Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950795 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3075 on: 03 March, 2013, 09:28:41 pm »
We've just watched Rocky too. I've seen it several times before but it was my son's first time. He loved it. The boy has taste. Great film.

We also watched Excalibur this morning, which was one of my top two or three most-watched films when I was his age. Bonkers but brilliant. A bit dated in some respects but still the best cinematic telling of the Arthurian legend.

d.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3076 on: 03 March, 2013, 09:32:22 pm »
Taxidermia. Was expecting weird and I wasn't disappointed there!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3077 on: 05 March, 2013, 06:36:29 am »
Red Dawn. Actually really enjoyed it but that might have been more circumstance than the actual film.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

fuzzy

« Reply #3078 on: 05 March, 2013, 09:13:30 am »
The Tourist.

Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp, Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton, Rufus Sewell and Steven Berkoff doing his Bad Guy thaing.

SWMBO and I enjoyed it though we had the 'reveal' some time before the end.

Angelina and venice. What's not to like?

Hillbilly

« Reply #3079 on: 05 March, 2013, 09:50:55 pm »
Holy Motors.

Holy moly, what the hell have I just watched? I can't even begin to process this one.

citoyen

« Reply #3080 on: 06 March, 2013, 12:14:28 pm »
Holy Motors.

Holy moly, what the hell have I just watched? I can't even begin to process this one.

I was intrigued so I looked it up. Ah... Leos Carax. That would explain your reaction.

d.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3081 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:14:53 pm »
X-Men First Class - enjoyed it in the cinema, less so on a rewatch.

Formula looks tired, despite reboot, although enlivened by some nice touches and performances from a good cast.

« Reply #3082 on: 07 March, 2013, 01:14:20 pm »
The Woman in Black

Quite reasonable really. Also the spooky house on a remote Scottish island cut off at high tide is actually in the middle of a village down the road from me in Northamptonshire.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3083 on: 09 March, 2013, 10:13:49 pm »
Last night we started watching Paranorman, but it was just a bit too weird, so switched to Ice Age Continental Drift, which we enjoyed.  Tonight it is The Immortals. If your king of movie is one where everyone wears weird headwear, has a plot that a school child would write and the trees are the best actors, then this is for you.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3084 on: 09 March, 2013, 11:40:27 pm »
Just watched The Grey.

Missus Sox got fed up with it half-way through and went to bed.

I was quite drawn into it, and having just read the user reviews on IMDB think it might repay a second viewing at some point.

It's a lot deeper than man vs wilderness, which on first inspection is what it appears to be.

God on yer Liam Neeson, keep up the good work (well, except the A-Team, anyway).

Jakob

« Reply #3085 on: 10 March, 2013, 06:08:29 am »

God on yer Liam Neeson, keep up the good work (well, except the A-Team, anyway).

Uhmm. Taken 2? Battleship? Wrath of the Titans?

His list of shitty movies is quite impressive.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #3086 on: 10 March, 2013, 08:41:51 am »
The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens, looks a tad dated now but well worth a look.

fuzzy

« Reply #3087 on: 11 March, 2013, 10:02:24 am »
Made in Dagenham.

A very good film.

« Reply #3088 on: 11 March, 2013, 11:07:16 pm »

Uhmm. Taken 2? Battleship? Wrath of the Titans?

His list of shitty movies is quite impressive.

Oh, wasn't aware he was in so many bad ones. I'll add them to my list of avoid.

Just watched Up.

Thouroughly intruiging !

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3089 on: 12 March, 2013, 09:44:01 pm »
Made in Dagenham.

A very good film.

I watched that with my husband, seen it before but we both enjoyed it very much.

Watched Rocky 2 and loved it. Excruciatingly powerful scenes in the ring and has wonderful heart. They don't make films like that anymore.

LindaG

« Reply #3090 on: 13 March, 2013, 10:26:48 pm »
The Wish.

In Japanese with  subtitles.

One of those films with no taint of Hollywood whatsoever. Two children whose parents have split up trying to deal with the fallout. Gentle and magical.

red marley

« Reply #3091 on: 13 March, 2013, 10:33:52 pm »
Made in Dagenham.

A very good film.

I watched that with my husband, seen it before but we both enjoyed it very much.

Now that's how I like my feelgood movies - a cause worth fighting for, pantomime baddies and some classic Barbara Castle moments.

LindaG

« Reply #3092 on: 14 March, 2013, 10:27:03 am »
Habemas Papam.  (We Have A Pope, tbc).

Very funny, very quirky film, with a surprise ending.  I don't think I'd watch it again. 

But I might.

If you've ever had anything to do with the dressing-up, ritual and high camp of church there are bits in this that are just hilarious.

This film may have been more prophetic than it was intended to be!

Recommended to all who have an interest in matters Catholic, just at the moment.

You have to wonder, having seen this film, exactly why Ratzinger had had enough.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #3093 on: 14 March, 2013, 05:33:23 pm »
Micmacs (French film, was on Film4 a couple of nights ago). Bizarre, funny, clever, great set pieces, great characters.

« Reply #3094 on: 14 March, 2013, 10:08:58 pm »
Just watched End Of Days.

Not half bad (if you can accept Arnold Schwarzenneger taking on Beelzebub with an Uzi 9 mm)

Hoh hum.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3095 on: 15 March, 2013, 10:30:29 am »
Broken City; solid and stolid political crime thriller.  Ok but nothing too world shaking.

Robot & Frank; low key but remarkably good and quite moving in places.  Avoids over sentimentality despite the subject and doesn’t under or overstate the issues that it raises.

« Reply #3096 on: 16 March, 2013, 03:54:59 pm »
Priest, which I think was better than its critical reception implied.  The imagery and footography was certainly impressive, but the storyline and characters were a bit predictable.

(click to show/hide)

Overall I think it was well done, and worth seeing for the cinematography.  They could have been a bit more original with some of the ideas, but what's been done is impressive, just lacking originality, too much of what's shown having been done before, not always better, but this new version isn't always distinct enough.  A shame really, with the money they clearly spent on it, it could have been a very successful blockbuster with a more carefully written and thought out script.
Actually, it is rocket science.

citoyen

« Reply #3097 on: 16 March, 2013, 10:07:08 pm »
Source Code

Been meaning to see this for ages and glad I finally go round to it. Fantastic. Loved it. Trying not to think too hard about it now though, because I'll only expose the flaws and spoil my enjoyment...

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #3098 on: 17 March, 2013, 02:44:39 pm »
I just watched Burn After Reading, which definitely has it's very good bits.  It's a mixture of political thriller and sex farce, with a cast of some very well known actors, possibly a better set than the movie deserves.  There's not a vast amount of story to it, it's mostly set ups for some other events in the film, but it does kind of work.

(click to show/hide)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3099 on: 17 March, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »
We Need to Talk About Kevin. A not bad adaptation of the book.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.