Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 957883 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10275 on: 14 December, 2023, 03:42:11 pm »

†Speaking of 2000AD, I still think the Karl Urban Dredd film was far better than most of the Marvel stuff, even if it was a thinly disguised version of The Raid.

Dredd is one of the better action movies made in the last 2 decades.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10276 on: 14 December, 2023, 07:03:59 pm »
I'll argue that stuff like Iron Man was genuinely good, it was proper storytelling, well-cast, well-written, well-directed as were many of the early films. They should have called an end to proceedings with Infinity War. Now it's AI-written, poorly directed, with no character development (compare Iron Man, Captain America etc. with Captain Marvel, who basically started the movie as she ended it, minus a pair of gloves).

The first Iron Man was great. I quite liked Captain Marvel too. And Thor Ragnarok. Infinity War is dreadful.

Superhero films work best as standalones. Trying to tie them all together into a coherent universe is essentially where they went wrong.

I think that's true. Pretty much the only interesting stories of superheroes are the origin stories. Hero's journey, and all that. What the hero did next isn't so compelling, because you already know they're a hero.

The problem with superheroes beyond the origin story is that it either turns into an RPG-style game of logical consequences and unorthodox applications for their powers[1], or it conspicuously and tediously fails to do so.  There's only so many spectacular fight scenes you can watch without getting bored and remembering that SMBC comic.

Also, the entire concept of Batman only works if it's played for laughs by Adam West or CGI Lego.

[1] Notable examples:  The Jumper novels, Misfits, The Boys.

« Reply #10277 on: 14 December, 2023, 07:36:42 pm »
My main complaint about 'superhero' movies is that they usually end up with people punching each other.

Seriously?

The Jumper novel was really, really good. Made into a stupid film, ejecting all the good stuff from the novel.

I hadn't realised there were sequels, will have to look them up.

Extraordinary is pretty good.

I like the 'joker' series of novels. Joker or Ace?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10278 on: 14 December, 2023, 07:53:29 pm »
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

ian

« Reply #10279 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:16:00 pm »
I'll argue that stuff like Iron Man was genuinely good, it was proper storytelling, well-cast, well-written, well-directed as were many of the early films. They should have called an end to proceedings with Infinity War. Now it's AI-written, poorly directed, with no character development (compare Iron Man, Captain America etc. with Captain Marvel, who basically started the movie as she ended it, minus a pair of gloves).

The first Iron Man was great. I quite liked Captain Marvel too. And Thor Ragnarok. Infinity War is dreadful.

Superhero films work best as standalones. Trying to tie them all together into a coherent universe is essentially where they went wrong.

Indeed, it's not just the death of plot and character, the universe becomes more nonsensical and incoherent by the movie.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10280 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:23:52 pm »
Prescription thugs, quite interesting.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10281 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:27:06 pm »
The Jumper novel was really, really good. Made into a stupid film, ejecting all the good stuff from the novel.

There were several sequels, plus an attempt to provide a backstory that made the film make sense.

There was also a perfectly good TV series, loosely based on Impulse.  It's more about sexual assault and the resulting trauma than teleportation, though, which suggests a strong Steven Gould influence.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10282 on: 15 December, 2023, 10:54:09 pm »
Die Hard. Because its christmas. RZ's fault excellent suggestion.
I didn't find it nasty compared to recent stuff, I thought it had aged very well.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #10283 on: 15 December, 2023, 11:09:09 pm »
The Innocent:

(March 1993).

This film is on Talking Pictures TV at 10 pm (Thurs 14th Dec 2023). Some of the scenes
were shot at Tempelhof Airport in Berlin. I was in the RAF at the time and many serving
staff were invited to act as passengers in an airport check-in scene.

We were there from about 7pm in the evening until 4 am in the morning (lots of waiting around). The catering was great and we were well paid for our time.

I am going to record it, just in case I see myself in a scene handing in my boarding pass. :-D

Anthony Hopkins and Isabella Rossellini are the headliners in the film. It's the first time
I've seen it shown anywhere.
I've just fast-forwarded the film and at 1hr 58 mins in an airport scene. Anthony Hopkins and
another actor are in dialogue. In the background, I am in a queue waiting to hand in my boarding
pass to the check-in staff.

As I'm in the background my image is blurred, but I know it's me, as the film staff told me exactly
what to do, and that is just what I did (as witnessed in that scene).*

*I suppose this could go in the 'Claim to fame' thread?

« Reply #10284 on: 15 December, 2023, 11:20:55 pm »
Nyad. Amazing story. Not sure how much was exaggerated, but still very inspirational.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10285 on: 15 December, 2023, 11:51:04 pm »
I watched Die Hard 2

It suffered from sequelitis, and poor (non)CGI

Yippie kay vista, baby.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10286 on: 16 December, 2023, 10:43:34 pm »
Saltburn

Cracking good fun. A lot of it is quite predictable (I saw the ending coming a mile off*) and some of the plot details don't bear close scrutiny, but it's all very well put together, looks and sounds gorgeous (great sets, great costumes, great soundtrack), laugh-out-loud funny in places, and Rosamund Pike and Richard E Grant are superb. So is Barry Keoghan, of course.

*as Peter Bradshaw put it:
(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10287 on: 17 December, 2023, 11:47:13 am »
I watched Die Hard 2

Yippie kay vista, baby.

I watched DH2 last night while doing a Z2 turbo session.  It stands up well alongside Die Hard, and I disagree  strongly about the special effects - much better than the CGI-laden shit that blights many more modern films.

ian

« Reply #10288 on: 22 December, 2023, 03:42:00 pm »

I think that's true. Pretty much the only interesting stories of superheroes are the origin stories. Hero's journey, and all that. What the hero did next isn't so compelling, because you already know they're a hero.  See also: Endless police procedural dramas based around the 'maverick' investigator, whodunnits generally, Star Wars* etc.

I stuck with Marvel as far as the end of the infinity war stuff.  The Tony Stark storyline, if you like, from origin to death.  It kind of made sense.  As I think I may have said before, when I went to see Iron Man, I was not a Marvel fan, nor immersed in the world of comics - 2000AD† being the exception, but that was in the 1980's when that dystopia was the future possibility rather than the lived present. As an antidote to the more-or-less contemporary DC stuff (Dark Knight, Superman Returns) it was pretty good, I thought, and obviously came from a different mindset.  The later films, not so much, and the last one I saw (Dr Strange in the Cash Generator, I think it was called) was just pants.

*The original Star Wars (1977) film was a hero's journey origin story which borrowed from Dune, thereby missing both the better plot, and the point. I still like that one, and the recent Dune.

†Speaking of 2000AD, I still think the Karl Urban Dredd film was far better than most of the Marvel stuff, even if it was a thinly disguised version of The Raid.

Tony Stark was great, and along with the other early characters, they followed an arc that came to a natural conclusion. Unfortunately, the movies kept going and they've never replicated the original storytelling, probably because the movies are just product now. Captain Marvel was vaguely amusing, but that was that, her character never progressed, nothing was learned or earned. The curse of later characters, who became identikit superheroes fighting identikit villains in an identikit plot. There were a few brief reprises like Ragnorok (not close to replicated in the terrible Love & Thunder) and GotG, which thrives on a great cast. The last couple were a deluge of surprisingly poor (given the budget) CGI and increasingly tiresome, off-tone one-liners, and some questionable morality (Wanda, for instance, basically enslaved an entire town, but apparently that was all ok). Perhaps the stories weren't written by AI, though that option may offer a path to improvement. Take it from me, Secret Invasion was probably one of the worst series ever made, and I only say one of the worst, because I watched half an episode of She-Hulk. I have had more enjoyable episodes of diarrhoea.

ian

« Reply #10289 on: 22 December, 2023, 03:44:00 pm »
Did also enjoy Leave the World Behind, and I guess the ending was marmite for many, but I thought was a degree of perfection and a bit brave for a modern, mass-market movie.

« Reply #10290 on: 22 December, 2023, 04:23:18 pm »
I don't watch many films these days, but I idly flicked on Guy Ritchie's The Gentleman because it popped up in Netflix. I'd seen it twice before.

Again, despite knowing the plot twist I found myself transfixed, largely by Hugh Grant's unbelievably good acting as a seedy tabloid newspaper private investigator.

jwo

« Reply #10291 on: 22 December, 2023, 04:51:03 pm »
Watched "It's a Wonderful Life" last night (well, it is December). Stand-out moment is the world without George Bailey populated with Jazz bars and Mary as a bespectacled, unmarried, tweed-suited librarian. The horror!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10292 on: 22 December, 2023, 06:59:02 pm »
Again, despite knowing the plot twist I found myself transfixed, largely by Hugh Grant's unbelievably good acting as a seedy tabloid newspaper private investigator.
You better be ready for Wonka then. "Seedy" doesn't cover it ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10293 on: 22 December, 2023, 09:26:50 pm »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Makes sense, given the rest.
Bit late to this party but
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #10294 on: 23 December, 2023, 06:16:49 am »
Sci-fi Day!
The Creator: Beautiful, but boring. Story so full of holes, that I don't even know where to start.

Rebel Moon: I'd seen enough reviews to know that this wouldn't be good and it very much wasn't. It has it's moments, though and I was still entertained. It's still total trash and I still don't get why studios let Zack Snyder write stuff. Some of the action scenes are extremely good, everything in-between utter trash.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10295 on: 23 December, 2023, 11:46:20 am »
Harry Brown

This had passed me by when it came out, never heard of it. Michael Caine delivers a wonderful performance, in a gritty and uncomfortable vigilante story. Not for the faint hearted.
It is simpler than it looks.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #10296 on: 24 December, 2023, 08:27:04 am »
Little Women (Greta Gerwig version).
Two 60 year old parents sobbing uncontrollably in front of the whole family - no, that's not the plot.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10297 on: 24 December, 2023, 09:25:17 am »
I watched Die Hard 2

Yippie kay vista, baby.

I watched DH2 last night while doing a Z2 turbo session.  It stands up well alongside Die Hard, and I disagree  strongly about the special effects - much better than the CGI-laden shit that blights many more modern films.
We watched Die Hard With A Vengeance yesterday, which I think is the best of the series.  It's helped hugely by Samuel L Jackson.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #10298 on: 24 December, 2023, 11:18:59 pm »
Harry Brown

This had passed me by when it came out, never heard of it. Michael Caine delivers a wonderful performance, in a gritty and uncomfortable vigilante story. Not for the faint hearted.

Ah yes. "You failed to maintain your weapon..."
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #10299 on: 25 December, 2023, 10:40:41 am »
Harry Brown

Ah yes. "You failed to maintain your weapon..."

Just read the précis. It’s what Gran Torino should have been. And as it’s on Prime I can give it a go one evening when my wife is out.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)