Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 222138 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #775 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:08:01 am »
Actually, I think the correct advice is "Carry on worrying, but keep that worry at the normal levels."

Or, in the immortal words of Corporal Jones, "Don't panic!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

red marley

« Reply #776 on: 22 October, 2015, 05:38:18 am »
Day 294 / 75: A steady day for Kurt with one Godwin covered and a tussle with the dozies. Steve is back on the Godwin+ distances with a 210 mile loop via Thetford Forest, matching Tommy's distance for the day in 1939. Miles does 174 miles riding from the north back towards Melbourne.

red marley

« Reply #777 on: 23 October, 2015, 05:52:51 am »
Day 295 / 76: 219 miles for Kurt as he follows a similar pattern to recent days – ride out east in the morning followed by a drafternoon with local riders and an evening riding with Alicia. No leg grumblings from Steve has he does a fenland loop with some helpful wind assistance for a day's total of 211 miles. Miles does more riding between Seymour and Melbourne with some night riding accumulating 207 miles, of which 129 were within the 24 hours of 22nd of October.

red marley

« Reply #778 on: 24 October, 2015, 06:33:57 am »
Day 296 / 77: Kurt has an eventful 219 miles as he rides north to Jonesboro. Three flat tyres, an off on wet roads, someone throwing something at him and a stretch along a hard shoulder-free highway in fast traffic. But you don't get to this point in the OYTT without being resilient to such things. Steve makes good progress on another Thetford Forest round until the dozies strike late in the day when he takes a rest before finishing after midnight. All in for 210 miles leaving him 74 miles behind Tommy's WR pace. Miles completes his night ride back to Melbourne than starts on the bay for 111 miles in this 24 hour period.

red marley

« Reply #779 on: 24 October, 2015, 06:39:06 am »
I'm off to Chicago for a week where among other things I will be presenting work on the OYTT, public bike hire art and visualizing LEL and PBP. So expect a little disruption to these daily reports.

red marley

« Reply #780 on: 25 October, 2015, 01:33:36 am »
Day 297 / 78: Kurt, feeling bruised and tired after yesterday's crash and unmotivated by Arkansas wind and rain, keeps it short at 165 miles. This leaves him around 575 miles above Tommy's WR pace. Steve has a late start after the previous night's late finish, but zips round the fens for 213 miles. Miles rides the bay roads at night giving him 107 miles within the 24 hours.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #781 on: 25 October, 2015, 06:09:03 am »
Day 297 / 78: Kurt, feeling bruised and tired after yesterday's crash and unmotivated by Arkansas wind and rain, keeps it short at 165 miles.

I find this time of year the hardest for motivation.  It's not that the weather is worse now than it will be in January and February but that it is  a lot worse than in has been in August and September.  Says he, tired after working too hard for two months and expecting a kicking on the club run today. 

Keep up the good work, Jo.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #782 on: 25 October, 2015, 02:30:57 pm »
Enjoy Chicago Jo and thanks for all your work - your post is my first internet fix of each day.

Once again thanks
Old fat and slow

red marley

« Reply #783 on: 26 October, 2015, 03:20:32 am »
Day 298 / 79: Kurt continues his long dark days of the soul as he struggles with rain, wind and cold while riding south from Little Rock. He manages 156 miles, leaving him around 520 miles above Tommy's record pace. After a bonus hour of sleep thanks to the end of British Summer Time, Steve is back on form with a cool (veering to chilly in the evening) 220 mile fenland visit. Miles surfs a northerly tailwind by riding from Seymour to just north of Melbourne three times in 24 hours leaving him with a day's total of 182 miles.

« Reply #784 on: 26 October, 2015, 10:50:16 am »
Thanks for the continuing excellent visualisations, Jo!  :thumbsup:

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #785 on: 26 October, 2015, 11:44:48 am »
The visualisations, but also the summary accounts of each rider's day are captivating.

We shall all miss these I'm sure!
Embrace your inner Fred.

red marley

« Reply #786 on: 27 October, 2015, 03:14:32 am »
Day 299 / 80: October 26th 1939 was the day that Tommy Godwin took Ossie Nicholson's previous world record having accumulated 62,746 miles. Today, Kurt, starting 9 days behind, has ridden 60,131 miles. Steve, 52,124 miles. They should both overtake Ossie's total before the year is out. Whether either or both will take Tommy's record remains to be seen, and unlike Tommy, probably not to be decided until week 50 of their challenges.

Today Kurt faces more rain and so cuts short his evening riding for a total of 170 miles. Steve, who has found his autumn legs, rides through fenland winds to add 216 miles to his total. Miles, riding between Melbourne and Seymour to the north completes 153 miles.

