Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 925953 times)

essexian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8600 on: 12 October, 2019, 07:51:20 am »
CBH and I took ourselves off to the new cinema in Stafford yesterday to see the film "Joker."

Now I will admit I know nothing of the franchise of which this film may, or indeed may not be a part as frankly, I have no real interest in such films. The same can be said about films like "Star Wars" (I saw the first in the cinema but haven't seen any of the rest), X Men (who?) and the like. So, why did I go? Well, CBH had seen some reviews which said it was good and er, it was the last day of my holiday and I was bored.... bored enough to spend £9 each on a ticket and £5 on a medium coke.... I mean WTF! £5!!!!

THE NEXT BIT CONTAINS SPOILERS....

Moving onto the film before this turns into a rant..... I am not a good cinema goer as peoples lack of manners and inability not to eat or talk for two hours gets right on my tits..... I can't decide whether it was one of the best films I have ever seen, or one of the worst. Yes, the acting was extremely good, the movie was well filmed and there were some extremely funny/horrible bits. However.... the story line was so predictable if I had been sitting in a ditch in Death Valley I would have seen what was about to happen coming along. There were no twists/turns/false moves to throw you off, no, it just plodded along at one pace. You knew what was going to happen on the train, to his mother and at the very end to the Wayne family. Why? Why write such a poor script????

Thus, I am confused over this film. I am glad we went but was it any good? I simply don't know.

« Reply #8601 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:50:14 am »
For me the script and narrative wasn't an issue.  There is only one thing in play - the steady mental deterioration of the (only) character, illuminated by the introduction of key facts in the script punctuated throughout the film and reinforced by the stunning visualisation and acting.  It's a very traditional linear narrative, which for me makes it all the more effective - as does the complete lack of (obvious) CGI and "action" scenes.

I tend to judge films by how often I look at my watch, how I feel as I walk out and then on reflection a couple of days later.  On that basis this was a very good film indeed.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #8602 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:25:31 am »
El Camino. 'twas ok.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8603 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:48:31 am »
Rather agreed with the Graun about that one - suspenseful and superfluous. And a good dose of "god, he's got fat/old/ill".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8604 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:52:09 am »
CBH and I took ourselves off to the new cinema in Stafford yesterday to see the film "Joker."

Now I will admit I know nothing of the franchise of which this film may, or indeed may not be a part as frankly, I have no real interest in such films.
[...]
However.... the story line was so predictable if I had been sitting in a ditch in Death Valley I would have seen what was about to happen coming along. There were no twists/turns/false moves to throw you off, no, it just plodded along at one pace. You knew what was going to happen on the train, to his mother and at the very end to the Wayne family. Why? Why write such a poor script????

I think this is the crux of your problem.  Everyone with experience of  a) superhero/villain origin stories in general  and  b) Batman specifically  already knows what's going to happen.  So it's all about the execution.  This one seems to approach things with a fair bit more subtlety than the traditional Act I plunge into a vat of ACID.

Personally I think the 1960s TV series was all the Batman we really needed, and the taking-things-too-seriously 1989 film was a terrible mistake that has been needlessly repeated ever since.

There seem to be signs that this one may be another Fight Club for the bottom half of the internet to revel in, which is another point against it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8605 on: 18 October, 2019, 09:42:36 am »
Rango, on Netflux. Fun.  Hard to believe that some of those actors produced those voices, particularly Bill Nighy.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8606 on: 18 October, 2019, 11:22:02 am »
Well we enjoyed El Camino quite a lot as it happens.  It's not to the standard of its forebear, but Breaking Bad was so damn good that's possibly always going to be a tough gig to follow.

It was just fine.  Nothing wrong with it, but nothing special either. 

Spoilery query
(click to show/hide)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8607 on: 18 October, 2019, 01:10:09 pm »
(click to show/hide)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8608 on: 18 October, 2019, 01:27:28 pm »
(click to show/hide)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #8609 on: 19 October, 2019, 09:20:38 am »
"Joker"
Anti-austerity in a can.

Some superb acting, interspersed with some excellent moving making. It was very good, but I will probably never watch it again. It's uncomfortable most of the way through, as you watch him suffer. I'm curious what the family with 2 young teenage kids sitting behind me was expecting. They may have left before it finished :p.

Extremely low on CGI...even less than I thought, so they must of have gone to town on set dressing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8610 on: 19 October, 2019, 01:26:10 pm »
The Laundromat, mainly to see what Netflux are being sued over.  A couple of amusing sketches in there but otherwise only interesting for the main revelation*. Certainly not on the level of Margin Call or The Big Short; conveys the sense of helplessness quite well, though.

(click to show/hide)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8611 on: 20 October, 2019, 05:48:35 pm »
Stan and Ollie.  Very good.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8612 on: 24 October, 2019, 09:20:30 am »
Joker

I enjoyed the first 45 mins and felt it went away with itself in the second 45. Left me a bit 'meh'.
Other half hated the first 45, found it depressing/upsetting, but 'enjoyed' the bloodbath.

Frankly, It could have done without the Batman sub-plot. It didn't add much that couldn't have been made with different devices. It just seemed forced and awkward. Phoenix was brilliant though, as an isolated bit of character acting, sublime.

ian

« Reply #8613 on: 28 October, 2019, 09:51:18 am »
Terminator: Dark Fate. I confess I had low expectations, the last couple have been immediately forgettable and everyone knows it would have been a better franchise if it wasn't a franchise and had stopped at the first sequel. That said, it was quite entertaining, nothing new, basically the greatest hits, a mash-up of first two movies. I was sort of hoping but not expecting Bad Arnie, which would have been better. Plenty of things go boom and there's a suitably stabby liquid metal baddie and Linda Hamilton has a big fuck-off bazooka and a splendidly poor attitude to our robotic friends from the future. It'll probably make the sad men who get angry about women in films angry, for bonus points. If you set your expectations to unsurprising, it's not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

My wife made me watch the Secret Life of Pets 2. I've not laughed so hard in quite a while.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8614 on: 28 October, 2019, 10:29:37 am »
Escape from the 'Liberty' Cinema - lovely Polish satire about censorship under communism, with occasional Mozart and a dash of Woody Allen. Definitely to be re-watched.

« Reply #8615 on: 02 November, 2019, 11:26:30 pm »
Magnus    Bio-pic/documentary of Norwegian chess prodigy. Excellent.  (Wowbagger - Its currently free on Prime)

« Reply #8616 on: 03 November, 2019, 08:31:23 am »
Ghostbusters - The rebooted one with an all female lead cast. I liked it. Not as funny as the original and a tad long but pretty good all the same. Don't look for any deep meaning its just a daft romp.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8617 on: 03 November, 2019, 08:52:15 am »
Netflux's simplified rehash of Shakespeare's Henry V, The King. Entertaining enough but couldn't help feeling they just wanted to get the blah-blah out of the way and have oodles of blokes in armour bashing the shit out of each other.

fuzzy

« Reply #8618 on: 03 November, 2019, 09:38:12 am »
Boy Erased https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7008872/

Not my usual fare but a good and thought provoking watch

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8619 on: 03 November, 2019, 01:20:00 pm »
Netflux's simplified rehash of Shakespeare's Henry V, The King. Entertaining enough but couldn't help feeling they just wanted to get the blah-blah out of the way and have oodles of blokes in armour bashing the shit out of each other.

Can't be as good as Dahling Kenny Branagh's version, coz I bet it lacked BRIAN BLESSED IN ARMOUR BASHING THE SHIT OUT OF BEASTLY FRENCH TYPES.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8620 on: 03 November, 2019, 02:12:28 pm »
The book of life.  As everyone knows, Mexico is the centre of the universe.
Best film I've seen since Lego Movie II.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8621 on: 03 November, 2019, 02:12:41 pm »

Can't be as good as Dahling Kenny Branagh's version, coz I bet it lacked BRIAN BLESSED IN ARMOUR BASHING THE SHIT OUT OF BEASTLY FRENCH TYPES.

That sounds well worth missing.

« Reply #8622 on: 03 November, 2019, 02:16:46 pm »

That sounds well worth missing.

Nah, the Branagh one is OK. Not as splendidly morale-boosting and martial as dear, dear Larry's, of course.

« Reply #8623 on: 03 November, 2019, 09:20:11 pm »
Get Out.

Very good thriller / Edgar Allen Poe-esque horror.  Kind of film that you can watch twice to discover more...

98% on RottenTomatoes.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8624 on: 09 November, 2019, 12:03:46 am »
A Grand Day Out.

A remastered version, for its 30th anniversary. Followed by a question and answer session with two Aardman chaps. And the opportunity to hold a real Gromit, as used in the films.

Cracking!
It is simpler than it looks.