Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950729 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3675 on: 21 November, 2013, 01:09:34 am »
Born on the 4th of July.

It deserved its Oscar.

Oh yes, I caught that at the weekend too.
Never seen it before, and Tom Cruise does a terrific job of keeping up the intensity and agony of it all.
Garry Broad

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3676 on: 21 November, 2013, 08:28:47 am »
I finally got around to watching "World War Z"

Its good, isn't it?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jakob

« Reply #3677 on: 22 November, 2013, 12:47:17 am »

Its good, isn't it?

It depends:I reckon it's decent if you haven't read the book. It's utter trash if you have and expect something remotely like it.

« Reply #3678 on: 22 November, 2013, 01:27:32 am »
Haven't seen a Mike Leigh film for years, and lost touch with what he's up to these days, but I caught 'Another Year' -[2010] on Film4 this evening.
And what a masterpiece. Beautifully filmed, beautifully acted and showered with much hilarity and poignancy in equal measures. Brilliant.
Garry Broad

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3679 on: 22 November, 2013, 07:34:29 am »

Its good, isn't it?

It depends:I reckon it's decent if you haven't read the book. It's utter trash if you have and expect something remotely like it.

I deffo fall into the former camp, then.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3680 on: 22 November, 2013, 09:00:23 am »
OMFG THE HUNGER GAMES CATCHING FIRE OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

And in less excitable teenager fashion, we really liked it, every bit as good as the trailers teased, pretty true to the books, cut out nothing important, the additions all added a certain something (Sutherland, mostly) and we're on tenterhooks for the next one.

« Reply #3681 on: 22 November, 2013, 09:07:19 am »
Me too me too.

I loved it. OMG OMG OMG!!!!

Have you read the 3rd book? I have :) Thought it was really true to the books too, can't wait for the next film, I'm also on tenterhooks.

« Reply #3682 on: 22 November, 2013, 09:10:11 am »
Oh yes.

(click to show/hide)

ian

« Reply #3683 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:26:10 am »

Its good, isn't it?

I thought the book was a bit shit (they never, ever put my quotes on the movie posters) and much preferred the movie. Generally, I'm not scared of zombies because they're the crappest of the monster fraternity. Anything you can outrun on a poorly assembled Halford's bicycle isn't worth worrying about. But they were speedy zombies, which is a lot better. You'd need a better class of bicycle to outrun those. Or possibly a hill and a Waitrose shopping trolley (they have brakes for the bottom of the hill, Tesco ones don't and there's no point escaping zombie peril and then breaking your head on a wall).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3684 on: 22 November, 2013, 12:27:38 pm »
Haven't seen a Mike Leigh film for years, and lost touch with what he's up to these days, but I caught 'Another Year' -[2010] on Film4 this evening.
And what a masterpiece. Beautifully filmed, beautifully acted and showered with much hilarity and poignancy in equal measures. Brilliant.

I still remember driving home from the cinema with my wife after seeing that. We both loved it but were too affected by the film to be able to talk about it. Lesley Manville should have got every award going for her performance.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3685 on: 23 November, 2013, 12:11:26 am »
The Hunger Games.

Never read the book, so it was good to have it unfurl in front of me. The frocks were stupendous, and the archery.

(click to show/hide)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3686 on: 23 November, 2013, 08:02:02 am »

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

/Hunger Games Nerd

Jakob

« Reply #3687 on: 26 November, 2013, 09:06:21 am »
Gravity. Only me and my wife in the cinema!
Best and most visually beautiful film I've seen in a long time...and that's despite Sandra Bullocks constant whimpering.

VFX were as flawless as they get (Although I also know they spent a *very* long time on them). It's a shoe-in for the Oscar.

The destruction of the ISS is one of the single best VFX shots I've ever seen.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3688 on: 26 November, 2013, 09:15:58 am »
I saw the second Hunger Games film on Saturday and found it a bit flat.  I thought it was well made and the performances were good (new characters well casted for the most part).

I think the problem I had with it was that the second book (and therefore the film, which was a fair adaptation of the book) proceeds with Katniss not knowing what's going on - having read the book and knowing the plot, it worked less well for me, at least the first time around.

I enjoyed the first film a lot more as I had no idea what was going to happen and I think I would have enjoyed this one a lot more too had I been similarly unaware of the plot.

hillbilly

« Reply #3689 on: 30 November, 2013, 11:11:01 am »
Zazie dans le Metro.  A surreal film from the 60s that I've been meaning to watch for 20 years, but never got around to it (we were due to show it at the film society at university, but it didn't get sent by the distributor and in the end we watched Orphee - no bad switch).  The whole film makes no sense, but has a playful energy that is difficult to resist.  Judged by today's standards, some of the interaction of the child with the adults is a bit close to the bone (gone are the days when kiddy fiddlers are included for comic effect) but on the whole it stands as a film.

Even better, the DVD came with "Vive la Tour!" by Louise Malle.  For those that haven't seen this great little homage to the Tour de France, enjoy:

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=21306164&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=21306164&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Ruth

« Reply #3690 on: 01 December, 2013, 07:30:08 pm »
Sister Act, on the telly.  It's an awful, awful film. 

I enjoyed it very much and it definitely passes the Bechdel test.  Entertaining and undemanding.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3691 on: 01 December, 2013, 08:43:46 pm »
It's one of Granny Annie's favourites :D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3692 on: 01 December, 2013, 09:21:02 pm »
Attack Of The Clones with the kids.  Too much CGI by half and some cringeworthy acting, redeemed by Natalie Portman in a somewhat distressed skin-tight outfit.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3693 on: 01 December, 2013, 09:30:35 pm »
A thing called Immortal, mainly from curiosity.  Daft story quite well done - 80% CGI, 20% human. Oddly satisfying.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruth

« Reply #3694 on: 01 December, 2013, 09:35:16 pm »
Of Gods And Men is on at 10pm on Channel 5 tonight, marvellous.  I really want to see that.

« Reply #3695 on: 01 December, 2013, 09:42:28 pm »
Of Gods And Men is on at 10pm on Channel 5 tonight, marvellous.  I really want to see that.

BBC 4 if you're watching it ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3696 on: 02 December, 2013, 10:52:56 am »
Zazie dans le Metro.  A surreal film from the 60s that I've been meaning to watch for 20 years, but never got around to it

I love that film! It's about 20 years since I watched it, funnily enough - I borrowed it from the university French department film library. The book is supposed to be very good too but I've never read it.

Even better, the DVD came with "Vive la Tour!" by Louise Malle.  For those that haven't seen this great little homage to the Tour de France, enjoy:

Excellent!  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3697 on: 02 December, 2013, 10:58:50 am »
Yes, thanks, Billy.  I know we hope for a "cleaner" race, these days, but that film is somehow more like I imagine the "real" TdeF.  It all looks very polished these days.  I loved the bit in the Pyrenees - non-comedy off-road!

Ruth

« Reply #3698 on: 02 December, 2013, 10:59:44 am »

It was excellent.  Very human.  Very moving.  An honourable and thoughtful treatment of an interesting series of events.

A group of Catholic brothers living peacefully alongside Muslim Algerian villagers find themselves caught up in a civil war.  An exploration of faith and religion, good and bad. 

« Reply #3699 on: 02 December, 2013, 12:11:57 pm »

It was excellent.  Very human.  Very moving.  An honourable and thoughtful treatment of an interesting series of events.

A group of Catholic brothers living peacefully alongside Muslim Algerian villagers find themselves caught up in a civil war.  An exploration of faith and religion, good and bad.

I saw that at the cinema about 3 years ago.  A very good film.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark