Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016763 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #5100 on: 24 March, 2018, 05:16:52 pm »
Colins Barnpecker        ;D

« Reply #5101 on: 30 March, 2018, 05:35:31 pm »
A Greater Spotted Woodpecker on our peanut feeder, a Green Woodpecker on next door lawn, and most extraordinary of all, a Red Legged Partridge - walking around on our patio within 3m of the back door, under the bird feeders we have there. Maybe picking up spilt mealworms, or the remains of sunflower hearts. Never seen one in the garden before, indeed never seen one within half a mile of the house before, the closest being a family group about that far away foraging in a large field. Only other game birds we see are Pheasant, and a couple of females were under the feeders in the cold snap.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5102 on: 30 March, 2018, 07:55:39 pm »
Bullfinchs nesting under the eaves at the Dinton pastures cafe yesterday. I have not seen bullfinchs for years  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #5103 on: 31 March, 2018, 07:12:24 pm »
Hates. 10 of them, some as close as 3m. And one, behind me on the road, 2m away. Beautiful.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5104 on: 31 March, 2018, 08:29:22 pm »
Greater spotted woodpecker.

When I was in the park this morning I was looking into the "pikey pool" for the two specimens of esox lucius that dwell there. Suddenly there was a splashy commotion to my left and one of the pike had somehow almost gone over the small waterfall into the next pool. Next thing there was an almighty swirl as it propelled itself to a different part of the pool.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5105 on: 03 April, 2018, 10:14:02 pm »
This little chappie, and then joined by its mate as well, picking off the bits of fleece that were stuck on the twigs, presumably for nesting materials.

They were quite accepting of me in my office about 1.5-2m away through the window

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5106 on: 04 April, 2018, 10:25:07 am »
Unusual for us - in fact the first time we’ve positively identified one - a blackcap on the feeders.

« Reply #5107 on: 07 April, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »
Even more unusually, a great crested newt feet from our back door. Cool!

Well I hope that's what it was - poor pics below....

IMG_0144 by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

IMG_0143 by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5108 on: 07 April, 2018, 10:56:41 pm »
You could only see its feet?  If you'd have gone out of the backdoor, you may have been able to see more of it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5109 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:10:03 am »
It was warm enough for lizards to be out today, only I didn't see any. Nor yet their feet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5110 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:09:27 am »
Loads of red kites yesterday - but we were in the Chilterns. I heard a blackcap and said to Her Welshness "That's a blackcap!" and, dead on cue, it appeared. I think I heard a nuthatch at one point, but didn't see it. Likewise numerous goldcrests.

« Reply #5111 on: 09 April, 2018, 09:17:38 am »
Took the dog on a long walk round the outside of Castle Howard yesterday. Loads of skylarks singing like mad. In some reeds a grey heron was been told in no uncertain terms to bugger off by a pair of Canadian geese. The most surprising thing I saw was an oyster catcher wading in a waterlogged field, I did't realize they they came so far inland.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5112 on: 09 April, 2018, 03:36:18 pm »
The most surprising thing I saw was an oyster catcher wading in a waterlogged field, I did't realize they they came so far inland.

It's only a matter of time before those show up in Canon Hill Park as well, isn't it?

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #5113 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:33:02 am »
A greater spotted woodpecker drumming on a dead lelandii trunk over the back of the house.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5114 on: 24 April, 2018, 09:59:44 pm »
The less well known Hebridean Haggis Haggis harrisii (unlike the better known Highland or Common Haggis Haggis haggis)
(click to show/hide)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5115 on: 24 April, 2018, 11:54:48 pm »
No fewer than 7 jays all in the same ash tree
goldcrest
blackcaps
mallards with a brood of at least 9 ducklings

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5116 on: 25 April, 2018, 04:44:29 pm »
Things seen on holiday in the Hebrides:
1 eagle, type unknown but heading south at height.
2 red deer, both stags, in the front garden
Red breasted merganser
Fulmars, shags, bullfinches
1 dead otter
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5117 on: 26 April, 2018, 04:34:08 pm »
The first of (hopefully) 5 robin chicks to hatch. Tomorrow being wet I’ll check my camera is charged up and hopefully get some pics. Hope the cat doesn’t find the nest.

And sadly a squashed hedgehog, and a dead stoat.

« Reply #5118 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:40:55 am »
In the midst of all the usual spring pleasures.
A medium sized grey bird, roughly woodpigeon or collared dove colour, though somewhat smaller, with pointy wings (falcon?). It flew on; I can only use jinking to describe how it flew, though not through, or even near to trees. It's a rather rough description.
I saw a kestrel a couple of hours later. Gorgeous chesnut colours & a fair bit bigger.

So what was the grey bird?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5119 on: 27 April, 2018, 06:26:32 pm »
Tagged starlings in the garden. A fairly typical-sized flock invaded our garden (as they do), and I gradually realised that about 1/4 had tags on their ankles.

I can't recall ever seeing tagged birds in "real life". N mentioned that she's only seem them on ducks.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5120 on: 27 April, 2018, 06:31:10 pm »
A medium sized grey bird, roughly woodpigeon or collared dove colour, though somewhat smaller, with pointy wings (falcon?). It flew on; I can only use jinking to describe how it flew, though not through, or even near to trees. It's a rather rough description.
I saw a kestrel a couple of hours later. Gorgeous chesnut colours & a fair bit bigger.

Hobby?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5121 on: 27 April, 2018, 06:35:56 pm »
Tagged starlings in the garden. A fairly typical-sized flock invaded our garden (as they do), and I gradually realised that about 1/4 had tags on their ankles.

I can't recall ever seeing tagged birds in "real life". N mentioned that she's only seem them on ducks.
It does happen quite a lot and with a fair number of species. Were they metalling rings or coloured ones?
Bird ringing is done to track things like migrations, how long birds live and so on. If you find a dead bird with a ring I think there are places to send the ring to.
The coloured ones are done to enable specific individuals to be identified easily without disturbing them.

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5122 on: 27 April, 2018, 11:55:00 pm »

Me neither.  The only tagged bird I've ever seen was a lost or exhausted pigeon that took up residence in our Bournville garden for two days.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5123 on: 28 April, 2018, 09:01:29 am »
I saw a ringed pied wagtail a couple of weeks ago:

Pied wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) by The Pingus, on Flickr

I've also seen a ringed herring gull and waxwings. Last winter we saw some people ringing waxwings in the centre of FurryBootToon.

« Reply #5124 on: 29 April, 2018, 10:15:17 pm »

Hobby?
Thanks for the link. I'd started to guess that it was male & either a Merlin or Hobby. The RSPB pictures showed the underside of a Hobby. As soon as I saw that, I realised I'd only seen the upper parts :(. A bit of extra searching on other sites showed pictures of both species with distinctly different head plumage. I didn't notice the head. The flight pattern is (by now) presumably hunting, but I didn't notice prey. Also I didn't notice the patterns on the tail feathers. Not a lot to go on...

Has anyone else seen either of these species in or near Warwickshire? I don't think either is that common, but are Hobbies commoner?