« Reply #787 on: 27 October, 2015, 07:55:46 am »
It's interesting looking at the big picture chart again, in the context of where we now are.

What I now find most striking is that, while we know that Tommy put in massive mileages in June and July with team support, the distances he was doing into September and October, when he would have been riding on his own (what date did the pacing stop?), were still huge - far more than either Kurt or Steve has consistently managed. 

Kurt has the advantage of having Tommy's mark to aim for but extrapolating the trend of his last couple of months suggests that, given shortening days and worsening weather, it is by no means in the bag for him.

Steve looks like he has got his strategy sorted out with a very solid two and a half months.  Slightly below what he did for a similar period in the Summer but, we hope, at a level that he can sustain.  Ironic that, after all the concern about Kurt copying Steve's strategy, it has ended up being the other way round!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #788 on: 27 October, 2015, 10:52:13 am »
I don't think that anyone is copying anyone else's strategy. Kurt certainly gave that impression early on, but ten months in this has become a battle for survival. I think it was a conversation reported by Alicia in which the analogy of clinging to the side of the mountain was used. I think that sums it up well, but there is also an element of upstream canoeing involved. The moment you stop rowing you end up further back than where you started.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #789 on: 27 October, 2015, 11:29:46 am »
I agree - there is no strategy involved here.   You have to get 206 miles or over on day one then do that every day.   If you fall short then you have to do a longer ride for how ever many days it takes to wipe out that loss.  If your lucky then you will beat the record with a week or two left and then you get to set your winning margin in that period

Its a survival exercise, with a large element of self harm involved.

The really telling thing from that most recent graph is that an innocuous injury within the last 2 weeks, or a very bad spell of weather, or another unforeseen problem could be the difference between beating the record or not.   It could yet come down to a time trial effort on the last week or days!

red marley

« Reply #790 on: 28 October, 2015, 03:53:43 am »
Day 300 / 81: Kurt endures another day of rain and cooler temperatures than he'd like but has the company of several riders throughout the 36 repeats of the Little Rock 'hamster wheel' trail for a total of 187 miles. While he's slipping a little towards the WR line, he is still 470 miles above it, so can afford a few more days like this if he needs to. Steve, in better spirits manages an Essex-Suffolk-Cambridgeshire loop of 217 miles, putting him just 31 miles behind WR pace. At the rate of recent progress, he will hit the WR line before the weekend. Miles heads out on a rare trip west of Melbourne for a total of 154 miles.

red marley

« Reply #791 on: 29 October, 2015, 03:16:51 am »
Day 301 / 82: Kurt finds his mojo, knocking out 220 miles with a boost from some company on the way. Steve feels better but a little shorter than he anticipated in his loop around Ely for 202 miles. Thus puts him around 34 miles short of WR pace. Miles take the train north and rides south back to Melbourne for 124 miles. He is now over 9,000 miles behind record pace.

red marley

« Reply #792 on: 30 October, 2015, 02:52:30 am »
Day 302 / 83: Alicia reports that Kurt had been close to throwing the towel in at several points in the last week, but now seems to have surfaced from that dark place to add another 221 miles to his total. Steve also on good form, edges to within 30 miles of the WR line with a 216 mile day. Miles is back on bay road detail riding for 127 miles.

« Reply #793 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:39:40 am »
Probably the result of being reminded the book sales will make it all worth while.

« Reply #794 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:50:04 am »
Jo, just wanted to say that your one paragraph summaries for each day are terrific. Brief yet really give a feeling of how each rider is doing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #795 on: 30 October, 2015, 03:10:37 pm »
Jo, just wanted to say that your one paragraph summaries for each day are terrific. Brief yet really give a feeling of how each rider is doing.

+1

:thumbsup:

« Reply #796 on: 30 October, 2015, 03:43:47 pm »
Yup, couldn't do without these summaries to keep up!  Thanks so much Jo
Does not play well with others

« Reply #797 on: 30 October, 2015, 05:07:28 pm »
And a large vote of thanks from also. In fact I'll even buy you a beer!*

*assuming we ever meet and assuming you like beer and assuming you're old enough to drink.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

red marley

« Reply #798 on: 31 October, 2015, 11:14:30 am »
Day 303 / 84: With only one day more of riding in Little Rock before Kurt migrates south, he completes 209 miles on his local roads. Steve has a demanding day of headwind, some "tummy troubles" and traffic holdups but completing an Essex/Cambridgeshire Godwin nonetheless. Miles sees 151 miles of bay action.

red marley

« Reply #799 on: 31 October, 2015, 12:54:53 pm »
Flying back from Chicago tonight, so there will be a delay before Saturday's graphic.

And in a very tenuous link to visualizing the OYTT, this was what I have been doing in the Windy City...

We Become the City