Author Topic: TCR no8.  (Read 85723 times)

Re: TCR no8.
« Reply #250 on: 03 March, 2020, 11:22:05 am »
Yes please. That has made the dot watching process a lot more interesting and understandable.

« Reply #251 on: 03 March, 2020, 12:50:52 pm »
Sorry to hear that you didn't get your CP gig Bludger.
I wouldn't read too much into the previous TPR application connection. The team that run TCR is very bare bones so its easy to miss things like that. Rory has exited now too so a heck of a lot on the plate for the remaining team. Volunteers are imperative.
I'd like to thank all the helpers as well.
 I got to meet my dot watcher from TCRno6. at last years finish (he was racing and introduced himself) so I was able to thank him and appologise for the  extra work I foisted on him off route in Bosnia and doubling back up the Mangart etc.
I'll likely volunteer to dot watch next year situation allowing.
My wife who managed the finish at Brest was on a communication channel that linked all the CP's.
As I understand it there is another channel that the dot watchers use so there is a community there to support those volunteers and keep then connected to events.
often lost.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #252 on: 03 March, 2020, 02:11:53 pm »
Yeah I don't feel hard done by and appreciate it is very much a delicate operation. I should probably have made more of an effort to ask directly instead of mentioning it in the application - worse, I was actually at the official opening of the race route at LMNH a few weeks ago so could have asked in person. Oh well.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #253 on: 03 March, 2020, 09:41:09 pm »
I’ve got a place at Montenegro CP3, straggler shift. I’ve promised to cycle all the way there...

The email says CP1 and 2 were oversubscribed so you were much less likely to get a place if those were your only options.

bludger

« Reply #254 on: 03 March, 2020, 09:50:45 pm »
Ah that makes sense I only asked for 2 and 3. The road not taken!

Ban cars.

« Reply #255 on: 04 March, 2020, 06:01:02 am »
I’ve got a place at Montenegro CP3, straggler shift. I’ve promised to cycle all the way there...

The email says CP1 and 2 were oversubscribed so you were much less likely to get a place if those were your only options.

Durmitor and surroundings are beautiful; I hope you get the chance to ride a bit when you are there.  The route in from Sarajevo to Pluzine is really beautiful, then the massif is stunning - like a different world up there.  And the Tara Gorge  south of the control is also stunning (allegedly, I rode it at night so have only seen @Karla's pictures).
I expect they don't dot watch your route down so, if you are short on time, jumping on the new sleeper from Brussels to Vienna might be an option!

« Reply #256 on: 04 March, 2020, 06:04:11 am »
If anyone wants any more info or advice on dotwatching, let me know: I wrote a short guide after I did it that I can share.

I've had a quick look and not been able to find it.  I'll post it here when I do.

« Reply #257 on: 04 March, 2020, 06:08:54 am »
Rory has exited now

That's a shame - I hadn't heard that (or maybe it wasn't public knowledge, until now!  :))

« Reply #258 on: 04 March, 2020, 12:53:25 pm »
Rory has exited now

That's a shame - I hadn't heard that (or maybe it wasn't public knowledge, until now!  :))

He made a public announcement a few days ago.
often lost.

« Reply #259 on: 04 March, 2020, 01:20:23 pm »

Durmitor and surroundings are beautiful; I hope you get the chance to ride a bit when you are there.  The route in from Sarajevo to Pluzine is really beautiful, then the massif is stunning - like a different world up there.  And the Tara Gorge  south of the control is also stunning (allegedly, I rode it at night so have only seen @Karla's pictures).
I expect they don't dot watch your route down so, if you are short on time, jumping on the new sleeper from Brussels to Vienna might be an option!

I concur, a very beautiful part of the world to ride. I got to enjoy the gorge during day light on TCR no6.  It was a welcome highlight after a rough  day off route on the R433. I had ended up the previous night in the bizarre Hotel Moskva in Kalinovik after a day of unrideable gravel. There was a photo of Putin proudly staring down over the reception. The hole experience was pretty trippy. The weird vibe continued on the pre dawn departure when I rode past the mist enveloped statue of Ratio Mladić the Butcher of Bosnia. Still a local hero for some apparently. I was super glad to get on the M18 later that morning.
often lost.

