Author Topic: Music that reduces you to a blubbering wreck  (Read 34072 times)

Re: Music that reduces you to a blubbering wreck
« Reply #25 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:03:52 pm »
The Miles Davis version of Concierto de Aranjuez.  Gets me every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rSQVRTG0sQ

Good call, Kim.
Heart-stopping.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:22:09 pm »
Anything by Jedward.
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

« Reply #27 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:53:10 pm »
The Christina Aguilera 'Hurt' - well, I'm wearing sunglasses all day after listening to that.

I would always have chosen this song (a totally different song to the NIN/Cash "Hurt") because I heard a rumour that she wrote it to her dead father (died after an argument with her).  If this was actually true then it would have been the saddest song ever written and sung (she has an epic voice).

However, it was written by someone else, the rumours were untrue, so it sort of lessened the impact.

However it's still a 9/10 for a tear-jerking song, sung by one of the great pop voices.

I would imagine it's almost impossible to listen to if you recently lost your father.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wwCykGDEp7M&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/wwCykGDEp7M&rel=1</a>

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #28 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:43:49 pm »

The drugs don't work, by whoever did that

It's by The Verve, and I agree, it's a pretty sad song. Richard Ashcroft wrote it after the death of his father.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #29 on: 04 February, 2012, 08:03:19 pm »
Apologies for straying from the spirit of this thread...but bloody Hell Baggers you are ertainly into some quality stuff.

And yes, I did find it moving, even though I wasn't entirely familiar with all of it.

« Reply #30 on: 04 February, 2012, 08:26:41 pm »
No music has ever made me cry of itself, probably because of my unsatisfactory upbringing, but certain things bring a lump to my throat and I can get myself to be tearful if I think of certain things while listening to them.  A prime example would be Litanei auf das Fest aller Seelen* by Schubert, especially the version by Janet Baker.  Mon Coeur S'Ouvre A Ta Voix (Saint-Saens) sung by Maria Callas (practically anything sung by Callas is devastating to me), whilst in another genre, Go Leave by Kate McGarrigle and Flowers and Wine by Pete Atkin (lyrics by Clive James) are very moving, if the last is a bit studenty.

*Try typing this into youtube to see a very moving montage about The Troubles.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #31 on: 04 February, 2012, 08:44:15 pm »
No music has ever made me cry of itself,

same here

« Reply #32 on: 04 February, 2012, 09:57:30 pm »
The clip of Myfannwy made me feel homesick.  That's rare for me, it was more the pictures than the music.

I've always loved the final chorus of the Matthew Passion.  I might have it at my funeral, not that I'm planning it or anything.

The Mendelsohn fiddle concerto reduced me to a blubbering wreck more than once, but I was a lad and was struggling to learn it.  I still can't listen to it without very mixed feelings, but again, nothing to do with the music itself.

« Reply #33 on: 04 February, 2012, 11:00:17 pm »
The avatar is beginning to make sense!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #34 on: 05 February, 2012, 12:30:23 am »
Deliberately without readin the thread...

Eric Bogle, Too many times. And the Band Played..., No Man's Land, Reason For It All. Singing the Spirit Home,  all of them have left me wet and weeping.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #35 on: 05 February, 2012, 12:24:16 pm »
I could probably list loads - but that just may be me at the mo. Here's a few though:

Roy Harper - When a old cricketer leaves the crease
Alban Berg - Wozzeck
Judie Tzuke - Stay with me till dawn
Matching Mole - Oh Caroline

There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #36 on: 05 February, 2012, 02:35:02 pm »

Eric Bogle, Too many times. And the Band Played..., No Man's Land, Reason For It All. Singing the Spirit Home,  all of them have left me wet and weeping.

I'm sorry to hear that, Steph.  I haven't seen Eric for a while but I always thought he was not such a bad singer!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #37 on: 05 February, 2012, 02:45:13 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that, Steph.  I haven't seen Eric for a while but I always thought he was not such a bad singer!

Sod!  ;D ;D ;D
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #38 on: 05 February, 2012, 03:12:52 pm »
A Radio 1 live version of the Cocteau Twins' "Blue Beard" did it for me, explosively, but only when listening on headphones to keep it a private experence, and with the volume turned up to 11 to make the singer's emotion and the guitarist's melody pummel into me, as Liz forces her heart out through her mouth, with uncontrolled gutteral noises between the lines.  "Blubbering wreck" is no exaggeration of my state.

The lyrics are too embarrassing in their simpleness and frankness to play through loudspeakers that other people may hear - "Are you the right man for me? Are you safe? Are you my friend? Or are you toxic for me?" - yet are powerful when just taking them in directly from her to me.  Liz sounds as if she's having an emotional breakdown herself.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #39 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:33:16 pm »
I'm sure Swindon: The Opera would reduce to me to tears. Especially if I'd ended up living there.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #40 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:38:35 pm »
It's rare that music stirs that kind of emotion in me, if I'm miserable I don't tend to listen to music, although, being a musician by trade I am likely to play it. I mainly listen to music if I'm feeling full of myself or, shall we say...lustful.

Some tunes that do make me a little more inward looking and melancholy are Finzi's Five Bagatelles and Clarinet Concerto, Irish traditional Siull a Ruin, most of Eliza Carthy's Angels & Cigarettes, some Darren Hayes/Savage Garden, Stereophonics -Maybe Tomorrow, all kinds of mainly rock stuff is likely to make me go a bit strange if I'm in a certain mood but I'm no great lover of ballads.

It's not down to melancholy or bad moods: it's sheer emotion. I don't think it's something I can conjour up, either. It's when the right piece of music catches me unawares.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #41 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:58:05 pm »
Yeah, merely sad music may moisten the eye, but that isn't the same as blubbering wreckage.  It only rarely happens to me.  The example I gave above is actually very upbeat in terms of melody and rhythm.  It's basically just a catchy pop song, but with a load of power (when you're tuned into it).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #42 on: 05 February, 2012, 11:31:21 pm »
I'd agree with mant already mentioned, so I'd just like 'Comfortably Numb' and 'Wish you were here'.
But a song that never fails even to this day is ... 2 little boys by Rolf Harris.

« Reply #43 on: 06 February, 2012, 02:44:29 pm »
At least no ones mentioned Old Shep.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #44 on: 06 February, 2012, 03:04:38 pm »
Steve Earle,  "Johnny come lately" for the sentiment in the final verse.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #45 on: 06 February, 2012, 03:22:56 pm »
Elgar's cello concerto.

<sniff>
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #46 on: 06 February, 2012, 06:14:57 pm »
On the Concierto de Aranjuez front, I give my vote to the Brassed Off version:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/C8uoY9e5YVY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/C8uoY9e5YVY&rel=1</a>

But then Brass Bands do tend to have an effect on me, and anything played by the Sally Army will have me swallowing hard.

Otherwise, I don't think I reliably cry at many things, but Elgar's Cello, The Lark Ascending and Vaughn Williams' Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis all stand a chance. Actually, a lot of Vaughn Williams. It's something about the soaring high notes, that makes me think of being on top of an English hill, lying on close cropped grass, in the sun, but with that particular chill wind you often get.

Oh, I'm off now....

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #47 on: 06 February, 2012, 06:18:45 pm »
Elgar's cello concerto.

<sniff>

Especially if played by Jacqueline du Pré.

« Reply #48 on: 06 February, 2012, 06:23:20 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eo7qT99zTEE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eo7qT99zTEE&rel=1</a>

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #49 on: 06 February, 2012, 06:26:40 pm »
Oh yes... (reaches for hanky).

Edit: No roger, not for that reason.