.

Kelvedon Oyster is obviously going to have COR options. Sounds like we should explore the potential for Knights Templar to have some off-roady alternative routing too.