Author Topic: Cycling Season  (Read 8473 times)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Cycling Season
« on: 28 October, 2010, 01:32:18 pm »
Is the official date for AUK season ending on the  the 31st Oct ? I need one more AAA event before the season closers. Thanks

border-rider

Re: Cycling Season
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:33:17 pm »
Yes

« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:33:30 pm »
Is the official date for AUK season ending on the  the 31st Oct ? I need one more AAA event before the season closers. Thanks

Yes, AIUI as long as you start a ride on 31st October (even if the first receipt is timed at 23:55) it counts for the current season.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:36:05 pm »
I understood that the Audax season finished at midnight 31/10 and several AUKs have hurried to ensure they finish a brevet by then.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:43:54 pm »
No, they were rushing to start one before midnight:-

DIY 600 Milton Keynes/Redditch to Wales: Oct 31st/Nov 1st

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:48:33 pm »
Thanks all ! Well the weather is looking good over the next few days so doing a  3 AAA 100km in the Pennines in the next day or two giving me 12 AAA points. Im taking my hack bike with the triple chainset as my new bike with the compact chainset is hard work in them hills. Maybe my last chance this year for grimping up them hills ?

« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »
12? Hope you're not aiming for the Altitude Award. It's 20 points now.

Audax Altitude Award

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:23:37 pm »
Says you need 12 points ? Are you avin a laugh lol. Is  that the new official web page for AUK ? Ive not seen that page before.

« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:32:18 pm »
12 "old" points or 20 "new" points.

Audax Altitude Awards

Old points were .25 AAA for each 250m climbing over the minimum requirement (1500m for a 100km ride).

So a 100km ride with 1800m climbing would have 300m of climbing over the minimum to qualify for AAA and therefore get 0.25 AAA.

New points are 0.25 AAA for each 250m  of climbing over the whole ride as long as it satisfies the minimum for AAA.

So a 100km ride with 1800m climbing will have 1.75 new AAA points.

AAA Points and Events

(Direct links drop the navbar from the left hand side).

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #9 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:54:45 pm »
Hi greenbank. 12 old points I think in one season. Im going of what the brevet card says or what is said on that particular event. The 20 AAA points is for over any period of time of what Im doing 12 AAA in one season.

« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:20:19 pm »
Old points are pre-2009, so any in 2009/10 will be New points.  All events should have been updated, but I imagine there might be some old perm cards with Old AAA points shown.

Regardless of what the brevet cards say, what do the AUK results list show you as having accumulated?

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #11 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:28:28 pm »
Hi phil  d. To date the AAA points I have acumalated this season have been the same in my results as the calender event / perm have advertised on the brevet card and AUK web site. Maybe I could fall short of my 12 AAA points this season then as all the results have not been validated to date as yet then ?

« Reply #12 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:34:42 pm »
I think  there might be some crossed wires here.  What we are saying is not that you'll fall short of 12, but that 12 is not now the number required for the AAA award.  That needs 20 now.  You don't have to earn them all in the same season, though I can see the challenge in achieving that (and indeed did it myself in 2005).

Some rides won't be validated until after the year end - that doesn't matter.  When you ride is what matters.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #13 on: 28 October, 2010, 04:02:47 pm »
Oh right! 20 is the new 12. I wasnt aware of that although I haven't done many AAA events over the last few years. Last I remember was events were going up and up with the AAA points due to GPS technology and counting contour lines on maps went redundant . So is that the reason 20 is now the new 12 then ?

« Reply #14 on: 28 October, 2010, 04:12:25 pm »
AAA points just changed irrespective of how the amount of climbing was calculated/derived.

Instead of earning points once you'd passed a threshold based on the ride distance you know earn points for all of the climbing on the ride as long as it passes the threshold based on distance.

Hence my example above. 0.25 (old) AAA for a 100km ride with 1800m climbing, or 1.75 (new) AAA for the same ride.

A 100km ride with 2800m climbing is 1.25 (old) AAA and 2.75 (new) AAA.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #15 on: 28 October, 2010, 08:06:24 pm »
AAA points just changed irrespective of how the amount of climbing was calculated/derived.

Instead of earning points once you'd passed a threshold based on the ride distance you know earn points for all of the climbing on the ride as long as it passes the threshold based on distance.

Hence my example above. 0.25 (old) AAA for a 100km ride with 1800m climbing, or 1.75 (new) AAA for the same ride.

A 100km ride with 2800m climbing is 1.25 (old) AAA and 2.75 (new) AAA.

As such you now need 20 points to get your name in the handbook.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #16 on: 28 October, 2010, 11:52:01 pm »
I hadn't noticed this award.
Apparently I got enough points last year, and did the same this year having ridden just two AAA rated rides  :)

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 29 October, 2010, 12:33:21 am »
Hence my example above. 0.25 1 (old) AAA for a 100km ride with 1800m climbing, or 1.75 (new) AAA for the same ride.

FYFY; it has resulted in some 100 rides losing their silver medal though; finding 200m extra climbing from an existing ride Darn Sarff to keep the medal is a tall order. When the rules changed I was afraid my (now) 1.75AAA event would not attract many riders over the (now) 1.5AAA beast when it was previously worth double points but in fact it's proved more popular than ever  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:11:41 am »

You learn something new every day.  I wonder when that changed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #19 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:39:41 am »

Yes, AIUI as long as you start a ride on 31st October (even if the first receipt is timed at 23:55) it counts for the current season.

This seems a strange way of doing things. I can see that having a cut-off made things simpler when the points table was maintained manually, but a rolling 12 month period would IMO be a fairer way of doing things. Surely a SR series is just as worthy of recording if it is in any 12 month period as it is if it is in a 12 month period starting on 31st October?

« Reply #20 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:08:52 am »
Not all awards are tied to the AUK year.  RRTY can be any consecutive 12 months, and the AAA award is not time-limited at all.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #21 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:09:05 am »
Is the official date for AUK season ending on the  the 31st Oct ? I need one more AAA event before the season closers. Thanks

This seems a strange way of doing things. I can see that having a cut-off made things simpler when the points table was maintained manually, but a rolling 12 month period would IMO be a fairer way of doing things. Surely a SR series is just as worthy of recording if it is in any 12 month period as it is if it is in a 12 month period starting on 31st October?

Well, if you do an SR every year it all evens out.

Anyway, only sad desperate types ride 600s once the clocks change. Apparently. So I'm told.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #22 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:18:56 am »
You learn something new every day.  I wonder when that changed.

I think it's always been that way - though it's only relatively recently that riders have pushed the boundaries to this extent.

Since AUK do not record finishing times, if you're going to give a ride a timestamp for results purposes the Start time is the obvious one to use - as is done with Calendar events.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #23 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:23:27 pm »
<Reductio ad absurdum>

Although if you started, e.g. TransAmerica Trail perm (6800km), on halloween you might not get your brevet card back in time to have it turned around for the awards.

</Reductio ad absurdum>

« Reply #24 on: 29 October, 2010, 10:56:28 pm »

It would make deciding who won the individual and club awards impossible without a start and end period.  Not all members think this would be  a problem though. Personally I find points motivating and yearly targets help that, whether it be 'get more than I did last year' or 'get more than someone else'.