Author Topic: Tent pics...  (Read 215197 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Tent pics...
« Reply #375 on: 16 July, 2013, 06:00:48 am »
We've got a Decathlon's Quechua T2 Ultralight Pro!  Excellent bit of kit.  It doesn't get used as much as it should  :'(

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #376 on: 27 July, 2013, 01:05:02 pm »
Vango Banshee 300 in North Norfolk last weekend.

I bought a 300 rather than 200 for one/two person use; glad I did, more room for panniers inside. Packs up with inner still attached - quite quick to strike.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #377 on: 27 July, 2013, 01:29:21 pm »
My Golite Shangri La 3 and Oookworks inner in upper Glen Tilt earlier this week:

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #378 on: 27 July, 2013, 01:43:24 pm »

My 2.4kg Macpac Minaret in Pont Farcy, Normandy. Spacious for one, cozy for two but can just fit in 4 panniers under the entrance fly.

iainj837

• Oh! what's occurrin' ?
« Reply #379 on: 30 July, 2013, 02:51:05 pm »
My tent

« Reply #380 on: 28 August, 2013, 06:05:28 pm »
Bought myself a Vango Blade 200 over the weekend which Parcelforce delivered today.  Am slightly amused that the merchant is (still) estimating delivery between Friday and Tuesday, am slightly less amused that the Parcelforce delivery driver "door stepped" the package containing my tent.   :-\  Was very much in two minds about whether to get a Blade 200 or a Banshee 200, hope I've made the correct choice.  <crosses fingers>  (Was originally planning on a Tempest 200, but wasn't wild about the redesigned porch area.)

Have only got as far as test pitching it on the grass near my flat, so can't give a definitive opinion on it's qualities as a tent yet!

« Reply #381 on: 28 August, 2013, 06:10:31 pm »
That looks much more spacious than the banshee I had. Looks easy to get in and out of, nice porch area and a more even headroom height :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #382 on: 28 August, 2013, 06:17:00 pm »
Our Quechua T4.1, at the Mildenhall Rally last weekend:

Unusually for heavyweight 4-person tents, it has a single large sleeping compartment rather than two small ones.  Given that the idea is to have room for two of us with plenty of space to move about and get dressed etc, this makes much more sense.  You could fit a family of 4 in it, but more than three adults would be a bit of a squeeze.

It's tall enough to stand fully upright in:

And there's more than enough room to park a trike:

:)

Initial impressions are that it's well made (nice sturdy zips), admirably waterproof (it got a proper test on Saturday night), and reasonably straightforward to pitch - a second pair of hands is helpful, but not a requirement.  It ventilates well, but some sort of openable flap to evict the beasties through would be nice.

The one thing that irks me is the ends of the poles are secured by inserting fire extinguisher pins into the ends of the pole, rather than the usual end of the pole into a ferrule method.  It works, but is fiddly while under tension.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #383 on: 29 August, 2013, 12:18:59 am »
My tent

Looks like a Vango Gamma 200 - I have one!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Ruth

« Reply #384 on: 29 August, 2013, 12:21:44 am »
My tent

Yeah, so that looks like you are using the electric hookup when cycle camping.  What for?  Underfloor heating?  Hair straighteners?  Aircon?

« Reply #385 on: 29 August, 2013, 05:40:15 pm »
Have only got as far as test pitching it on the grass near my flat, so can't give a definitive opinion on it's qualities as a tent yet!

I have noticed something strange about it already though.  The ends of the flysheet connect to the rest of the tent with the sort of plastic clips often found on rucksack belts/flaps, and the rest of the flysheet has elastic loops to connect to the pegs ...  Except for one of the loops at the back end (but not the other side) which has another plastic clip instead, even though there's nothing to clip it to!  Am I'm wondering if that's a manufacturing fault?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #386 on: 30 August, 2013, 10:46:44 am »

I have noticed something strange about it already though.  The ends of the flysheet connect to the rest of the tent with the sort of plastic clips often found on rucksack belts/flaps, and the rest of the flysheet has elastic loops to connect to the pegs ...  Except for one of the loops at the back end (but not the other side) which has another plastic clip instead, even though there's nothing to clip it to!  Am I'm wondering if that's a manufacturing fault?

That definitely sounds wrong. My Blade 100 only has 2 plastic clips, and loops (one at each corner and one on each side in the middle). I used it this summer for the ride to Russia with swarm_catcher (and back without her). There were times I wished I'd bought the 200. The 100 is so small there's room in it either for me or my panniers - not both.

Somewhere in Finland on the way back

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #387 on: 04 September, 2013, 11:36:39 am »
The one thing that irks me is the ends of the poles are secured by inserting fire extinguisher pins into the ends of the pole, rather than the usual end of the pole into a ferrule method.  It works, but is fiddly while under tension.
It's pretty common on big tents. I guess cheap to make.

They can be difficult to get in under tension, particularly once some dirt has packed into the end of the pole.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #388 on: 04 September, 2013, 01:26:31 pm »
It's pretty common on big tents. I guess cheap to make.

Seems reasonably robust, too.  I can't imagine a plastic ferrule as you'd find on a lightweight tent lasting long under the forces involved.

I must admit my experience of big tents more modern than the frame-and-canvas construction is fairly limited.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #389 on: 04 September, 2013, 09:01:47 pm »
From Mildenhall, our TN Voyager XL

DSCF1856 by TJ Clarion

Andrewc's rather nice tent

IMG_5412 by TJ Clarion

DSCF1927 by TJ Clarion

Rich's

DSCF1852e by TJ Clarion
Getting there...

« Reply #390 on: 05 September, 2013, 10:44:03 pm »
Big tent and little tent at this years Tandem Club Nation Rally.

P1020575 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

P1020492 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #391 on: 05 September, 2013, 10:52:42 pm »

That very efficient photo also captures Luke's Wild Country Duolite Tourer and our Hilleberg Nallo 3GT.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #392 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:09:51 pm »
Who makes Andrewc's tent? It looks an awful lot like my previous tent.

DaleFTW

« Reply #393 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:12:48 pm »
It's a GoLite SL3 I believe.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #394 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:17:20 pm »
Something like that.  He's discussed it before.  Very cool.
Getting there...

« Reply #395 on: 07 September, 2013, 12:40:00 pm »

Golite SL3 indeed, used in singleskin mode with a 3/4 Oooktub
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #396 on: 08 September, 2013, 12:50:21 pm »
A "campsite" on our recent Coast to Coast to Coast. It's the Mill Inn at Mungrisdale and to be fair, the camping was free and we got an excellent full English brekkie for £6.50.

Mine is the palest green MSR Hubba HP.

a great mind thinks alike

DaleFTW

« Reply #397 on: 08 September, 2013, 11:21:54 pm »

Golite SL3 indeed, used in singleskin mode with a 3/4 Oooktub

I've been trying to pick one up second hand as a luxury version of my Mini Peak. Was gutted to see I'd missed out on one that went for £60!

« Reply #398 on: 10 September, 2013, 10:06:50 pm »
I don't think I have a photo of my Akto in here. Here it is, at one of my favourite campsites ever, in deepest Serbia:

wild camping in Serbia by dean.clementson, on Flickr

« Reply #399 on: 10 September, 2013, 11:04:39 pm »
my wild country venturi 2 and apollos new little tent at west row campsite  milldenhall

milldenhall2013 097 by cycleman108, on Flickr

apollo had the choice of any tent in the sop and picked the smallest he could find ::-). when he got up in the morning i was reminded of a chicken hatching from it's egg  ;D
the slower you go the more you see