Author Topic: Tent pics...  (Read 215198 times)

Re: Tent pics...
« Reply #525 on: 27 August, 2016, 03:01:51 pm »
I've shown this Vango tent before, but here it is in the slightly unusual setting of a railway platform (you can just see the station buildings down the end). You need a tent, because it's going to be a long wait for a train; none have run for about 60 years.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #526 on: 28 August, 2016, 07:31:44 am »
Camping in the garden with my two boys last night. The 7yr old was with me in my 16yr old Mountain Hardware, which really needs some sort of good reproofing, and the 9 yr old upstart was in my newer Wild Country Zephyrus 2.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #527 on: 02 September, 2016, 10:59:08 pm »
At Field Barn Park, a couple of miles south of Bourton-on-the-Water. £18(!!! :o) but very nice place.

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Chris S

« Reply #528 on: 16 September, 2016, 09:42:12 pm »
Erection, Semaine Federale style.

https://youtu.be/kXHZ8bW8VGg

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #529 on: 25 September, 2016, 05:09:52 am »
Camping in Joshua Tree National Park

And at night

(Those photos are from the last night our Nordisk tent will get used because the tent got 100+ holes put into the outer thanks to a cat, so it'll be pretty ineffective in the British climate.)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #530 on: 09 November, 2016, 05:31:35 pm »
Minimalist

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #531 on: 09 November, 2016, 06:03:08 pm »
...and funky multional!

« Reply #532 on: 02 May, 2017, 09:29:47 pm »
On a trip down to a CC&C site in the midlands last weekend we took the opportunity to try the setup we’ll use in Germany & the Netherlands this summer rather than use the big family tent.  Over all it worked quite well though Mrs B wasn’t quite so sure. Being more accustomed to the big family tent and not having joined the kids and me on cycle camping trips before she struggled on the Thermorest Prolite and the low height of the Wildcountry Hoolie.  For the big trip taking a wider/deeper matt won’t present any difficulty but I don’t think I’ll be replacing the Hoolie 2 with something taller before then. 

IMG_20170429_190442264 by ;D, on Flickr
IMG_20170429_190425936 by ;D, on Flickr

Anyway the site was Conkers near Ashby De-La-Zouch and we were based there for a weekend of cycling with some pals from the Tandem Club. Having only ever passed through the area in trains or cars before I had expected it to be horrendously busy but quite the opposite was true; the cycling was terrific and the lanes wonderfully quiet. So people of the Midlands I apologise for two decades of judging the area based on view from the M5/6/42 and look forward to visiting again.

Guess I've rambled on enough for a board that's suppost to be for tent pics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #533 on: 02 May, 2017, 09:34:01 pm »
Anyway the site was Conkers near Ashby De-La-Zouch and we were based there for a weekend of cycling with some pals from the Tandem Club. Having only ever passed through the area in trains or cars before I had expected it to be horrendously busy but quite the opposite was true; the cycling was terrific and the lanes wonderfully quiet. So people of the Midlands I apologise for two decades of judging the area based on view from the M5/6/42 and look forward to visiting again.

The whole point in those motorways is to act as a car-sink for the decent cycling roads...

I love cycling in that direction, once I've escaped Greater Birmingham.

« Reply #534 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:10:08 pm »
We used a Hilleberg tarp to "connect" two lightweight tents on a cycle camping trip.
It worked well, in fact given the fact that you can't serve a family meal in two small tents, the tarp adds a lot more useable space.
Mrs. M would be envious of the seats.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #535 on: 05 May, 2017, 06:44:44 am »
First night camping  for many years in my new Zephyros 2. At Kielder Campsite before the Dirty Reiver.

Dirty Reiver 200km Gravel Grind by ian, on Flickr

« Reply #536 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:24:36 am »
We're searching for our ideal tent. Not much money to spare so we're looking at a tipi tent we've seen. Perhaps we should consider smaller tents linked by a tarp ourselves. We have an ultralight 2 man force 10 tent and a heavier 2 man Vango plus tarps from 1.2x2.4m up to either 3 or 4m square I can't remember which. Could just buy two poles and use the rest of the 2mm dynema and mini lineloks for guys.

Trouble is the bigger tent would be best suited for my child and his mum but I don't fit in the other tent. Most UL tents achieve low weight by being small. I'm 1.96m tall which means in real terms I need a tent with the marketed internal length of 2.2/2.25m. This is due to the slope of the tent and the lying marketing specifications.

BTW how old is your hoolie 2? Is it the etc extended porch one? My hoolie got a failed pole less than a few days of use. How are you getting on with your tent? I suspect I got a bad one but it's put me off them.

« Reply #537 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:00:16 pm »
First night camping  for many years in my new Zephyros 2. At Kielder Campsite before the Dirty Reiver.

I do like the Kielder campsite,  I was there with my lad just a week before you and had a terrific stay.

« Reply #538 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:12:46 pm »
We're searching for our ideal tent. Not much money to spare so we're looking at a tipi tent we've seen. Perhaps we should consider smaller tents linked by a tarp ourselves. We have an ultralight 2 man force 10 tent and a heavier 2 man Vango plus tarps from 1.2x2.4m up to either 3 or 4m square I can't remember which. Could just buy two poles and use the rest of the 2mm dynema and mini lineloks for guys.

Trouble is the bigger tent would be best suited for my child and his mum but I don't fit in the other tent. Most UL tents achieve low weight by being small. I'm 1.96m tall which means in real terms I need a tent with the marketed internal length of 2.2/2.25m. This is due to the slope of the tent and the lying marketing specifications.

BTW how old is your hoolie 2? Is it the etc extended porch one? My hoolie got a failed pole less than a few days of use. How are you getting on with your tent? I suspect I got a bad one but it's put me off them.

