Author Topic: Tandem to long tail cargo conversion  (Read 4071 times)

Tandem to long tail cargo conversion
« on: 15 December, 2021, 10:43:50 am »
I have a Raleigh pioneer tandem which doesn't get much use really especially as the back is too small for an adult. Even the front isn't suitable for anyone over about 5'8"

I'd love a cargo bike but don't really have funds, it would be for cargo not kids as my girls are both able to ride solo. Was wondering about maybe making a cargo frame that could sit on the back instead of the stoker, probably using a seatpost as the main point of fixation.

I've ridden the bike solo so know the handling will be different to a usual bike.

Anyone else done similar or got any thoughts. I have access to welder and engineering tools but wouldn't be welding or modifying frame as aluminium welding is beyond me

Re: Tandem to long tail cargo conversion
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2021, 12:15:40 pm »
I think I would be looking at using the currently available attachment points of stokers stem and seatpost for a frame to support largish bags or boxes.
What are you intending to carry? Would a rucksack (or two) each side for shopping work, or do you need to carry large items?
One thing you probably need to consider is a stand robust enough to support the bike while loading and unloading.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2021, 12:21:12 pm »
Largely the weekly shop so nothing massive.

The ones I've seen on Pinterest like you suggest use the stoker bar mount as well

Hadn't thought of the stand. Thanks

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2021, 07:23:33 pm »
I love the look of the Circe cargo conversion.

I was thinking of running something thin enough to hang panniers from down the back of my tandem, giving 4 or possibly 6 pannier bags.

« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2021, 07:44:42 pm »
The circe one does look good and building a box to sit on the rear rack and fix to the stoker bar stem would be pretty easy but think having something lower would be better better weight distribution

« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2021, 10:47:48 am »
We do a similar cargo conversion to the one pictured above with our Circe Helios.

If you don't mind having the cargo basket a little bit higher you can set it at the same height as the pannier rack which makes the conversion process very swift. Especially if you strap the front of the cargo rack attachment to the stoker bars rather than clamp them on. With that method I can convert between tandem/cargo in literally 2 minutes.

I'd leave a photo here if not for the fact that I'm currently at work and the browser police bots stop it.  I think there are photos of our Circe in cargo mode in the Utilitarian Adventures topic however.       

« Reply #6 on: 31 December, 2021, 09:43:45 am »
Thanks Joe, found a few pictures. Can you send me some more details please

« Reply #7 on: 31 December, 2021, 10:07:31 am »

No probs, I'll be in the garage fettling bikes later and will take some more photos.

I might be worth looking at Laidback Bikes website too, David has been using a Helios in cargo mode for the business for while now and has some words about it on his website.

« Reply #8 on: 31 December, 2021, 01:09:19 pm »

No probs, I'll be in the garage fettling bikes later and will take some more photos.

I might be worth looking at Laidback Bikes website too, David has been using a Helios in cargo mode for the business for while now and has some words about it on his website.

Some how between "working hard" I managed to find time. There are some great pictures on his site under the car free business bit

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #9 on: 01 January, 2022, 03:22:23 pm »
I've had my Circe Helios for 9 years, and I think it's only been used as a tandem a few times, right at the start.  It's left in permanent cargo bike mode, as it has a full length rack meaning you can fit 6 panniers onto it, plus whatever fits on top.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein