Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950735 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10225 on: 28 October, 2023, 03:04:53 pm »
Ob-xkcd: xkcd://566

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10226 on: 28 October, 2023, 03:44:34 pm »
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #10227 on: 28 October, 2023, 08:49:08 pm »
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10228 on: 29 October, 2023, 10:51:30 am »
We watched the Matrix last night - we both spent the whole time saying how good it is.

Amazon Prime DE have the other Matrix films which neither of us have watched so we are going to give them a go!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10229 on: 29 October, 2023, 10:55:53 am »

Help! I'm trapped in a random-xkcd-browsing loop.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10230 on: 29 October, 2023, 11:33:53 am »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10231 on: 29 October, 2023, 04:31:11 pm »

Help! I'm trapped in a random-xkcd-browsing loop.

Could be worse... Tab Explosion  :demon:

Hey, it's dark all of a sudden!  ??? ??? ???

« Reply #10232 on: 02 November, 2023, 03:10:24 pm »
Lilo and Stich.
Which is a children's film, but was very good.

« Reply #10233 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:31:45 pm »
The Toll on Prime.
Bit bizarre, as I'd just selected it randomly from one of their "you might like this" suggestions on the FireTv box as I sat down on the turbo trainer. I thought I was going to watch a trashy horror -
When a young woman and her rideshare driver break down on a dark forest road, each sees the other as a threat. Strange phenomena begin occurring around them and they start to realize they’ve become trapped in the world of a terrifying supernatural being: the Toll Man.
Started to watch it, and it just didn't gel with that description, but was actually a very enjoyable black comedy based in Wales
An irresistibly clever, darkly-comic crime caper, reminiscent of the Coen brothers' finest work. ...  A man working solo in the quietest toll booth in Wales hides from a criminal past. As his past catches up with him, he enlists the help of local oddballs when police grow increasingly suspicious.
Quite a gentle film, despite having gangsters and killings, and probably more enjoyable than the one I thought I was going to watch.

Amazon had got the descriptions mixed up of two films of the same name that were released in the same year. Apparently the Welsh one was also released under the name "The Toll Booth" in the US.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10234 on: 05 November, 2023, 09:47:11 am »
Transformers a few days back; mainly out of curiosity, since the kids were long away by the time it came out so I couldn't go back then.  Quite entertaining, some emetic USPatriotic corn and whirling CGI that 13-year-old eyes might be able to follow but not mine.  Main attraction: the excellent John Turturro, who at his finest could give Alan Rickman a run for his money.

Might watch the first sequel, but not the second since it has the execrable Mark Wahlberg in it.

« Reply #10235 on: 05 November, 2023, 03:58:17 pm »
The Toll on Prime.
Bit bizarre, as I'd just selected it randomly from one of their "you might like this" suggestions on the FireTv box as I sat down on the turbo trainer. I thought I was going to watch a trashy horror -
When a young woman and her rideshare driver break down on a dark forest road, each sees the other as a threat. Strange phenomena begin occurring around them and they start to realize they’ve become trapped in the world of a terrifying supernatural being: the Toll Man.
Started to watch it, and it just didn't gel with that description, but was actually a very enjoyable black comedy based in Wales
An irresistibly clever, darkly-comic crime caper, reminiscent of the Coen brothers' finest work. ...  A man working solo in the quietest toll booth in Wales hides from a criminal past. As his past catches up with him, he enlists the help of local oddballs when police grow increasingly suspicious.
Quite a gentle film, despite having gangsters and killings, and probably more enjoyable than the one I thought I was going to watch.

Amazon had got the descriptions mixed up of two films of the same name that were released in the same year. Apparently the Welsh one was also released under the name "The Toll Booth" in the US.

Oh, yes. I watched that a few months ago. It's brilliantly bonkers.

My most recent film is Women Talking. It has a really clever way of addressing male violence against women without ever showing the assaults themselves. Inspired by the real life events of a Mennonite community in Bolivia, the actual film is mostly a cast of women sitting in a barn talking. For a film where not much actually happens, it's riveting.

« Reply #10236 on: 05 November, 2023, 04:14:47 pm »
Saw Killers of the Flower Moon yesterday. Jeez, could he not have told the story in a bit less time, maybe 90 mins or so? (Not helped in that I checked my watch after the first hour and half or so, to find that only 40 mins had actually passed)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10237 on: 08 November, 2023, 02:50:04 pm »
The Outfit on Netflux. Excellent.

