Author Topic: World cup 2018  (Read 60687 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: World cup 2018
« Reply #50 on: 17 June, 2018, 04:48:52 pm »
1st Half of GER-MEX has been exceptional! Could be better than the POR-ESP at this rate :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #51 on: 17 June, 2018, 05:52:24 pm »
Ger v Mexico.
 :o
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #52 on: 17 June, 2018, 06:04:17 pm »
That was a great game.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #53 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:39:20 am »
I think we know that Germany will somehow turn this around and end up winning the World Cup, just like we all know that England will somehow find a way of turning an easy group into a nail-biting final 5 minutes of their final group game.

England do seem to have a manager with more of a plan now though. 
He has a formation in mid and he is playing players in the positions that they are familiar with at club level.  That's really all you can do. Don't ask an English footballer to do anything new or complex.

I always worry when I see players looking blankly at a white-board as the coach draws arrows, this way and that, all over it.  I know deep down that all they are thinking is, "What tattoo should I get this afternoon?" and, "Should I get a completely stupid haircut before the next game?".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #54 on: 18 June, 2018, 12:38:22 pm »
I'm not watching nearly as much as in years gone by and caught a bit of the Brazil game yesterday, mainly because it was Brazil.  It got me wondering how many within the football following world would still be interested in tonight's game on the basis it is England.  Do we have any wider allure?

With Argentina and Brazil drawing against 'lesser' teams I wonder how long it will be before a more 'emerging' team will win the whole thing or is it always destined to be european/south american affair.

I'm also pleased to report I rode my bike 8 times last week  :) (to and from work 4 times but that's still 8 seperate rides isn't it?)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #55 on: 18 June, 2018, 12:44:24 pm »
One of my staple pâtisseries has got itself up WC-style: not just do the poor bloody staff have to doll up in football kit (minus the boots, fortunately) but if you go in the door too quickly you risk getting tangled up in the goal net they've set up just behind. It's open on one side, so you have to hang a swift right.  With your bill you get a scratch card to win a football.

How long, oh Lord, how long?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #56 on: 18 June, 2018, 12:47:09 pm »
With Argentina and Brazil drawing against 'lesser' teams I wonder how long it will be before a more 'emerging' team will win the whole thing or is it always destined to be european/south american affair.

One of the African teams will win it eventually.  Maybe Nigeria. They already export loads of talent to Europe so they have experience of playing at the top level. I think the only thing holding them back is that its usually strikers that make it to Europe so the rest of the team doesn't get as much experience in the top fight of football.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #57 on: 18 June, 2018, 02:03:09 pm »
Maybe Nigeria.

Not this time, if their performance in their opening game is anything to go by.

Egypt have got just about the only truly 'world class' African player at the tournament in Mo Salah, but surely even he isn't good enough to carry the team to the final?

(I'm using Roy Keane's definition of 'world class' player that he cited on telly the other day, ie someone who would be picked by any team in the competition. You look across the squads of all the African nations and there are very few other contenders for that status. Maybe Kalidou Koulibaly of Senegal and Napoli? I know he is rated very highly but I've not seen him play.)

citoyen

« Reply #58 on: 18 June, 2018, 02:17:49 pm »
Sweden vs Korea is a bit lively! No idea how it is still 0-0. Nor how there are still 22 players on the pitch...

ETA: moments after posting, it is no longer 0-0.

« Reply #59 on: 18 June, 2018, 04:04:20 pm »
Sweden vs Korea is a bit lively! No idea how it is still 0-0. Nor how there are still 22 players on the pitch...

ETA: moments after posting, it is no longer 0-0.

Interesting discussion by the panel about the VAR decision in that game.
Garry Broad

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #60 on: 18 June, 2018, 04:21:42 pm »

One of the African teams will win it eventually.

They have been saying that for the >48 years I can remember watching the World cup but the gap remains the same.

As a rule of thumb, a European team wins it in Europe and a South American team win it in South America.    South Africa clearly counted as Europe so Spain won it (vs Holland).

Based on the games I've seen so far it's hard to look beyond a European winner.  Germany won't miss so many chances again.

I'm beginning to think that the young English players may take teams by surprise (but then I always think of some reason to be optimistic...before the dash my hopes on the rocks of talentlessness).

citoyen

« Reply #61 on: 18 June, 2018, 04:54:55 pm »

I had it on in the background with the sound off so missed that. What was the verdict? I thought it was a borderline decision but correct. It looked like the kind of decision that wouldn't have been given without VAR to help.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #62 on: 18 June, 2018, 05:00:37 pm »
Maybe Nigeria.

Not this time, if their performance in their opening game is anything to go by.
I thought Nigeria were very entertaining to watch, albeit disorganised and ineffective.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

« Reply #63 on: 18 June, 2018, 05:08:03 pm »
I thought Nigeria were very entertaining to watch, albeit disorganised and ineffective.

They had spells of passing it around nicely, occasionally surging goalwards, but it never looked like they were in danger of actually putting it in the net. Croatia weren't an awful lot better though - the scoreline flatters them.

« Reply #64 on: 18 June, 2018, 05:15:30 pm »

I had it on in the background with the sound off so missed that. What was the verdict? I thought it was a borderline decision but correct. It looked like the kind of decision that wouldn't have been given without VAR to help.

Well that was the interesting thing, because the referee was very very close and had a perfect view of it, and should really have given the penalty straight away. The point being that there might be a temptation for the referee to let the play go on and leave it to VAR before he is advised to stop the play subsequently and review what's gone on. Early stages but generally a good thing IMO though.

Bet Frank Lampard wishes it had been around in the past.  As well as others :)
Garry Broad

« Reply #65 on: 18 June, 2018, 07:01:59 pm »
Here we go.

« Reply #66 on: 18 June, 2018, 07:08:50 pm »
'ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go,
'ere we go, 'ere we go!

<repeat ad nauseam until tolchocked around the gulliver by a Russian>

Fixed. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #67 on: 18 June, 2018, 08:05:07 pm »
Volgograd seems to be rather midgey.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #68 on: 18 June, 2018, 08:21:40 pm »
It would have been hard not to give a penalty for that - it was practically a rugby tackle.
There was the very same sort of tackle on Harry Kane from an attacking corner in the game
against Tunisia. Ref didn't see it.

citoyen

« Reply #69 on: 18 June, 2018, 08:26:10 pm »
It would have been hard not to give a penalty for that - it was practically a rugby tackle.
There was the very same sort of tackle on Harry Kane from an attacking corner in the game
against Tunisia. Ref didn't see it.

And yet he somehow he managed to spot Walker’s gentle tap on the Tunisian attacker’s back.

He’s letting Tunisia kill this game.

« Reply #70 on: 18 June, 2018, 08:59:33 pm »
Blimey we won our first match at a World Cup, thats not how it usually works.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #71 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:07:32 pm »
Justice for the Tottenham 10

« Reply #72 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:49:27 pm »
Sumo Football. Where was the VAR geezer? Drunk on the clear stuff? Or lured away to some dodgy night spot?

What planet were Tunisia on? Goodness sake. First game. Go one down, get back on level terms. Half time. In with a shout. And then.......tactics: kill the game!  :facepalm:
Garry Broad

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #73 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:31:26 pm »
I was in favour of a video ref a few years back but the current implementation is no better then not having it.

As for England, they flattered to deceive for 20 minutes, got my hopes up, but then reverted to type for the remainder.  It all got very laboured.  Their one truly World class player saved the day.

All the best teams have someone like Harry Kane, one chance-one goal, two chances-two goals.  Being clinical is what separates the best teams from the runners up.

Ditch Sterling for Rashford and I see real potential.

« Reply #74 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:52:09 pm »
I agree with the last sentence, though I doubt if your loyalties woulod allow you to substitute Loftus-Cheek for Lingard.