Author Topic: Pencil Erasers  (Read 3218 times)

Re: Pencil Erasers
« Reply #25 on: 17 July, 2020, 08:46:21 pm »
"Laying the table" implies some kind of perversion there too.

« Reply #26 on: 17 July, 2020, 10:02:36 pm »
FWIW, I use 4B pencils - moah blackness for less digging - so it's easier to erase cleanly when the bowing changes [often on a weekly basis..]

I guess D's music is a couple of feet from his eyes? Mine is more like twice that, and I'm sharing it .. [inna Norchestra]

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 17 July, 2020, 11:22:22 pm »
D's music is not very distant when he writes it or produces scores, further away on the grand piano but closer on an upright. He has different spectacles for distance and intermediate use.
He just does without specs for reading.

D does not like smears...

I'm always amazed how violinists can read music 4 feet away...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 18 July, 2020, 06:34:58 pm »
My eldest daughter spent 4 years in the USA on a soccer scholarship.  Early on, she asked in class to borrow a "rubber".  That word has another connotation over there - she didn't know.  She does now.
Ahhhh!
I think it is similar in Oz.

Wherein "Durex", or so I'm told, is a local version of Sellotape.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #29 on: 18 July, 2020, 08:49:50 pm »
My eldest daughter spent 4 years in the USA on a soccer scholarship.  Early on, she asked in class to borrow a "rubber".  That word has another connotation over there - she didn't know.  She does now.
Ahhhh!

Correct - to the best of my knowledge.

« Reply #30 on: 19 July, 2020, 11:48:32 am »
questionable prophylactic qualities, the 'other' Durex, so I'm told.... :o

cheers

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #31 on: 19 July, 2020, 12:46:37 pm »
When I did Technical Drawing as a spotty yoof (Grade 4 CSE)  my teacher used to say that in a professional drawing office they would use electric rubbers,  I've just googled & they are actually a Real Thing ....

For erasing ink lines drawn on tracing paper, you needed them!  A chunky line drawn with a Rotring pen, with its ink so dense I'm convinced one drop could turn the worlds oceans grey, does take quite a bit of shifting.

Our drawing office in which I worked had one, but excess use of it didn't go unnoticed... Sometimes you were carrying out legitimate amending of a design, but at other times it was 'cos you'd screwed up.  A bit easier in CAD, where its select, then hit the delete key, and its gone cleanly.
Wombat

« Reply #32 on: 19 July, 2020, 01:56:16 pm »
I find the only pencil erasers that work are the ones made from the special stuff

click

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 19 July, 2020, 09:07:46 pm »
Ahhhh!

I tried SO hard to make this subject SFW...  ;) ;D

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #34 on: 20 July, 2020, 03:50:03 pm »
When I did Technical Drawing as a spotty yoof (Grade 4 CSE)  my teacher used to say that in a professional drawing office they would use electric rubbers,  I've just googled & they are actually a Real Thing ....

For erasing ink lines drawn on tracing paper, you needed them!  A chunky line drawn with a Rotring pen, with its ink so dense I'm convinced one drop could turn the worlds oceans grey, does take quite a bit of shifting.

Our drawing office in which I worked had one, but excess use of it didn't go unnoticed... Sometimes you were carrying out legitimate amending of a design, but at other times it was 'cos you'd screwed up.  A bit easier in CAD, where its select, then hit the delete key, and its gone cleanly.

After getting thrown out of Art Skool I scored some employment as a technical illustrator at the big Maxwell house up on Headington Hill in Oxford in the drawing office at Pergamon Press. Said 'office' housed at least a dozen wonderful heavy weighted fetishistic parallel motion drawing boards and high stools. New recruits like myself sat at the back of the room. As one 'progressed' through service or more importantly, productivity, we moved towards the front, which was glass fronted and overlooked Oxford's manifold spires. I progressed rather quickly to the annoyance of several old retainer cardiganed pipe smoking duffers and enjoyed monthly bonusses as well as a board at the front ;D

Any road up, all of my 'illustrating' was done in ink via bow pens on thick tracing paper - the method for 'erasing' errors was to scratch the ink off with a scalpel.

I drove an Austin A40 (Farina, Horizon Blue), wore loon pants and took acid at the weekends, sometimes up Wittenham Clumps at dawn

ps thanks to this thread I've ordered Brucey's Pentel recommendation

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 23 July, 2020, 08:50:41 am »
Thanks everyone!

I think I'll send D to the local Ryman for both a Tombow Mono and Staedtler Mars.

Then he can play...

And the result was?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: 23 July, 2020, 08:56:51 am »
Ahhhh!

That is about as accurate as the 'corks on hats' and 'drop bears'.

Never, in 20-odd years did I hear someone call sticky tape 'Durex'.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #37 on: 23 July, 2020, 09:24:43 am »
Perhaps they learned the hard way.....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 23 July, 2020, 03:17:03 pm »
Thanks everyone!
I think I'll send D to the local Ryman for both a Tombow Mono and Staedtler Mars.
Then he can play...
And the result was?

He said he wasn't planning to go that way any time soon...