Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950741 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3850 on: 08 January, 2014, 11:37:41 am »
The first bit of 'Worlds End'.  A friend came for tea and brought the DVD round to watch, but I was so bored I asked him to make it stop.  He made it stop.

Thank goodness.  Is it supposed to be funny?

Yes and no. I think the first part isn't actually supposed to be all that funny. In fact, it's a bit sad, the way Gary is clinging to the past while all his friends have moved on. I must admit, I wasn't convinced at first, and after about half an hour of it was starting to wonder how it fitted into the trilogy, apparently being nothing at all like Shaun Of The Dead or Hot Fuzz...

But when it kicks off, it really kicks off. I won't say any more than that, but I would say it is worth giving it another chance. I really enjoyed it. I would even go so far as to say I preferred it to Shaun Of The Dead, though Hot Fuzz is still my favourite of the trilogy.
I didn't choose it, and can have trouble maintaining focus for a whole film (I often don't really watch, hence I don't like Breaking Bad) but like citoyen, it really won me over. I think I too prefer it to SotD.

fuzzy

« Reply #3851 on: 08 January, 2014, 12:02:55 pm »
The first bit of 'Worlds End'.  A friend came for tea and brought the DVD round to watch, but I was so bored I asked him to make it stop.  He made it stop.

Yes and no. I think the first part isn't actually supposed to be all that funny. In fact, it's a bit sad, the way Gary is clinging to the past while all his friends have moved on. I must admit, I wasn't convinced at first, and after about half an hour of it was starting to wonder how it fitted into the trilogy, apparently being nothing at all like Shaun Of The Dead or Hot Fuzz...

But when it kicks off, it really kicks off. I won't say any more than that, but I would say it is worth giving it another chance. I really enjoyed it. I would even go so far as to say I preferred it to Shaun Of The Dead, though Hot Fuzz is still my favourite of the trilogy.
I didn't choose it, and can have trouble maintaining focus for a whole film (I often don't really watch, hence I don't like Breaking Bad) but like citoyen, it really won me over. I think I too prefer it to SotD.

My Cornetto pecking order is thus-

Hot Fuzz
Shaun of the Dead
Worlds End.

All are films with very funny moments but HF is an absolute classic of British comedy.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3852 on: 08 January, 2014, 02:58:05 pm »

My Cornetto pecking order is thus-

Hot Fuzz
Shaun of the Dead
Worlds End.

All are films with very funny moments but HF is an absolute classic of British comedy.

+ Massive agreement on your ranking and comments

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3853 on: 08 January, 2014, 03:44:32 pm »
(I often don't really watch, hence I don't like Breaking Bad)

;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #3854 on: 09 January, 2014, 08:30:55 am »
The Man Who Fell To Earth.

Do I need to partake of recreational narcotics for it to make sense?

Nice to see unshaved bits for a change though.

spindrift

« Reply #3855 on: 09 January, 2014, 01:57:47 pm »
American Hustle. Everyone else loved it, I thought it was a mess, it was ripping off Scorcese all the time, right down to De Niro pimping himself out on yet another role that exploits him as a shady criminal, and Jermy Renners stupid squished nose rodent face doesn't help.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3856 on: 09 January, 2014, 02:10:15 pm »

I mentioned this a while ago.  I don't recommend trying to follow it if you've got a fever.

Having a thing for David Bowie probably helps, though.

Chris S

« Reply #3857 on: 09 January, 2014, 08:18:23 pm »
Batman Begins

(click to show/hide)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3858 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:30:47 pm »

I mentioned this a while ago.  I don't recommend trying to follow it if you've got a fever.

Hasn't everyone got a thing for David Bowie?
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3859 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:36:40 pm »

I think that only applied up to the mid to late 70s .  Those of us whose introduction to David Bowie was via the film Labyrinth found it a bit more difficult (unless of course we were particularly interested in giant testes).

fuzzy

« Reply #3860 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:19:06 am »

Erm.. no ???

He's alright and I like some of his stuff but he's not a must hear artist.

citoyen

« Reply #3861 on: 10 January, 2014, 11:31:33 am »
he's not a must hear artist.

So wrong. So, so wrong. <shakes head in disappointment>

I confess to having a thing for Bowie. Yes, I would gay up for him.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3862 on: 12 January, 2014, 10:13:10 am »
Gravity, in the cinema of my childhood and teenage years.  2D.  I don't think Pock is ready for 3D yet.

S'good, innit?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3863 on: 12 January, 2014, 11:31:19 am »
Rear Window.

It's worth seeing these old films now and again to remind youself how much craft and skill has been replaced by wizzbangs.
It is simpler than it looks.

Ruth

« Reply #3864 on: 12 January, 2014, 02:53:10 pm »
Rear Window.

It's worth seeing these old films now and again to remind youself how much craft and skill has been replaced by wizzbangs.

That is one of my favourite films. And Grace Kelly makes the best entrance EVER.

fuzzy

« Reply #3865 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:55:13 am »
Burke and Hare (Pegg and Serkis).

A good laugh from iffy subject matter. Great cameos from the likes of Christopher Lee, Ronnie Corbett etc.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3866 on: 13 January, 2014, 12:34:14 pm »

A good laugh from iffy subject matter. Great cameos from the likes of Christopher Lee, Ronnie Corbett etc.

Paul Whitehouse and Robert Webb too!
Loved it :).
Pen Pusher

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3867 on: 13 January, 2014, 01:06:51 pm »
Fitzcarraldo. Klaus Kinski and Claudia Cardinale. Delightful.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3868 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:24:08 pm »
Cadillac Records on TV last night. The story of Chess Records. Not a bad film and Beyonnce does a fine turn as Etta James - great rendition of I'd rather go blind.

http://youtu.be/Oph377VI36w
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

spindrift

« Reply #3869 on: 13 January, 2014, 05:37:05 pm »
12 Years A Slave.

Fassbender over-acts, Brad Pitt does his Aldo Raine accent and is an utterly implausible character, the beatings and whippings are indulgent and serve as a kind of titillation, the script was wonky and the plot was never believable. I hated it like I hated Shame, Steve McQueen has done shit since The Magnificent Seven.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3870 on: 13 January, 2014, 05:40:19 pm »

Paul Whitehouse and Robert Webb too!
Loved it :).
Bill Bailey too (and  Christopher Lee who I think must be required by law for British films)
It was a bit weird, but I enjoyed it. I got a bit distracted spotting the cameo actors :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

fuzzy

« Reply #3871 on: 14 January, 2014, 09:15:20 am »
A Sunday in hell (at last).

A fantastic film for lovers of the sport.

Rare steak and rice for breakfast.

Merckx, De Vlaeminck, Maertens, Kuypers, Moser :thumbsup:

Some serious sideburns going on in the peleton. Not a helmet (other than the odd hair net) in sight.

Mechanics riding on the roof of the cars, amongst the bikes to ensure speedy deployment.

The crap quality of the Eurovison footage that was broadcast live really gave atmosphere.

Jakob

« Reply #3872 on: 14 January, 2014, 09:40:35 am »
The Wolf of Wall Street.
First half is really good. Second half is very slow and makes the whole thing about 1 too long.

Di Caprio is amazing.

Chris S

« Reply #3873 on: 14 January, 2014, 09:44:13 am »
Dark Knight Rises.

(click to show/hide)

citoyen

« Reply #3874 on: 14 January, 2014, 09:59:31 am »