Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 81745 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Southend Football
« Reply #350 on: 11 April, 2021, 09:25:39 am »
I wonder how Altrincham would have coped in the 4th Division/League 2, had they been promoted
all those years ago when they used to regularly win the National League (or whatever it was called
bitd*)?

* for all those who throw abbreviations around.....back in the day...

Well, bitd (as you put it) the club finishing bottom of the English football league would apply for re-admission.  So as long as the chairman had plenty of mates in league, they stayed up. Otherwise they went down. Clubs hardly ever went down.
So the probable reason for Altrincham's failure to get promoted is Hartlepool, who as I understand it, hold the record for the most re-elections.

Eta. Hartlepool's record may of course be an urban myth as recounted to me by FiL and Bs iL
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #351 on: 11 April, 2021, 12:10:04 pm »
I wonder how Altrincham would have coped in the 4th Division/League 2, had they been promoted
all those years ago when they used to regularly win the National League (or whatever it was called
bitd*)?

* for all those who throw abbreviations around.....back in the day...

Well, bitd (as you put it) the club finishing bottom of the English football league would apply for re-admission.  So as long as the chairman had plenty of mates in league, they stayed up. Otherwise they went down. Clubs hardly ever went down.
So the probable reason for Altrincham's failure to get promoted is Hartlepool, who as I understand it, hold the record for the most re-elections.

Eta. Hartlepool's record may of course be an urban myth as recounted to me by FiL and Bs iL
IAKT. ::-)

« Reply #352 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:33:28 am »

Well, bitd (as you put it) the club finishing bottom of the English football league would apply for re-admission.  ....
[/quote]

All the 4 sides at the bottom of the Football League had to apply for re-election, not just the bottom side.

Before the formation of the Conference/ National League in 1979, any club could apply for promotion and often there were multiple non league clubs applying, thus splitting the votes for the non league sides.

The Conference was formed with the aim of only the winners of the conference applying for promotion. I believe it was a condition of membership of conference. Obviously this would not have stopped sides in say Isthmian or Northern Leagues applying if they wanted to as they were not part of pyramid in those days, but they were mainly the traditionally amateur clubs anyway

For the first 7 seasons of the Conference, there was no automatic promotion and none of the winners got promoted

Season   National League Champions   
1979–80   Altrincham   
1980–81   Altrincham
1981–82   Runcorn
1982–83   Enfield
1983–84   Maidstone United
1984–85   Wealdstone
1985–86   Enfield

The formation of the Conference came towards the end of Altrincham's dominance of non league football. They won the first 2 and never again.

1In 1987 Scarborough ( RIP) were the first club to gain automatic promotion under a then  unknown manager (Colin ......)

Altrincham never won Conference again, although they did win the FA Trophy in 1986 v Runcorn

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #353 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:17:14 pm »
Well, bitd (as you put it) the club finishing bottom of the English football league would apply for re-admission.  So as long as the chairman had plenty of mates in league, they stayed up.

The bottom 4 had to apply for re-election. In about 1962, Gateshead finished 3rd from bottom but were voted out, while the 2 clubs below them (and Peterborough of the Midland League) got more votes than they did.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #354 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:29:18 pm »
Peterborough was 1960-61, I believe.

They worked their way up to the 3rd Division, then were relegated to the 4th for cooking the books (I think they paid players too much)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #355 on: 14 April, 2021, 10:17:24 am »
Peterborough was 1960-61, I believe.

They worked their way up to the 3rd Division, then were relegated to the 4th for cooking the books (I think they paid players too much)

Peterborough were elected in to the football league at the end of the 1959/60 season ( interesting that of the 5 teams voted out since the formation of 4th Division in 1958, only southport it could be argued were not replaced by a team closer to London/ Majority of clubs)

Peterborough were relegated for financial irregularities in 1968

« Reply #356 on: 14 April, 2021, 10:33:15 am »
Barrow beat Exeter yesterday, so I think they are safe now (9 points ahead of Southend with a game in hand). Looks like it's 2 from Grimsby, Southend, and Colchester (assuming no points deductions for teams above).
It's strange how every week teams in the top few keep losing to the rest. Tranmere (4th) lost to Walsall (19th) yesterday (reduced schedule meant only 4 teams in the top 7 were playing, and 2 of them were against playoff hopefuls). Forrest Green (now in 7th) fired their boss a couple of days ago after losing 4 in a row.

« Reply #357 on: 14 April, 2021, 11:21:16 am »
Barrow beat Exeter yesterday, so I think they are safe now (9 points ahead of Southend with a game in hand). Looks like it's 2 from Grimsby, Southend, and Colchester (assuming no points deductions for teams above).
It's strange how every week teams in the top few keep losing to the rest. Tranmere (4th) lost to Walsall (19th) yesterday (reduced schedule meant only 4 teams in the top 7 were playing, and 2 of them were against playoff hopefuls). Forrest Green (now in 7th) fired their boss a couple of days ago after losing 4 in a row.

Think you are right, its I think a fight between Colchester & Southend for one Relegation place. I can't see Grimsby overhauling Colchester, despite the efforts of Colchester to force themselves into the relegation zone

« Reply #358 on: 17 April, 2021, 04:16:35 pm »
Grimsby won (they beat Bolton!), Southend drew, so Southend are only 1 point ahead (having played a game more). Colchester play later today.
County lost 0-1 at home to Cambridge, so are 7th and the playoffs are probably the limit of their ambition. :(

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #359 on: 17 April, 2021, 06:29:13 pm »
I don't know what the record number of 0 - 0  draws in a season is, but Southend seem to have had an awful lot.

I just checked: 9 so far. That is a lot. There's some football forum I found in which someone thinks that 9 all season is a record. I doubt that that is true, but Southend could well get into double figures by the time the season ends.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #360 on: 17 April, 2021, 08:42:23 pm »
And a win for Colchester! That gives them a 6-point buffer with 4 games to go...

« Reply #361 on: 17 April, 2021, 08:44:49 pm »
I hadn't checked as recorded fa cup semi so avoiding sports. Honestly before Colchester played and when Southend drew I would have backed Southend to stay up but a win today changes everything

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #362 on: 17 April, 2021, 09:02:35 pm »
Whilst trying to fond the answer to the "most goalless draws" question, I stumbled across a small factoid relevant to Southend: Freddy Eastwood, who is probably one of the best players Southend ever had, holds the record for the fastest goal on league debut for any club: 7 seconds. (16th October 2004 v Swansea)

« Reply #363 on: 17 April, 2021, 09:20:59 pm »
Colchester v Southend on Tuesday. A home win will all but make relegation mathematically certain for Southend. Then southend play Orient on Saturday which could guarantee their relegation

2 nearest rivals geographically could relegate them

« Reply #364 on: 20 April, 2021, 07:47:53 pm »
Sorry wow but its not currently looking good for Southend

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #365 on: 20 April, 2021, 09:26:11 pm »

Wot?  You mean they've not been invited to join the European Super League?  Bloody hell!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #366 on: 20 April, 2021, 11:15:28 pm »

Don't be sorry - my interest in Southend isn't because I support them. It's because I've been campaigning on environmental issues for a couple of decades and throughout that time there has been a threat to build a stupid out-of-town stadium designed for >20000 people, which will have a seriously deleterious effect on some rather good countryside and the already overcrowded roads around the place.

As someone who believes a town should be for people rather than for a small number to make a large amount of money from, I'd like to see Southend have a football team and that team do well. But not under the current structure when everything depends on the whim of one man (the owner) and the fans just go along with it because they haven't got the vision to see that it can be done better/differently. Southend's demise to the national League will put a very interesting spin on this prolonged effort to build a stadium far bigger than a club like Southend will ever need. It might stop it all together.

« Reply #367 on: 21 April, 2021, 07:55:08 am »
One more win for Barrow and Southend are relegated.

« Reply #368 on: 21 April, 2021, 08:33:25 am »
Yeah, Southend are going to go down unless some other club gets a points penalty.

After I said that the top was unstable, every club in the top 9 won except for the draw between 6 and 8!

« Reply #369 on: 21 April, 2021, 02:54:02 pm »
One more win for Barrow and Southend are relegated.

Don't even need Barrow to win. any point dropped for Southend or a draw in final 3 games for Barrow would be enough

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #370 on: 24 April, 2021, 05:11:01 pm »
Southend and Grimsby both won - Barrow lost. Still it's unclear who gets relegated.

I understand that the Southend Borough Council are still intending to go ahead with permission for the stupid great stadium even when there's most unlikely to be any league football to play there.

« Reply #371 on: 25 April, 2021, 08:44:08 am »
Barrow's game in hand is against Forrest Green (just inside playoffs, but managerless) on Tuesday.  Then it's a huge game - Barrow vs Southend. And on the final weekend, Barrow go to Exeter (who are just outside the playoffs) and Southend host Newport (just inside the playoffs). Relegation and playoffs seem inextricably tied together.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #372 on: 27 April, 2021, 07:22:23 pm »
And Barrow are currently leading against us at the moment...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #373 on: 27 April, 2021, 07:34:53 pm »
Leading more now...

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #374 on: 27 April, 2021, 07:44:46 pm »
Jaded. I didn't realise that you played for Forest Green.  Is it wise to be posting during a game?  No wonder you're losing.