Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950623 times)

spindrift

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2900 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:59:33 am »
Leaving, a marital breakdown drama with Kristin Scott Thomas. She's always watchable, and you see a lot of her in this film, and its well staged but you don't really get a handle on her character. I recognised the Spanish guy so looked him up and of course he's the baddie in Dirty Pretty Things.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2901 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:05:04 am »
Fracture, last night starring Anthony-nasty-bastard-wife-murdering-Hopkins and the lovely Ryan-prosecuting-counsel-Gosling. Excellent film. "Gripping", one is tempted to say, and indeed I have.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2902 on: 16 January, 2013, 12:46:42 pm »
Intruders - half English, half Spanish horror/drama with Clive Owen. Has spectacularly poor reviews, but I quite enjoyed it - I find most so-called horror films silly to the point of hilarity, but this one managed to garner some real involvement for some reason.

On the subject of "horror" films, Let The Right One In is the best I've seen recently, a Swedish film with a vampire, with ponderous, eerie quality Scandinavian films seem to have. The funniest is The Cabin In The Woods - this is absolutely hilarious, and an absolute must-see. Ignore all the bad reviews, they have all completely and utterly missed the point, this is parody from start to finish. With a title like that, it has to be, but it seems most people can't work it out unless you fill the film with one-liners.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2903 on: 16 January, 2013, 03:50:29 pm »
Three Colours: Red.  Strongest film in a profound trilogy.  Well worth taking the time to experience and reflect on.
I used to think Red was the best of the three. It definitely provides closure (& Irene Jacob is gorgeous). However, now I have seen them all umpteen times, I think Blue is by far the most powerful of the three. The editing really defines the film's moments and the music really fits the emotion. Binoche is superb and really pulls off the feeling of loss and betrayal and how it can be so devastating.

I'm planning on buying the boxset, so will have a chance to experience and reevaluate.  White wad the weakest of the three (perhaps because I struggled with the pettiness of the lead male - I couldn't see what his ex wife had done that motivated such extreme a revenge) but still more meaningful than many films coming out these days.  That sounds dangerously like "they don't make them like they used to".

« Reply #2904 on: 16 January, 2013, 03:52:02 pm »
Fracture, last night starring Anthony-nasty-bastard-wife-murdering-Hopkins and the lovely Ryan-prosecuting-counsel-Gosling. Excellent film. "Gripping", one is tempted to say, and indeed I have.

We saw that, and mostly agree it was good, except that we weren’t sure about Hopkins’ character being caught out like that at the end given that he was supposed to be so clever. Still, I suppose everyone makes mistakes and that was his…

« Reply #2905 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:27:03 pm »
Three Colours: Red.  Strongest film in a profound trilogy.  Well worth taking the time to experience and reflect on.
I used to think Red was the best of the three. It definitely provides closure (& Irene Jacob is gorgeous). However, now I have seen them all umpteen times, I think Blue is by far the most powerful of the three...
I'm planning on buying the boxset, so will have a chance to experience and reevaluate.  White wad the weakest of the three (perhaps because I struggled with the pettiness of the lead male - I couldn't see what his ex wife had done that motivated such extreme a revenge) but still more meaningful than many films coming out these days.  That sounds dangerously like "they don't make them like they used to".
Blue uses the title colour to best effect. White is a useful history lesson following the collapse of communism in Poland in '89, but yes, I agree it lacks the depth of the other two. Red is very sumptuous. Have you seen The Double Life of Veronique?

BTW, in White, the lead female humiliates the lead male in court by asking for an annulment on the grounds of non-consumation thus publicly mocking him, leaves him penniless and even takes the Polish FSO car. Later she sets fire to her salon saying she will call the police and say it was him so she can be rid of him. His revenge, though extreme, is perhaps understandable & even he seems to regret it at the end.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2906 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:09:10 pm »
Not for the first time, American Pie.  It's not deep, it's not refined, you won't learn anything from watching it, but it is exceptionally funny and very well acted, particularly the scene with Finch and Stifler's Mom.  Surprisingly, the last cinema release (American Reunion) was almost as good, although I have studiously avoided the straight-to-video spinoffs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

spindrift

« Reply #2907 on: 19 January, 2013, 04:09:42 pm »
The Cabin In The Woods is the best film I've seen for ages, it's pretty good for the first hour and then goes gloriously bonkers. Best just enjoy it and not think about it too much.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2908 on: 19 January, 2013, 04:25:41 pm »
Dredd, the new one with Karl Urban. Husband said that 5 minutes in that it was already closer to its Graphic Novel version. Beautifully shot, great cast but it was so disappointing. Nearly as bad as Bourne Legacy.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2909 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:50:20 pm »
I Love You Phillip Morris.  I sat through it thinking I should be enjoying it more than I was.  Jim Carey is flambouyant, a strange mix of serious Carey and zany Carey.  The kind of role that makes one worry he is going the way of Robin Williams, who annoys the bejesus out of me.  Ewan McGregor is rubbish in it - needs a better voice coach as his US accent is pish.

« Reply #2910 on: 20 January, 2013, 09:22:52 pm »
Just watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Feel like I've been run over by a bulldozer.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2911 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:32:38 pm »
Watching Thelma and Louise for the first time....
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2912 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:39:55 pm »
Stargate Continuum.

I thought I'd seen all of the SG1 universe, but this one sneaked past unnoticed.

More of the same not-taking-itself-too-seriously stuff, and it handwaved over what might potentially have been an interesting story in the last 5 minutes but...

(click to show/hide)

What's not to like?

LindaG

« Reply #2913 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:43:31 pm »
In Which We Serve. You can't talk about the Italians like that any more.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2914 on: 21 January, 2013, 12:48:02 am »
In Which We Serve. You can't talk about the Italians like that any more.

Great film, an all time favourite.

Jakob

« Reply #2915 on: 21 January, 2013, 08:07:27 am »
Seven Psychopaths. Quite entertaining and Sam Rockwell is quite good in it.

« Reply #2916 on: 21 January, 2013, 10:35:37 am »
I saw In Which We Serve, too.  Never mind you can't talk about Italians like that, anymore, Linda; nobody talks like any of them anymore.  I loved it as I love most black and white films.  Glorious propaganda.  I wonder how it felt for Celia Johnson in her first film role to be married to Noel Coward?  Richard Attenborough was also in his first role I think and did really well using only his face.

fuzzy

« Reply #2917 on: 21 January, 2013, 01:12:58 pm »
I revisited Hot Fuzz a couple of nights ago. We had a friend from Chicago staying over and she saw we had Shaun of thr dead which she said she liked. We offered Hot Fuzz as a suggestion.

I think she bust a gut ;D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2918 on: 21 January, 2013, 04:34:27 pm »
Sumsara. It's quite amazingly shot and a great insight into the world today. Needs to be put into a time capsule.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2919 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:47:01 pm »
I revisited Hot Fuzz a couple of nights ago. We had a friend from Chicago staying over and she saw we had Shaun of thr dead which she said she liked. We offered Hot Fuzz as a suggestion.

I think she bust a gut ;D

I like Shaun of the Dead  a lot but Hot Fuzz is way more fun (for me).

LindaG

« Reply #2920 on: 23 January, 2013, 02:04:34 pm »
Seven Psychopaths. Quite entertaining and Sam Rockwell is quite good in it.

Ooh I might take Crusty to see that tonight.  But I'd quite like to see 'Flight' as well.

Choices, choices.

And I really ought to see 'The Hobbit' while I've got the chance.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2921 on: 23 January, 2013, 02:24:34 pm »
Logan's Run

Classic 70s sci-fi cheese, but with added Jenny Agutter ;D

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2922 on: 23 January, 2013, 02:50:28 pm »
Hed Wyn

About Ellis Evans, the poet from Trawsfynydd who won the chair at the 1917 Birkenhead Eisteddfod but had been killed a month earlier at Passchendaele. A very moving film.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2923 on: 23 January, 2013, 02:55:42 pm »
Atáme - funny, and a bit weird.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LEE

« Reply #2924 on: 23 January, 2013, 03:34:49 pm »
Logan's Run

Classic 70s sci-fi cheese, but with added Jenny Agutter ;D

I remember watching Logan's Run and thinking it was a great idea.  I was young at the time. 

It's seemed like a bad idea for 20 years now.