« Reply #260 on: 05 March, 2020, 06:19:02 am »
Rory has exited now

He made a public announcement a few days ago.

OK, I missed that.  What was it - wants to spend more time with family....?

Does that mean it is just Anna running everything?  I hope she isn't overwhelmed.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #261 on: 05 March, 2020, 12:33:20 pm »

« Reply #262 on: 05 March, 2020, 01:09:04 pm »
I am so out of the loop by not being on instagram!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #263 on: 05 March, 2020, 03:29:49 pm »

Given all the travel bans and event cancellations going on, what is the general thought on the tcr being effected by this virus thing?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bludger

« Reply #264 on: 05 March, 2020, 03:37:32 pm »
The travel stuff would be problematic if people were flying. For those cycling, using most trains and driving vans I should think there won't be a problem. Potentially some racers/controllers will pull out from sickness though.

Ban cars.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #265 on: 05 March, 2020, 03:38:48 pm »
The travel stuff would be problematic if people were flying. For those cycling, using most trains and driving vans I should think there won't be a problem. Potentially some racers/controllers will pull out from sickness though.

Gonna liven up route planning if we have to avoid quarantine zones. At least this years route doesn't involve Italy...

J
--

bludger

« Reply #266 on: 05 March, 2020, 03:50:14 pm »
On the other hand if there are people laid up with/recovering from the flu maybe they'll be minded to dot watch...

Ban cars.

Phil W

« Reply #267 on: 05 March, 2020, 05:58:03 pm »
On the other hand if there are people laid up with/recovering from the flu maybe they'll be minded to dot watch...

If they are laid up with flu they won’t be minded to dot watch I wouldn’t think.

My wife came home from work with flu today.  She’s been mostly in bed asleep with a hot water bottle and still feels cold.  She managed 20 min downstairs just now when I made her another cup of tea and fresh hot water bottle. She’s just gone back to bed. In other words she’s wiped out.  Which is what I’d expect when flu sets in.

Covid19 is confirmed round here (nearest 1.5 miles away, another 6 miles away in the town my wife works in), though no many cases (yet)

Whatever she has I can’t see me avoiding it, however much I’m washing my hands. We can but hope, firstly that it’s normal flu, and secondly the symptoms are mild in our case.

Davef

« Reply #268 on: 05 March, 2020, 06:31:49 pm »
Stopping usage of public transport is one of the more extreme contingencies. You can still cycle but the wet bit would be a challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bludger

« Reply #269 on: 05 March, 2020, 07:23:02 pm »
Local connections ought to be open - but I wouldn't count out a reduced service on long distance trains and coaches.

The safest bet would probably be a van share. Or better yet a private coach.

Ban cars.

« Reply #270 on: 07 March, 2020, 11:58:16 am »
We have plans to head to Brittany via Boston to pick up our new bikes next month and to get a bit of training in etc. I guess we will wait and see how events unfold.
Back home here in Bermuda there are no recorded cases on the Island as yet. Thats obviously just a question of time with the cruise ship season imminent and so many business/vacation travellers.
We have a vacation rental on the property here (bikes for the guests if course!) and its booked out at the moment. Id wager that there will be cancellations and no shows in the near future.
Interesting times
often lost.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #271 on: 07 March, 2020, 01:08:39 pm »
I'd imagine one of the biggest disruptors to public transport will be staff not turning up out of fear.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #272 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:21:07 pm »

So how do we rate the chances of this one going ahead?

J
--

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #273 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:32:01 pm »
I'll put in a bid at 5%

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #274 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:46:49 pm »
I'll put in a bid at 5%
Yeah, it's gotta be low :( Mainly as so many different territories need traversing.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles