Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2957768 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #20775 on: 27 December, 2017, 04:27:05 pm »
I really want to be in sympathy with the RMT and their current industrial action but they haven't managed to get the message out terribly well as to to what their issues are.
Apparently, Cross Country trains are fecked up today (and, incidentally, the offspring's northern journey on the 23rd) due to industrial action on 'rostering'.

WTF does that mean? Aside, of course, from the fact that half the trains are cancelled, no trains are leaving Birmingham after 5pm (that might be due to engineering works, not really very clear) and the idiot person of indeterminate gender in the ticket office at Darlington told me that No2Daughter should take the train an hour earlier than her cancelled one, as she would still meet her connection in Cheltenham. NOT IF THE FECKING TRAIN TERMINATES AT NEW STREET, YOU FUCKING COCKWOMBLE.

This Christmas we drove to Leeds to collect them, as they couldn't get further North than Doncaster. Her dad will be paying £90 for a taxi from Brum to Cirencester.

Disruption is fine. But tell me what your fucking problem is, and then I can be supportive. And tell us what our fucking options are, and we'll sort it. Don't put her on a fucking train to goddamn MORDOR with no means of escape.

FUCKERS.

O, and bring back British Rail. At least if it were all under one roof it would be less likely to be a steaming pile of turds.

Chris S

« Reply #20776 on: 27 December, 2017, 10:58:52 pm »
We're already in the third world, in some respects. Brexit will make it much worse. Yay!

« Reply #20777 on: 02 January, 2018, 01:25:44 pm »
Fucking websites that will not let you browse if you have an adblocker on.

Well, fuck you!   >:(

ian

« Reply #20778 on: 02 January, 2018, 01:27:30 pm »
How would like them to finance themselves?

« Reply #20779 on: 02 January, 2018, 01:32:08 pm »
By selling products and services perhaps?

ian

« Reply #20780 on: 02 January, 2018, 01:35:46 pm »
If you're a newspaper or similar, that doesn't seem to work too well.

No one likes adverts. But they like free information.

« Reply #20781 on: 02 January, 2018, 01:42:21 pm »
It was a retailer and it apparently sells something I am interested in buying but I'm not going to disable my ad blocker just for that.   There are plenty of competitors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20782 on: 02 January, 2018, 01:45:45 pm »
It's a tricky balance where a site is quite reasonably run on advertising revenue, but the advertising risks making the site excessively annoying or even outright inaccessible.

Presumably they've done enough split-testing to work out exactly how much spam the average reader will tolerate...

I wonder if there's any milage in an automated micropayments system whereby a site's owner is automacigally credited for every hit from a browser running an appropriate plugin.  It's the sort of thing that some people might go for in order to ethically avoid being advertised at.  Of course, if it gained any traction, it would probably be bought up by bloody Facebook.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #20783 on: 02 January, 2018, 02:14:26 pm »
If a site blocks my accessibility readability plugin as an ad blocker (which it has to be to stop moving shite jiggling around everywhere) I don't read it.

If sites didn't allow malware in their advertising I might be more inclined to "tolerate" some ads, but many sites increasingly take the piss and it's 6+ moving jumping elementy bolloxy things making so much visual and auditory noise I can't see or access the content for the noise...

I refuse to feel guilty for managing my own access needs and keeping my computer malware free.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #20784 on: 02 January, 2018, 04:12:09 pm »
I've calmly endured some truly impressive crap over the last year, but reading the last few posts summons  troubling, pink tinged mist obscured glimpses of a beserking that can't possibly have happened...

How successful is the Independent's venture into a solely on-line existence proving?

Because I find it hard to believe that their core readership could have endured what I perceived as a drop in the quality of the reporting and editorial content after the move away from print.

And that's before I consider the fact that between banners, adverts and side bars it was quite common to not even be able to read an entire line of text before having to scroll to find the rest of the sentence. I mean, how is the 'paper' serving its supposed purpose if you can only read 'substantive' reporting and opinion half a sentence at a fucking time? Half a fucking sentence before scrolling sideways, or down, or fucking both. Nnnghh. Here I am trying to keep my bubble expanded and the cruel price is that - by reading widely and therefore living with the consequences that sully my future suggested reading lists; gritting my teeth at the prospect that to find out if that obnoxious arsehole really meant what it seems they said, that those fools really believe the evil that is being spouted, that maybe, maybe someone has a valid point - then with each little click the arseholes are being minusculely rewarded. That irritates me somewhat. Actually that irritates me quite a fucking-lot-fucking-what. And then, then the innocuous, insipid, Independent makes reading the most neutrally phrased reportage such a fucking chore it would be hard to think of a way that they could turn people off from the bare facts any fucking quicker. Oh wait, there is, and they did. How about making the banners; the sidebars; the ads in the middle of the text; the unnecessarily illustrated teasers to other, totally unrelated, inane 'reporting' - wait for it - update constantly! while you browse! Then the tiny little sliver of text, that barely consequential item of interest is surrounded by a sea of flashing, attention seeking colour that metaphorically kicks your eyeballs right in the pupil every time your fact starved brain thinks it might, just might, get to read a fucking verb, but no it has to go off to swipe, or scroll, or axe something to death in the head.

Breathe.

I'm probably making this sound worse than it is. Well, let's face it, I am making it sound worse because, guess what? It is worse! So much very fucking worse. Every shitty picture, banner, ad, gaudy bauble of net optimised capitalism is resizable. Fucking resizable! Hahhhhaahhahaha A-ha. So nothing, nothing stays in the same place for more than five seconds! Which is just... not rage inducing. Beyond that now, this is enabling. Almost allows for the attainment of a transcendent state. It's like you can taste the blod. So, nothing, nothing stays in the same place. Especially not the meagre collection of words, lopped from the body of their text. They're bobbing about in a bloody sea of html and burning applets. And there comes the genius, it can't be anything but. It is inconceivable that this whole edifice has been constructed for anything other than for us to offer up the sacrifice of our personal digital devices, inhale the toxic fumes rising from their smashed screens and gnaw upon the sundered rubberised keys of our Bluetooth accessories after being mesmerised into an unquenchable, justified, wordless fury by the following:

not only does the pathetic collection of words move around the screen, the composition of the visible text changes each time.

Each time a banner resizes a different section of the article is displayed.

Your perception of time is changed.

You have memories of battle that are not your own.

They will guide you.

Og så begynder modene...

I don't read the Independent now. Aside from my own issues I hear it is now a nest of btl trolls feathered with clickbait. I don't think I should go look.

A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #20785 on: 02 January, 2018, 04:19:49 pm »
I gave up on The Independent a long time ago, and after sticking with the I for a while, have given up on that. I now read the good Dr's Grund when I can be bothered with that, and as long as you factor in it's leftward lean, the news tends to be reasonably reliable.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20786 on: 02 January, 2018, 04:23:01 pm »
When the nice person does headlines summary on "Today" on Her Majesty's BBC Radio 4, I still have to think hard and remind myself that they mean the newspaper formerly known as The Independent, rather than Lord Gnome's organ when they say "and in The i"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #20787 on: 02 January, 2018, 05:37:20 pm »
I gave up on the independent on my tablet a long while ago for most of those reasons. I now stick to the Graun online.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #20788 on: 02 January, 2018, 06:12:28 pm »
Well, I guess you get what you (don't) pay for. I subscribed to the daily edition which doesn't have any ads or any of the other problems described. I occasionally read the Guardian but find it as depressing a read as it ever was, and so relentlessly left-wing. The Independent has regressed from what it was, but worth supporting in my view because, along with the BBC, it's the nearest we get to unbiased (or unfaked) news these days.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #20789 on: 02 January, 2018, 06:18:45 pm »
If sites didn't allow malware in their advertising I might be more inclined to "tolerate" some ads
Great big truckloads of THIS.
My security comes first.  Ad networks don't care, ad supported sites damn well should make them care.  The only site I know of attempting anything is road.cc who allow you to report annoying, malicious etc ads.  But that is fixing the problem after the event.
Until ad networks are held accountable for what they deliver and clean up their act my blockers remain set to kill.

By the way, top rant Ben :thumbsup:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20790 on: 02 January, 2018, 06:56:25 pm »
I don't read the Independent much because a lot of its reporting is, well, nowhere near as good as it once was. But I hadn't noticed any of these banner etc problems because, guess what, ad blocker.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #20791 on: 02 January, 2018, 07:06:42 pm »
The truth is that if we don't pay for proper journalism, then it's adverts and a race to the bottom of the press-release pile, or fake stories made up to suit someone's agenda and we know where that takes us. Editorial content, of course, shifts to bring in the advertisers, either directly or indirectly via 'clickbait' op-ed pieces. Readers are nothing more than the sum of their clicks.

That said, sites often lose the plot. Autoplay videos and sound, ads the grab the screen and force you to try and find the every smaller 'x' to close them. Stories atomized into lonely sentences by advert after clamouring advert. While it seems self-defeating, it follows the paradigm of US TV, where people accept 22 minutes of adverts in every hour of television.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #20792 on: 02 January, 2018, 07:17:18 pm »
When the nice person does headlines summary on "Today" on Her Majesty's BBC Radio 4, I still have to think hard and remind myself that they mean the newspaper formerly known as The Independent, rather than Lord Gnome's organ when they say "and in The i"

Actually,  the i is no longer anything to do with the Independent.   They sold the title when the Independent went on line only.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #20793 on: 02 January, 2018, 09:39:13 pm »
My response to adblocker detection has alternate forks.

If it is a site I genuinely am interested in and visit for what it is, rather than being on the end of a link, I will whitelist. That is a VERY small subset.

Next fork is if I want to continue reading, I'll copy and paste the URL into a non-Java browser (I use k-meleon configured without anything for the purpose)

Next fork, if the content is no longer visible I will consider again whether to whitelist (none has yet made we do so)

And if that doesn't work? they can fork right off.

I recently became a paid subscriber to the Graun on the basis that they are one of the last serious news organisations and worth preserving, whatever you think of their perspective.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20794 on: 03 January, 2018, 09:16:28 am »
Seriously considering a Graun sub.  I took one out to the NYT 'cos of their anti-Trump actions but I find the constant battering of Trump news so depressing I don't take that much advantage of it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #20795 on: 03 January, 2018, 09:25:48 am »
Seriously considering a Graun sub.  I took one out to the NYT 'cos of their anti-Trump actions but I find the constant battering of Trump news so depressing I don't take that much advantage of it.
Isn't constant battering of Trump news what we used to call the truth?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #20796 on: 03 January, 2018, 10:10:26 am »
My response to adblocker detection has alternate forks.

If it is a site I genuinely am interested in and visit for what it is, rather than being on the end of a link, I will whitelist. That is a VERY small subset.

Next fork is if I want to continue reading, I'll copy and paste the URL into a non-Java browser (I use k-meleon configured without anything for the purpose)

Next fork, if the content is no longer visible I will consider again whether to whitelist (none has yet made we do so)

And if that doesn't work? they can fork right off.

I recently became a paid subscriber to the Graun on the basis that they are one of the last serious news organisations and worth preserving, whatever you think of their perspective.

I do much the same, though I suspect I'm slightly more lenient. If it's a site I value and the adverts don't annoy, I'll whitelist. If not, I won't. I block Flash and Java anyway, my processing cycles are too precious for that.

Anyway, I wasn't criticising people's choices, just pointing out that these things have to be funded somehow. Another of those modern day contradictions, many people expect things for free, but equally, expect to be paid for their own effort.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20797 on: 03 January, 2018, 10:30:56 am »
Isn't constant battering of Trump news what we used to call the truth?

You read it the wrong way.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #20798 on: 03 January, 2018, 11:21:33 am »

The trouble with the NYT is that for all the good reporting that they have done, they regularly channel Walter Duranty and attempt to normalise Trump.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #20799 on: 04 January, 2018, 10:23:53 pm »
Good to see that English mustard will now be manufactured in Germany after 160 years. Brexit... strewth, you couldn't make it up!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain