Author Topic: Allergic to food  (Read 1982 times)

sam

Allergic to food
« on: 02 June, 2023, 01:15:47 pm »
Blood test results have just come in, and I've found out I'm allergic or at least sensitive to wheat, oats, tomato, and spinach. This added to recent findings for peanuts and bananas. All things I've consumed my entire life. Spinach I can live without, as I have been doing with peanuts and bananas, but the first three come as real blows.

I haven't talked to a doctor yet, and the specific results might not be quite as bad as they seem – just marked 'abnormal', with numbers which aren't terrifically high. Nevertheless, I'm thinking there are some big menu changes ahead.

When younger I had allergies to ragweed, dust(!), dog hair and a few other things which slip my mind. Apparently the fact that I kept getting pneumonia tipped my parents and doctor off that all was not well.

Re: Allergic to food
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2023, 01:21:48 pm »
Slightly odd to be sensitive to all the foods on that list.
If they say sensitive to tomatoes, are you ok with peppers?

<i>Marmite slave</i>

sam

« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2023, 01:29:50 pm »
Don't know, as they weren't specifically tested for. I just gave my GP a list of things that it occurred to me I consumed most often. I'm due an appt. for the allergy clinic, but that will be some time unless I go private, a prospect now looking more likely.

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2023, 02:19:32 pm »
It took months and months for me to have my allergy identified.
GP failed to do so.
Dermatologist at Lewisham Hospital failed to do so.
Finally identified following a visit to the Cutaneous Allergy Clinic at Guys, where the process included having every substance known to man on my back for around five days.

As you are asking, it was one of the ingredients of Assos cream which was causing me grief.

I hope you get your's sorted swiftly.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2023, 02:34:53 pm »
I've had that same test done, and it turned out I was (badly) allergic to one of the components of the discs used, and so now I have a pattern of scars across my back that looks like someone has tried to use me to play Connect 4.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2023, 03:06:07 pm »
I've had that same test done, and it turned out I was (badly) allergic to one of the components of the discs used, and so now I have a pattern of scars across my back that looks like someone has tried to use me to play Connect 4.

Sam
Who won?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2023, 03:09:06 pm »
As you are asking, it was one of the ingredients of Assos cream which was causing me grief.

I hope you get your's sorted swiftly.
I hope your pustules weren't too big.  ::-)

ravenbait

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2023, 03:58:25 pm »

Sam
Who won?

The nurse, as far as I can tell.

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2023, 04:14:27 pm »

Sam
Who won?

The nurse, as far as I can tell.

Sam
In other news....
I used to work with a guy called Don Maxwell when I first left college.
Amongst other games he invented, was Connect Four.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2023, 04:33:28 pm »
I ate a slice of crap cheese on a burger Monday lunch time.
And I had some cakes with cream on tuesday

It's been worse, but...

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

sam

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2023, 05:43:51 pm »
A had a mass skin prick test as a child, followed by years of weekly shots to the arm.

At least there's a silver lining to food allergies.

As to Connect 4, I've never played, but might do if it becomes a field sport.

« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2023, 05:58:53 pm »

Sam
What?
Discs inserted into your spinal column having not been previously tested for reactions?  :o

ravenbait

« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2023, 06:22:34 pm »
I had metal discs taped to my back for a week, I didn't have anything inserted anywhere. That seems a bit extreme.

But yes, it would have been nice for them not to have assumed I wouldn't be allergic to the stainless steel they used.

Sam

« Reply #13 on: 02 June, 2023, 06:34:30 pm »
My misunderstanding...

« Reply #14 on: 02 June, 2023, 08:57:37 pm »
I had metal discs taped to my back for a week, I didn't have anything inserted anywhere. That seems a bit extreme.

But yes, it would have been nice for them not to have assumed I wouldn't be allergic to the stainless steel they used.

Sam

Thought the grade of stainless steel used would be medical grade, and isn't that used to be inserted in to human body as it is inert.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:03:49 pm »
Suspect cheap, nasty nickel content…
…STOOPID or what?