Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950629 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2150 on: 06 February, 2012, 11:58:10 am »
Signed up for Netflix

Watched:

Super High Me, amusing take on what it's like to not smoke pot, then smoke pot non stop for 30 days.

Glory, very good film, seen it before, just wanted to catch up with it again.

« Reply #2151 on: 07 February, 2012, 08:30:14 am »
Erin Brockiwich.

Great performances from Julia Roberts and Albert Finney.

« Reply #2152 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:09:28 am »
The Artist.

Absolutely fantastic. Best film I've seen in ages.  :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2153 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:39:08 pm »
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.   Don't watch this film if you're a little tired - it's getting late and you don't know/forgotten the story.   ;)  I periodically got lost with names - who was who, and also because mini ao had a cold and kept on getting up - we had to have the volume on low-ish and I so I lost some of the dialogue at times.  Sombre and sometimes confusing (for me) - but well done; should watch it again (but haven't got time).  Gary Oldman was very good I thought, admirably poker-faced.

I watched this the other day and there are a lot of details that you need to able to pay attention to, which are crucial to the plot; miss something and you get lost. If you miss a red dress here and a ring on someone's hand there, you might miss hints Of what's happening.  However, some of those details are brilliant; the use of glasses for instance: Prideaux tells the schoolboy that people who wear glasses see all, Smiley wears glasses and sees all but Haydon only wears glasses in meetings when he needs to see all in order to pass on the information to the Soviets - thereby immediately hinting that he is the mole.

Great film 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2154 on: 10 February, 2012, 06:39:15 am »
V for Vendetta.  Natalie Portman's very poor English accent keeps slipping.  Some of the actors are quite good but The Matrix throwing knife effects are crap and the story is highly derivative, mostly from The Phantom Of The Opera and Nineteen Eighty-Four.  Enjoyable tosh though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuzzy

« Reply #2155 on: 10 February, 2012, 09:37:11 am »
V for Vendetta.  Natalie Portman's very poor English accent keeps slipping.  Some of the actors are quite good but The Matrix throwing knife effects are crap and the story is highly derivative, mostly from The Phantom Of The Opera and Nineteen Eighty-Four.  Enjoyable tosh though.

Don't worry about the minor defets in the filum. Starring Natalie Portman more than makes up for them  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2156 on: 10 February, 2012, 11:36:21 am »
The Girl Who Played with Fire and half of the The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest.

Marginally better than the first part, but not distinctive enough to differentiate them from many other of the genre. This is a shame, as the books deserve better. One things that grates is the almost total exclusion of quite a major character in the films; i.e. Armansky, Salander's boss. He gets the tiniest of cameos in the films, but was instrumental in the plot of the books. A major omission IMO. I know books have to be condensed into scripts, but this goes too far.

It's made me want to see the Daniel Craig version, as it can't be any worse. Can it?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2157 on: 10 February, 2012, 02:24:01 pm »
It's got Daniel Craig in it, and he's a big piece of wood.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

« Reply #2158 on: 10 February, 2012, 06:26:15 pm »

Don't worry about the minor defets in the filum. Starring Natalie Portman more than makes up for them  :thumbsup:
Yebbut Keira Knightley looks almost identical and she wouldn't struggle with the accent.  Stephen Rea was good but lets himself down in the tube station for pronouncing "lever" the US way  :facepalm:

« Reply #2159 on: 10 February, 2012, 07:54:16 pm »
It's got Daniel Craig in it, and he's a big piece of wood.
Yebbut, they can't butcher the script as much as the Swedish lot...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2160 on: 10 February, 2012, 07:57:24 pm »
The Wrestler

Starring Mickey Rourke.  Surprisingly good  :thumbsup:

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2161 on: 10 February, 2012, 09:31:30 pm »
The Dark, on iPlayer. Very, very Welsh, and TBH being a cymres makes it easier to watch, but also nicely creepy with some nasty little touches.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

LindaG

« Reply #2162 on: 10 February, 2012, 10:16:00 pm »
The Future.  Not at all what I expected, but there were bits that made you think.  I suspect this is one that will come back to us at odd times.

http://thefuturethefuture.com/

« Reply #2163 on: 10 February, 2012, 10:19:51 pm »
Beautiful animated film about surviving at the end of the world.   

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/

Um.
Creepy. Odd. Lovely.

Odd.

red marley

« Reply #2164 on: 10 February, 2012, 10:24:15 pm »
The Future.  Not at all what I expected.

That's worth printing up on a t-shirt.

LindaG

« Reply #2165 on: 10 February, 2012, 11:04:59 pm »
The Future.  Not at all what I expected.

That's worth printing up on a t-shirt.

;D ;D ;D

POTD!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2166 on: 11 February, 2012, 12:10:36 pm »
Currently watching...

Monty Python And The Holy Grail.

It just keeps getting better.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #2167 on: 11 February, 2012, 03:25:37 pm »
The Pillow Book.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2168 on: 11 February, 2012, 03:42:09 pm »
Moon

Ye olde worlde minature model special effects ftw   :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2169 on: 11 February, 2012, 06:50:22 pm »
Currently watching "Brighton Rock". The 2010 version, not the proper one. And it's not the book either.

We shall see.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

fuzzy

« Reply #2170 on: 11 February, 2012, 06:53:02 pm »

Yebbut Keira Knightley looks almost identical and she wouldn't struggle with the accent.  Stephen Rea was good but lets himself down in the tube station for pronouncing "lever" the US way  :facepalm:

They are similar but not that close a resemblance. Even I could see that it wasn't PadmĂ©  but her hand maiden SabĂ© in 'The Phantom Menace'.

rogerzilla

« Reply #2171 on: 11 February, 2012, 10:16:15 pm »
Yeah, that really spoilt an otherwise skilfully-plotted and cast film  ;D

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2172 on: 11 February, 2012, 10:28:33 pm »
Currently watching "Brighton Rock". The 2010 version, not the proper one. And it's not the book either.

We shall see.

I saw the black and white version on tv within the last fortnight and then the 2010 version a few days later, also on tv.  Although the 2010 version was ok, I much preferred the older version; it seemed more atmospheric.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2173 on: 11 February, 2012, 11:13:14 pm »
The Bourne Supremacy on Blu-Ray. Like being in the cinema.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2174 on: 11 February, 2012, 11:28:42 pm »
Cell 211. Spanish prison drama. Was ok, but imo The Escapist with Brian Cox is much better.

Frere