Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950673 times)

fuzzy

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5075 on: 23 April, 2015, 03:31:55 pm »
Bladerunner - The Final Cut. Fucking brilliant.

Why? Big Screen? Big Sound? The new cut? A combination of the three?

fuzzy

« Reply #5076 on: 25 April, 2015, 11:04:44 pm »
Planet Terror.

Not quite Bubba Ho Tep levels of being so crap it was great but getting damn close :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5077 on: 25 April, 2015, 11:20:12 pm »

Set up Teh Family to watch Blade Runner,  Some Special Cut a few months ago.

They were virtually asleep after 40 mins.

I still love it, but it is slow.
It is simpler than it looks.

fuzzy

« Reply #5078 on: 25 April, 2015, 11:29:12 pm »
I think that is part of the beauty of the film. The scenery combined with the dark, damp claustrophobia aligned to the pace of the action. You can sense that something is brewing but, instead of the modern crash followed by bang followed by wallop with the occasional seconds pause for breath, this film teases you.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5079 on: 26 April, 2015, 09:08:11 am »
Last night was a movie night, nachos, ribs and Penguins of Madagascar

It is great!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5080 on: 26 April, 2015, 05:04:29 pm »
The Hobbit (The final chunk, or whatever it's called).

So much action, so many hand-to-hand duels, so much running from, and into, orcs....that it gets a bit tedious and I started wishing for a bit of a break....then it ends.

Never in all of motion film history has there been such a long, drawn-out, build up to a big fight.

Peter Jackson's IT guys may now be able to CGI more combatants than ever before but they never match the epic, and horrific, "Death of Boromir" scene from the very first LOTR film. 
For me, one of cinema's great moments.

Brutal Stuff
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5081 on: 26 April, 2015, 08:22:23 pm »
I watched the last part of the Hobbit on a plane, a couple of weeks ago.

It was one of the worst films I've ever seen. Cliches? Oh yes! Piled on top of each other! Overdone stupidly improbable fantasy-cliche action scenes, pushed way past the point of boredom? In spades! Redoubled! Most of the bloody film! Completely misplaced references to other films (WTF is Dune doing in The Hobbit, for example?)? Very much so!

It's an enormous great huge heap of steaming shit. I kept fast-forwarding through chunks of it. It was only the horrified "surely it can't all be this bad" feeling which kept me watching at all. I fear there's been a whirring sound from Wolvercote cemetery ever since it was made public.

Peter Jackson went OTT in places in LOTR (e.g. the oversized oliphaunts & their Mad Max-style mahouts), but in The Hobbit, it looks to me, from my viewing of the last one, as if he's made an entire trilogy consisting of his worst mistakes from LOTR, increased by an order of magnitude. Perhaps this is what happens when nobody dares restrain him. His inner bad taste takes over.

I thought it'd not be worth watching when I found he was making it into three full-length films. It saddens me just how right I was. The book has the potential to be made into a nice film, but I'm afraid that now that will never happen, because Jackson has shat all over it, & the taint won't wash off.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5082 on: 26 April, 2015, 08:27:18 pm »
Best summed up by Dr Davis viz. "Hobbity nonse".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrew

« Reply #5083 on: 27 April, 2015, 08:50:39 am »
Still Life  Firstly, it's great to see Eddie Marsan front and centre. His is a face you'll probably know so well, even if the name is not familiar. In this film he shows the talent, the craftsmanship, that his years of supporting roles have taught him. He uses his distinctive face to it's best, conveying emotions with subtlety. In many respects, this is a story partly told through his face.

It's a simple, sensitive and unashamedly sentimental film. Some might think 'sentimental' is a criticism but it's a film about death and loneliness so it's going to sentimental. If you can't handle that then don't watch it!  The end is abrupt but also, in a sense, foreseeable. Necessary even. The final scene will have some thinking it mawkish, treacley manipulation, But it worked for me. I don't often cry in films but I did then. In fact, I was a weepy a number of times. As Marsan's face surveys the relics of yet another lonely death, it's impossible not to think of the life that person had and feel the sadness of them passing forgotten. That, for me, was this film's strength. Whatever these people are in death, their life's were as rich and as full as anyone’s. They lived, loved and breathed. Felt joys and pains as we all do.

One might feel there's a broader critique of 'broken Britain' in this film. I don't think so. It's aims are not in that direction. It's a film about death and life. It tells it's story not in a familiar direct dialogue driven narrative, but through expressions and observations. Visual vignettes, sometimes humorous, and 'still life' shots - of photographs, of peeled apples, or books propping up chairs. It aims to make you feel rather than think, intellectualise or even contextualise or rationalise. For that simplicity, it's effective and quite simply beautiful. It's a rare treat of a film and one that's found it's way into my favourites list.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5084 on: 27 April, 2015, 09:59:12 am »
I watched the last part of the Hobbit on a plane, a couple of weeks ago.

It was one of the worst films I've ever seen. Cliches? Oh yes! Piled on top of each other! Overdone stupidly improbable fantasy-cliche action scenes, pushed way past the point of boredom? In spades! Redoubled! Most of the bloody film! Completely misplaced references to other films (WTF is Dune doing in The Hobbit, for example?)? Very much so!

It's an enormous great huge heap of steaming shit. I kept fast-forwarding through chunks of it. It was only the horrified "surely it can't all be this bad" feeling which kept me watching at all. I fear there's been a whirring sound from Wolvercote cemetery ever since it was made public.

Peter Jackson went OTT in places in LOTR (e.g. the oversized oliphaunts & their Mad Max-style mahouts), but in The Hobbit, it looks to me, from my viewing of the last one, as if he's made an entire trilogy consisting of his worst mistakes from LOTR, increased by an order of magnitude. Perhaps this is what happens when nobody dares restrain him. His inner bad taste takes over.

I thought it'd not be worth watching when I found he was making it into three full-length films. It saddens me just how right I was. The book has the potential to be made into a nice film, but I'm afraid that now that will never happen, because Jackson has shat all over it, & the taint won't wash off.

I wouldn't argue with any of that.

Also I couldn't help noticing that, to be king of anywhere, it helps if you have chiselled features and a voice like Jeremy Clarkson reviewing a Ford Mustang.  Even the, otherwise potato-headed, Dwarves' leaders have Matinee idol looks.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5085 on: 27 April, 2015, 11:23:07 am »
.  Even the, otherwise potato-headed, Dwarves' leaders have Matinee idol looks.
Has anyone ever said Billy Connelly has Matinee idol looks?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5086 on: 27 April, 2015, 11:36:06 am »
.  Even the, otherwise potato-headed, Dwarves' leaders have Matinee idol looks.
Has anyone ever said Billy Connelly has Matinee idol looks?

Pamela Stephenson ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hillbilly

« Reply #5087 on: 27 April, 2015, 05:01:14 pm »
Warm Bodies

Not a film that is going to change your life, but it is a slightly different take on the zombie story that is mildly entertaining. 

Think Romeo and Juliet, but with brain eating and shuffling.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5088 on: 27 April, 2015, 05:03:15 pm »

It really does come good on a big screen. The new cut adds a couple of little bits that make the story even bleaker, in a way. I love Vangelis's music for this film, too.

hillbilly

« Reply #5089 on: 27 April, 2015, 05:11:41 pm »
Avengers: Age of Ultron

Basically, if you are a fan of the Marvel universe you are likely to like it, but not as much as Avengers Assemble. 

If not then it will befuddle the crap out of you, but at least the fight scenes should get you on the edge of your seat provided you are not old and confused by mayhem.  In which case, stick to Downton Abbey and Poldark, grandpappy.

Given the premise is established, it spent a long time setting up the premise.  And some of it variously felt like padding (anyone who says Hawkeye is a good character worth giving a background to is dead to me) or a lot was left of the cutting room floor (Falcon just appears at the end and the bit with Thor taking a dip was just a WTF is going on moment).

We spent too long after the film wondering if Whedon was getting out of the superhero film circuit at the right time or too late.  Despite being a fan of such fodder, I have to admit to getting fatigued by the House of Mouse's conveyor belt approach to wide ranging franchises (which doesn't bode well for my general lurve of Star Wars).

« Reply #5090 on: 27 April, 2015, 08:19:15 pm »
That's about it.

They are writing Hawkeye out of future films. He isn't that great a character. Maybe a different actor could have made something of it.

I didn't think it was as funny as AA - hard to beat "Puny God" and "Take away the suit and what are you?" "Billionaire philanthropist playboy genius." 

The action is pretty non-stop.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5091 on: 28 April, 2015, 08:11:10 am »
I believe I said something along the lines of "lets hope Hawkeye is not in the next one".  Lets face it, he make Arrow look like a Thespian, an manically happy Thesp at that.

Might visit the cinema next week, on my night for staying over, although tht will, no doubt, upset Mrs T as she likes that gendre of films (and TV shows, we have just worked our way through Daredevil, she avidly watches Arrow and The Flash)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5092 on: 28 April, 2015, 01:01:13 pm »
Last night was a movie night, nachos, ribs and Penguins of Madagascar

It is great!

Think I would've had something less exotic for dessert . . .

What film did you watch?  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5093 on: 28 April, 2015, 01:52:01 pm »
I watched Cloud Atlas yesterday while knackered, a bit hung-over (still) and with a high temperature – I already like the film but I think that state improved it.

« Reply #5094 on: 28 April, 2015, 04:53:18 pm »
Still Life  Firstly, it's great to see Eddie Marsan front and centre. His is a face you'll probably know so well, even if the name is not familiar. In this film he shows the talent, the craftsmanship, that his years of supporting roles have taught him. He uses his distinctive face to it's best, conveying emotions with subtlety. In many respects, this is a story partly told through his face.
Yeah, I like Eddie Marsan. He's long got lots of supporting roles, as he's a good, reliable, character actor.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ian

« Reply #5095 on: 30 April, 2015, 01:18:34 pm »
Avengers 2. I loved it. I thought the banter was pretty good (Thor still gets the best lines) and the action not quite as relentless as I'd anticipated, but relentless enough. Come on, you have a crowd of superheroes. Shit is going to happen.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5096 on: 30 April, 2015, 01:32:16 pm »
Mr. Turner.  Very entertaining: seemed a lot shorter than its 150 mins.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jakob

« Reply #5097 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:17:32 pm »
Air Canada had a very nice and up-to-date entertainment system, so:

Imitation Game Terrible VFX. The graphics of the planes and uboat were standout awful. Movie was decent enough, but seemed a bit overwrought. Certainly not Oscar material.

Exodus (Moses). Ridley Scotts worst film?. Very poor.

Expendables3: Does exactly what it says on the tin. Perfect no-brainer in-flight entertainment.

Wild. Not sure if this is (or will be) released in the UK. Girl is going downhill fast decides to do the Pacific Crest Trail hike, from the Mexican border up to the Canadian Border. Quite good.

« Reply #5098 on: 01 May, 2015, 11:15:33 am »
Wild. Not sure if this is (or will be) released in the UK. Girl is going downhill fast decides to do the Pacific Crest Trail hike, from the Mexican border up to the Canadian Border. Quite good.
I heard the radio adaptation on Radio 4 a couple of years ago.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5099 on: 03 May, 2015, 08:30:15 pm »
Never Let Me Go. A decent adaptation of the book.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.