« Reply #10238 on: 08 November, 2023, 02:57:02 pm »
Saw Killers of the Flower Moon yesterday. Jeez, could he not have told the story in a bit less time, maybe 90 mins or so? (Not helped in that I checked my watch after the first hour and half or so, to find that only 40 mins had actually passed)

It could have been 30 minutes shorter at least.  A lot of the 2-way dialogue shots were way too long without adding anything whatever - just Bobby's trademark endless repetition of the same phrase.  It's lazy editing.  Either Thelma has lost the plot or Marty doesn't listen and over-rules her in the edit suite.
The sound of one pannier flapping

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10239 on: 10 November, 2023, 02:19:45 pm »
It could have been 30 minutes shorter at least.

I'm struggling to remember the last film I saw that this didn't apply to.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10240 on: 10 November, 2023, 02:24:01 pm »
"I know where I'm going"

Remastered in 4K.
Some lovely shooting, and technically brilliant for the time. There is a dream sequence that is utterly fantastic.

(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10241 on: 10 November, 2023, 03:08:38 pm »
A wondrous 1964 B film entitled The Earth Dies Screaming in which the Earth, disappointingly, does nothing of the kind. A cast of ~10 non-speaking roles, most of whom are dead, a couple of extras dressed as silver robots and half-a-dozen hacks who must really have needed the work. One of them was Dennistoun Franklyn John Rose Price (q.v.), who was non-negligible back then. Immensely enjoyable.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10242 on: 15 November, 2023, 09:06:00 pm »

It could have been 30 minutes shorter at least.  A lot of the 2-way dialogue shots were way too long without adding anything whatever - just Bobby's trademark endless repetition of the same phrase.  It's lazy editing.  Either Thelma has lost the plot or Marty doesn't listen and over-rules her in the edit suite.

Off work today and had a couple of free tickets to the Vue that needed using up so we went to see it this afternoon. Not a terrible way to pass the time but yes, it really could have done with being a LOT shorter.

On the positive side, the Vue has been substantially refurbished since I last went there and the big comfy reclining seats made it a lot less of an ordeal than it could have been.

There were some good bits in the film. Lovely subtle performance from Lily Gladstone as Mollie, and Jesse Plemons was good as the FBI man. But Leo's gurning really started to grate long before the end, and De Niro's performance was one-note at best.

(click to show/hide)

I also found it a bit weird when they got to the courtroom scenes that they would have, for example, a witness describing in detail how a murder was carried out, followed by a flashback scene showing it happening. Yes, we understood what he was saying, thanks, and seeing it really adds nothing except confirming it was an accurate account. What's the point?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #10243 on: 16 November, 2023, 11:03:05 pm »
I think I've finally given up on the MCU. Couldn't rustle up the enthusiasm to see The Marvels, the trailers were uninspiring, and Captain Marvel only scraped into my consciousness because it was the filling in the Infinity War sandwich. With the exception of GOTG3 it's been a game of diminishing returns. No one survived an episode of She-Hulk and good god, how did anyone let Secret Invasion happen? Antman in the Multiverse. Sheesh. These things cost $300 million plus a pop.

« Reply #10244 on: 16 November, 2023, 11:12:55 pm »
I also found it a bit weird when they got to the courtroom scenes that they would have, for example, a witness describing in detail how a murder was carried out, followed by a flashback scene showing it happening. Yes, we understood what he was saying, thanks, and seeing it really adds nothing except confirming it was an accurate account. What's the point?

I think that courtroom scene near the end was a verbatim transcript from the actual court case, intended to add a bit of vérité.  I actually thought that bit worked quite well - DiCaprio is a good actor.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #10245 on: 21 November, 2023, 09:21:27 pm »
The Disaster Artist - it was excellent, having seen The Room.

Now watching Summer of Soul for at least the third time, because it really is the best.

« Reply #10246 on: 25 November, 2023, 05:35:52 pm »
Napoleon.
It's ok. My date, who had very little knowledge of the French revolution struggled to keep up as it skips happily along, with a non-aging Napoleon.
Phoenix mumbles his way through the whole thing and the cinematography is far from Ridleys usual standard.

Despite being 3 hours long, I was still moderately entertained, but it really really needs the rumoured directors cut to fill in the gaps.

On that note, I just bought the directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven, which makes it even better (than the previous extended version which was much better than the meddling initial theatric release)....so there's hope that he has enough material to salvage this one.

« Reply #10247 on: 25 November, 2023, 06:24:13 pm »
Dance First, a sort of biopic of Samuel Beckett.  We exited into a melée of fancy-dressed students, including two dressed as luminous white phalluses.  Excellent film, though.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10248 on: 25 November, 2023, 06:32:53 pm »
We watched the Matrix last night - we both spent the whole time saying how good it is.

Amazon Prime DE have the other Matrix films which neither of us have watched so we are going to give them a go!
Oh dear...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

HectoJ

• 45 to go
« Reply #10249 on: 25 November, 2023, 06:58:32 pm »
Recently watched The Ballad of Buster Skruggs on Netflix... Pretty good (if a bit depressing at parts)