It is a Hoolie 2 ETC and I've got to say that it has been a terrific tent for us.  I bought it a couple of years ago for cycle camping with the whole family in order to give Mrs B a bit more room than something like our Zephos 2 provides. Up until very recently it hadn't been used for that purpose but has seen frequent use on short car camping trips were we haven't used the big family tent.

On the trip where the above photo was taken Mrs B didn't get on too well in the Hoolie, ideally she would like to get something much taller. I believe wild country do a tall version of the zephos but I don't thing our funds can stretch to another tent before this years big trip. 

If you don't mind a low tent the Hoolie 2 ETC isn't a bad choice, not the lightest tent you could buy but for the money and weight you get a superb amount of space.

« Reply #539 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:23:17 pm »
We had the hoolie 3etc. Great tent and we loved it but one of the poles shattered at the joint. We taped a pole splint on and it coped with the second week. It had 3 days use up to that point. By the second week stitching failed on the webbing to the inner tent. It had loose threads all over the place. Quality was poor throughout with the stitching. Pegs were as good as a chocolate fire guard. With the first use on a campsite with good ground 2 pegs hit what must have been the only stones on the whole site. They instantly bent over. I straightened them. Then over the 2 weeks I ended up without any peg that hadn't bent and been straightened. I was glad I'd packed some Ti pegs as spares.

It got sent back for a full refund but we've been looking for a good replacement with ideally the same design but lighter. So far I've not found anything that is better than that tent for the money. If only the quality had been better. Now I've been put off the whole brand, TN and WC are both out being the same group of companies. The blizzard 3 is a lighter version that's slightly smaller and lighter but a 4 season tent. It's just from one of those two companies I no longer trust.

« Reply #540 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:34:00 pm »
While our zephos definitely seems better made than the hoolie I'm happy to say that I've had none of the problems you repot.  I'd certainly buy TN/WC again.

« Reply #541 on: 06 May, 2017, 08:53:28 pm »
I suspect it's down to market position. WC are the cheaper brand in the company. Within that brand there's higher end such as their lightweight products or 4 season products like zephyros and blizzard. Hoolie is their cheaper level. That's probably why the quality is lower. TN is the more premium brand and their products I've seen are a lot better made.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #542 on: 07 May, 2017, 03:09:37 pm »

Never mind the tent, you rode the Dirty Reiver! I am well impressed!  :thumbsup:

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #543 on: 07 May, 2017, 04:13:11 pm »

Never mind the tent, you rode the Dirty Reiver! I am well impressed!  :thumbsup:

Thanks - it was one of the toughest events I think I've ever done, I was seriously questioning my sanity from about 130 - 150 km but pulled out of it when the potatoes and cheese at the 3rd feed kicked in and worked their magic. I had secretly hoped to get inside 12 hours and managed 11.47 - so I was well chuffed :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #544 on: 07 May, 2017, 05:56:00 pm »
Less than 12 hours for 200km on gravel tracks?  :o

Like the Cross Check, but what on earth are you holding in your hands there? Did you have a team of bike-sled dogs to pull you? !!!

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #545 on: 07 May, 2017, 06:40:09 pm »
Less than 12 hours for 200km on gravel tracks?  :o

Like the Cross Check, but what on earth are you holding in your hands there? Did you have a team of bike-sled dogs to pull you? !!!

Yeah, dog leads - we made the trip a holiday and rented a cottage about an hour away. I camped Friday so that I didn't have to get up at silly o'clock and got picked up Saturday evening. Held the dogs whilst Mrs W took the photo. Wish they had dragged me 'round :D

« Reply #546 on: 07 May, 2017, 07:34:27 pm »
Here's the Wild Country Coshee 3 that I accidentally bought at a camping exhibition the other week. It was being cleared for £60 - strike it and take it yourself. It's bigger than the Coleman Epsilon 2 I've been packing in my panniers, but it's lighter and packs smaller.

A three-man tent is a probably a bit big for just me, but there's space for kit and, unlike the Coleman, I can sit up in it to get changed :thumbsup:

« Reply #547 on: 28 May, 2017, 03:59:05 pm »
Vaude Hogan Ultralight, Co. Monaghan, Ireland.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #548 on: 31 May, 2017, 12:34:29 pm »
I have a stable of tents, but a little while ago a deal came up on a Vango Tempest 300. Not the lightest of tents, but it has good reviews, and as a base camp tent it looks a lot roomier than my Vaude Taurus and a lot lighter than my TN HD Hyperspace, bombproof though that is. I will take it to York and see how it handles. The logic is that somewhere like the Shrewsbury Festival involves four nights of camping, and I learned that lesson many years ago: a small tent is snug and cosy for the first night...

Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #549 on: 31 May, 2017, 01:13:26 pm »
On a trip down to a CC&C site in the midlands last weekend we took the opportunity to try the setup we’ll use in Germany & the Netherlands this summer rather than use the big family tent.  Over all it worked quite well though Mrs B wasn’t quite so sure. Being more accustomed to the big family tent and not having joined the kids and me on cycle camping trips before she struggled on the Thermorest Prolite and the low height of the Wildcountry Hoolie.  For the big trip taking a wider/deeper matt won’t present any difficulty but I don’t think I’ll be replacing the Hoolie 2 with something taller before then. 

IMG_20170429_190442264 by ;D, on Flickr
IMG_20170429_190425936 by ;D, on Flickr

Guess I've rambled on enough for a board that's suppost to be for tent pics.

Perhaps you should bring your tents, bikes and the family down for a Long itch weekend.  In return we'll be happy to show you some more fabulous and quiet country lanes as well as you having a great time with lots of fellow YACFers.