Author Topic: Strange Combinations of Food that Actually Don't Taste Too Bad  (Read 14384 times)

bobajobrob

Re: Strange Combinations of Food that Actually Don't Taste Too Bad
« Reply #50 on: 29 April, 2008, 12:06:08 pm »
Americans think that Ice-Cream on Root Beer (Root Beer Float) doesn't actually taste bad.

I took my American colleagues slightly by surprise when I immediately gobbed my first mouthful out onto the pavement (where it belongs).

Most of the root beer you find over here tastes like very sweet mouthwash. Perhaps there's better stuff, but I'm not a huge fan either.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #51 on: 13 July, 2008, 04:47:06 pm »
Grilled salmon with lemon & ginger on a bed of aloo bargi (potato stir fry). Yumm. Just waiting for the bargi to get done before I tuck in.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

fiendish

• Yummy!
« Reply #52 on: 13 July, 2008, 08:27:04 pm »
Marmite on toast with a banana mashed on top.

goatpebble

« Reply #53 on: 14 July, 2008, 07:28:18 pm »
An apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze.  :D

Was it Kipling who said something or other about eggs without salt and pepper being like "a kiss without a moustache" ?

Or have I got that seriously wrong. I mean, what on earth does that say about dear old Rudyard?

edit: mind you, he seemed to have a lot of respect for those Patan types, and we all know what they get up to...

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #54 on: 14 July, 2008, 10:27:01 pm »
Pancakes with bacon and maple syrup
Cheese and Pataks hot mango (or lime) pickle sandwiches
Christmas pudding and Stilton

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 15 July, 2008, 04:47:38 am »
When Little Cudzo was something like 4 months old and just starting to eat solids, I was feeding him a banana one day when he started gesturing excitedly at something green on the table. It was dill, so I gave him some and he wanted more. He ate alternate mouthfuls of banana and dill. I tried it too and it's surprisingly good.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #56 on: 15 July, 2008, 12:44:31 pm »
I once mistook a jug full of chocolate sauce for gravy. It did not improve the mange tout.

One memorable morning I thought the vending machine had done it's usual and given me milk without the coffe. I stirred in some coffee granules.  I cannot recommend Chicken soup with coffee.  :sick:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

goatpebble

« Reply #57 on: 16 July, 2008, 08:02:42 pm »
Strange combinations often form the basis of some well accepted pairings. Think of the oiliness of mackerel balanced with the acidity of gooseberries. Conversely the same fish where the oily richness is built upon, with a stuffing of nuts and spices(Turkey).

The best and most timeless oddities have, however, an elegance and logic that means their status almost seems inevitable. A useful principal to remember.

« Reply #58 on: 16 July, 2008, 09:07:43 pm »
Crème Brulée and Leffe Blonde.

Beer doesn't normally go with sweet stuff, but this rather bizarrely does work amazingly well. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #59 on: 16 July, 2008, 09:16:09 pm »
Marmite and marmalade on toast.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #60 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:01:14 pm »

I love chocolate with chilli

Mole (sauce) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The jars used by the makers of Bisto Best gravy powder and of Kenco instant coffee can look very similar to a bleary-eyed early morning caffeine seeker.  It's a mistake I don't intend making again.

My wife was once making a pumpkin pie, and shook in a good strong measure of powdered ginger from an unmarked jar in the spice cabinet. When we tasted the pie, it tasted very wrong. But our dinner guest loved it, and had more than one slice.

It wasn't until some time later that I held out an unmarked jar, asked my wife "is this the ginger you used?" (it was), and told her that it was in fact garlic powder.

A lot of people still don't believe that  ham-and-pineapple pizzas are good.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

bobajobrob

« Reply #61 on: 19 July, 2008, 03:39:57 pm »

I love chocolate with chilli

Mole (sauce) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not a huge fan of the brown stuff (Mole Poblano - find it a bit sickly) but green Mole is the shiznitz. Needs to be eaten with proper fresh corn tortillas :thumbsup: Having said that, I do like the Mexican drinking chocolate that comes in a round shape divided into segments.

CathH

« Reply #62 on: 19 July, 2008, 05:37:12 pm »
Fruit with just about any kind of meat.  I was not brought up on this taste combination, but it seems so natural.  Maple syrup with really good dense pork sausages.... mmmmmm.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #63 on: 30 July, 2008, 09:30:43 am »
Had this one yesterday at a restaurant that serves an Indian interpretation of Italian food.

Garlic bread, where the "bread" element was actually a currant bun.

The garlic seemed a bit missing too.

My son seemed to think it was the highlight of the meal!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #64 on: 30 July, 2008, 09:36:56 am »
One thing I remember making which tasted disgusting was a 3 bean chilli (in my veggie days), after placing all the ingredients in the chili, I tasted it to find that it was lacking a certain something, so I metally ran through the ingredients I had put in the pot.  I eventually came to the conclusion I had missed out the chili, so reached into the spice cupboard, brought out a pot with a label saying chili powder on it, and placed a good tablespoon of said powder in the pot.

It started smelling WRONG, I tasted it and found it to be foul.  I check the pot and found that I had used the pot labeled chili to store a bag of ground cloves I had bought a week early to add to the cider that was fermetning away in the corner....

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

bobajobrob

« Reply #65 on: 14 September, 2008, 10:12:48 pm »
Egg sandwiches with red pesto. I ran out of brown sauce. Seems pretty good to me :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #66 on: 14 September, 2008, 10:14:51 pm »
Has anyone mentioned Marmite Doughnuts yet? You know, regular Jam Doughnut - but Marmite in the middle instead of jam?