Author Topic: Handlebar / stem for child stoker  (Read 4980 times)

Handlebar / stem for child stoker
« on: 30 March, 2008, 03:44:34 pm »

Daughter 1 is now big enough to be the stoker on our tandem if equipped with crank shorteners so the plan for this year is:
-  for me to ride to tandem with Daughter 1 as stoker
- daughter 2 sits and enjoys the ride in trailer
- let my wife ride solo

What would be your recommendation for a new set handlebar / stem so daughter 1 gets a more comfortable / less stretched position?

Re: Handlebar / stem for child stoker
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2008, 06:23:10 pm »
As my daughter is small for her age (5) and there was a long top tube on our kiddyback I have used a cycle speedway handlebar, which has given plenty of reach on a standard tandem stem - an LBS near here was selling them off for a tenner.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2008, 01:13:47 pm »
I use a long stem on the back and the stoker bars turned through 180 degrees. Both the children enjoy this as it puts them in an upright position (but still sheltered behind me) so they get a decent view.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2008, 02:44:28 pm »
As Zipperhead says - SJS stoker bars turned through 180 degrees and a long stem. This helps make the stoker feel more secure. If the stoker is very small/young then a 'cage' as per my posts in kidstuff.

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2008, 05:22:25 pm »

Daughter 1 is now big enough

Nic--out of curiosity, how tall is "big enough" in her case? I think our kid is big enough, but it's helpful to hear comparisons.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2008, 05:26:44 pm »

Daughter 1 is now big enough

Nic--out of curiosity, how tall is "big enough" in her case? I think our kid is big enough, but it's helpful to hear comparisons.

She is 1m22 tall. I think she is big enough. I am getting the tandem out now to get her to try it out. Nic

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2008, 05:28:13 pm »
Thanks--sounds like she's a bit taller, but only by a couple of inc--er, a few cm.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2008, 06:47:55 pm »
Those SJS Stoker bars would be the dog's danglies as a workaround for a stretched position.. Thanks guys.

However her legs are too short and even with a crank shortener from Santana or SJS it will not be suitable. Back to the drawing board to have a summer of family cycling and more patience.  :'(

Zipperhead

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:36:30 pm »
How about a set of kiddycranks?

If your frame is steel (and therefore the seat tube is about 531 sized) you're welcome to borrow mine.

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:52:27 pm »
How about a set of kiddycranks?

If your frame is steel (and therefore the seat tube is about 531 sized) you're welcome to borrow mine.

It's steel (531) as it's a galaxy twin. I have not considered the kiddy cranks as fitting them looked like a tricky job to me. How do you fit them to? It's very kind of you to let me borrow yours.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:54:13 pm »
SJS used to do an extra low seat mounting kit (not sure if they still do).

Zipperhead

« Reply #11 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:06:23 pm »
It's steel (531) as it's a galaxy twin. I have not considered the kiddy cranks as fitting them looked like a tricky job to me. How do you fit them to? It's very kind of you to let me borrow yours.

They're (mostly) pretty straightforward to fit.

Assuming that you have a crossover drive, then you take the chain ring off the left hand side and fit a second ring on the inside of the spider (I'm not sure what the BCD is on my chainset, I'll try and measure it). Then put the outer ring back on and hook the sync chain back up.

Once you've finished swearing, then the kiddycranks just bolt onto the stokers seat tube with four bolts. But it's a good idea to put some tape of some sort onto the tube so that it doesn't get scratched.

You can't put the kiddy cranks too low, unless the ring side on the kiddy cranks and below it are the same, otherwise the kiddy cranks and the stoker chainset will clash.

Finally just put the chain onto the kiddycranks (I keep a quick link in it).

I'll try and get round to the garage one evening this week to take it off and measure the spare ring.

When I do take it off or put it on, I normally put a couple of cable ties around the sync chain & rings to hold everything in alignment and stop the chain slipping off. It cuts down on the swearometer a little.

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2008, 08:43:18 pm »
I have seen a simple "cage" that worked well for a young child.

Upside down "drops" on normal stem

Second stem fitted to stoker seatpost

Second set of upturned drops on this stem

Two "lathed" broomsticks to connect, forming a nice cage, with lots of hand positions - even hands by side is possible!